Magnetic oil drain plugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As soon as I do my next OCI, I will be using my new magnetic drain plug that BITOG member spasm3 was so kind to make for my F150's 4.2V6 engine.
He does some fine work, huh?
smile.gif

I've used them for years on motorcycles and often, when removed, they will have quiet a bit of black stuff on them that is obviously metallic and takes some wiping to remove. Whether this matters or not, I don't know.
Makes me feel better.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
I bought one of those red/blue ones off Amazon

Gonna try it next oil change

Be careful with those if it is aluminum, they are very weak. If you are going to use one get a good one like the gold plugs or dimple.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: CT8
Magnetic drain plugs can't hurt.

Unless they do, of course.

AFAIK, nobody knows.
They didn't hurt any of the engines that had magnetic drain plugs.

Didn't say they did.

I said that as far as I know, no one knows.

Well...apparently you BOTH know. How long has the magnetic drain plug existed? Longer than all of us, yes? One person asserts that they did not hurt any of the engines in which they were installed (likely only statistically, and not absolutely true) and you (as good as) concur then state that "nobody knows." Huh? That's called empirical evidence. It's the primary way we learn things.

I have one. I also have a magnetic dipstick which I think makes a whole lot more sense.

That must be why they don't, AFAIK, exist, and I had to make it myself.

Wait, what? A magnetic dipstick "makes much more sense" than a magnetic drain plug (to you) therefore it does not exist? How does that follow? Forget the obvious (a magnetic dipstick makes much LESS sense, because, by design, you access it much more frequently than a drain plug, and you want to be able to do so quickly, i.e. without having to remove tiny bits of metal). Let's assume you're right and a magnetic dipstick makes as much sense as the intermittent windshield wiper or the Post-It note. I genuinely have no idea if you're trying to make a point (or what it is) or just be contrary. About all I can glean from your post is that there is always some level of uncertainty in the universe.

The thing is you don't want Fe metals going through the oil pump. Magnetic drain plugs help keep significant sized pieces out of circulation. They make them for almost every sized drain hole and thread.

Adding to oil filter is good too
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
I bought one of those red/blue ones off Amazon

Gonna try it next oil change

Be careful with those if it is aluminum, they are very weak. If you are going to use one get a good one like the gold plugs or dimple.

Yep. We just had a recent thread here where someone bought a cheap magnetic plug and it was leaking. The threads were not the same. Stay away from cheap deals.

Originally Posted By: beanoil
Gold Plugs in every vehicle I own.
Gold Plug

x2

The quality on the machining of these drain plugs is incredible.

Originally Posted By: Convert
I use dimple drain plugs.

Have these in the sump and transaxle drain holes.

I plan on buying their small button magnets for the outside of the oil filter as well.
wink.gif

+1 on that! Keeping ferrous (hard) metal out of the oil pump which is pre filter is a real good thing. Sure cars go life long without one but this Bitog and anyone that is that much into lubricants and belong to a forum about oil is 100% over the top anyway.
lol.gif

I bought a Gold Plug for my car, but not because I was so concerned about metal in oil. I bought it because I wanted something that didn't round off the bolt head like the OEM unit did. I do every oil change myself, so I couldn't have gone crazy over-tightening the plug.

Originally Posted By: 853okg

Well...apparently you BOTH know. How long has the magnetic drain plug existed? Longer than all of us, yes? One person asserts that they did not hurt any of the engines in which they were installed (likely only statistically, and not absolutely true) and you (as good as) concur then state that "nobody knows." Huh? That's called empirical evidence. It's the primary way we learn things.

No it isn't. Its called an unsupported assertion. Locally its known as "Nothing blew up".

I have one. I also have a magnetic dipstick which I think makes a whole lot more sense.

That must be why they don't, AFAIK, exist, and I had to make it myself.

Originally Posted By: 853okg

Wait, what? A magnetic dipstick "makes much more sense" than a magnetic drain plug (to you) therefore it does not exist? How does that follow? Forget the obvious (a magnetic dipstick makes much LESS sense, because, by design, you access it much more frequently than a drain plug, and you want to be able to do so quickly, i.e. without having to remove tiny bits of metal). Let's assume you're right and a magnetic dipstick makes as much sense as the intermittent windshield wiper or the Post-It note. I genuinely have no idea if you're trying to make a point (or what it is) or just be contrary. About all I can glean from your post is that there is always some level of uncertainty in the universe.

Then you're easily confused by thinking outside of your (or the) box.

I'm not sure I can fix that, but I can re-state and/or expand on some of the bleeding obvious for you if that'll help. Life is too short to address ALL the fallacies in your original post

A magnetic dipstick makes a lot more sense (to me, obviously) since it gives you on-demand access to whatever diagnostic information the magnet provides. A magnetic drain plug...er...doesn't, unless you want to drain your oil every time you fancy seeing what's on it.

IF the metal removed is a significant benefit, which is open to doubt, a dipstick removes it. A drain plug..er..doesn't. It leaves it in place and magnetises it, with the possibility of it becoming detached.

I said a magnetic dipstick doesn't AFAIK exist (as a commercial product is implied, since I made one) since AFAIK they don't exist as a commercial product (for cars, I think they do for motorcycles).

That should be quite difficult to misunderstand, but if you really try hard it can apparently be done.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
As soon as I do my next OCI, I will be using my new magnetic drain plug that BITOG member spasm3 was so kind to make for my F150's 4.2V6 engine.
smile.gif

If that's a laptop I wouldn't want that thing any closer than that to it, and I'd prefer it further away.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
smile.gif

If that's a laptop I wouldn't want that thing any closer than that to it, and I'd prefer it further away.

Why?
confused2.gif

I have a nice beefy one installed on my Fusion. Here's what it looked like when I did the first change after my cylinder head work:

vq4miv.jpg

IMHO, definitely worth having one.

Thanks for all the responses, much appreciated. I have one in my Veloster and one in my 166k mile Sequoia. The one in the sequioia has never attracted any material at all, it totally amazes me. The Hyundai gets just a speck or two on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back