MAF Trouble Code false alarm!

My friend's son called and asked me about a trouble code on his low mileage 2018 Traverse. OReilly or whoever told him it was the MAF. I asked him to come over and we would spray it Rainman style and clear the codes. Cole comes over, we lift the hood and the electrical connector is sitting there disconnected. What? Plugged it in and cleared the codes. Nice smooth idle... We will watch it and see what happens. Cole has 4 young girls and works 2 jobs. Great kid! Well, he's not really a kid anymore, but just the same...

The MAF has a lock in mechanism; how does this even happen?

Was it serviced recently? On some cars, removing the air filter housing is made easier by unplugging the MAF.
I think you are right. There are 5 filter box screws; the rear is almost directly under the connector. And it was not fully seated.
If someone did not have (or was too lazy to get) a long Phillips, the handle would be in the way. I don't like the fasteners on this AF anyway.

Good call!

The MAF has a lock in mechanism; how does this even happen?

One word, actually three words. Parts Changing Monkeys! They're always in a hurry and they frequently RIP connectors apart and break the locking tabs. The US MIL has a term for failures like this; "Induced Failures". Meaning failures that were caused by improper maintenance. Some studies that the USAF and USN have conducted show that the Induced Failures can be as high as 8 to 10 times higher than failures due to component failures. That's one reason why in the US Mil you are REQUIRED to have the proper Tech Manual on hand and open to the appropriate section when conducting most maintenance activities.

This is one of the reasons why many of us refuse to allow the stealerships and the like to work on our cars and why we work on them ourselves.

One word, actually three words. Parts Changing Monkeys! They're always in a hurry and they frequently RIP connectors apart and break the locking tabs. The US MIL has a term for failures like this; "Induced Failures". Meaning failures that were caused by improper maintenance. Some studies that the USAF and USN have conducted show that the Induced Failures can be as high as 8 to 10 times higher than failures due to component failures. That's one reason why in the US Mil you are REQUIRED to have the proper Tech Manual on hand and open to the appropriate section when conducting most maintenance activities.

This is one of the reasons why many of us refuse to allow the stealerships and the like to work on our cars and why we work on them ourselves.
I'm sure you are right on this one. The last person who swapped the air filter left it undone. Beyond that, the air box design is not that good, IMO.

My last two oil changes from two different vendors have resulted in MAF codes being set. Cleaned the sensor both times and it re set after a short drive cycle. Go figure.

Just happened AGAIN. Oil change on Thursday June 15, MAF engine code 24 hours later. There has to be a connection between the two events, but WHAT!!?? Are they pulling the wiring harness off the MAF to allow easier access to open the air box to inspect the air filter? Just change the ##@@&& oil!!

Just happened AGAIN. Oil change on Thursday June 15, MAF engine code 24 hours later. There has to be a connection between the two events, but WHAT!!?? Are they pulling the wiring harness off the MAF to allow easier access to open the air box to inspect the air filter? Just change the ##@@&& oil!!
Check if the intake boot is cracked. If not, the MAF is the issue. Common problems on these Nissans.

I guess after 13 years and 104k miles I shouldn’t complain. Anything short of a new car monthly payment is a win. I haven’t given up hope yet. One long drive cycle might reset it. I pulled it out and gave it a good spray of cleaner. God help me I’m so darn cheap!!

My question remains. Why, how does an oil change cause a MAF sensor code to set?? It makes no sense to me. Never mind, there’s more complicated issues on this forum. Back to lurking.

Are they pulling the wiring harness off the MAF to allow easier access to open the air box to inspect the air filter?
Probably! You (we all) need to start checking under the hood any time that you let someone else work on the car.

Back