M1 0W40 in Toyota 4.0l V6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner
Mobil 1 0W-40 is on the light side of SAE40 as you stated. You can run it without trouble and will likely not perceive any performance changes. I had 2 jugs of M1 0W-40 left over from BMW ownership and am now using it in my Frontier which specifies 5W-30. I can't tell any difference. My driving conditions show much more of a variation in fuel economy than the small viscosity increase from the Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 I had been using. With the M1 0W-40 I am extending my previous warranty mandated 5k OCI to 7.5k.

+1 Joshua
Well said mate.

Originally Posted By: car51
Yes, they are valid if you buy at Wal Mart as I got two jugs of M1 there and 13 weeks later got my rebate checks
smile.gif

Awesome, thanks.

Overkill my [censored]. If you can get the M1 cheap enough then go for it! Won't be any difference between it and a sturdy 30 weight.

Many of the high quality 5w40s and 0w40s seem to be heavy 30's anyway. Great middle ground if you ask me.

Yes i got my 2 rebates already, My one son got his two and my other son is waiting for his... Mobil is on top of their rebates i guess they know if they beat people out of their rebates people will not trust them or buy their oil.

Family own a 2003 Toyota LandCruiser Prado with the 1GR-FE 4L V6. The Toyota Dealership it has been serviced at was using Castrol Magnatec 10w30 in it. Before it did a 5000KM (3000mi) trip with the maximum permissible towing load, I changed the oil on it with Valvoline SynPower 5w40 (the A3/B4, BMW LL-01 etc oil).

I think the manual "specs" down to a 5w30, but here in Australia, I can comfortably say that 15w40 is in the manual, but not 100% on 20w50 (or 15w50).

Do you run OEM intervals? Highway, city and/or towing? Whats the typical winter cold-start temperature going to be?
Does yours have the "Toyota Tick?"

If not too cold, a good 10w30 (esp. an A3/B4 type not designed for the marginal economy improvements of ILSAC/CAFE oil) will probably serve you well. As would a 0w40, 5w40 or even 5w30.
If doing lots of towing or 4WD work, probably stick with a 5w40 or 10w40, as I'm not entirely sure whether the 1GR-FE is particularly prone to shearing oils.

Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck
M1 0W40, $2/quart after rebate it is.

Certainly a great deal. I like to use one oil in everything (cars, trucks, OPE, air compressor, etc) to avoid storage proliferation and after my decade plus stash of Castrol green 0W30 finally ran out this year, M1 0W40 is my new fave.

Toyota's seem to do fine on lighter oils, the only one I know of that really benefits from a 0w40-10w60 oil is the GT86. Honda is another story.

Originally Posted By: B320i
Family own a 2003 Toyota LandCruiser Prado with the 1GR-FE 4L V6. The Toyota Dealership it has been serviced at was using Castrol Magnatec 10w30 in it. Before it did a 5000KM (3000mi) trip with the maximum permissible towing load, I changed the oil on it with Valvoline SynPower 5w40 (the A3/B4, BMW LL-01 etc oil).

I think the manual "specs" down to a 5w30, but here in Australia, I can comfortably say that 15w40 is in the manual, but not 100% on 20w50 (or 15w50).

Do you run OEM intervals? Highway, city and/or towing? Whats the typical winter cold-start temperature going to be?
Does yours have the "Toyota Tick?"

If not too cold, a good 10w30 (esp. an A3/B4 type not designed for the marginal economy improvements of ILSAC/CAFE oil) will probably serve you well. As would a 0w40, 5w40 or even 5w30.
If doing lots of towing or 4WD work, probably stick with a 5w40 or 10w40, as I'm not entirely sure whether the 1GR-FE is particularly prone to shearing oils.

Very interesting. What does the Australian spec 1GR-FE say regarding oil in the 30-50F (0-10C) temperature range?

Originally Posted By: Trav
Toyota's seem to do fine on lighter oils, the only one I know of that really benefits from a 0w40-10w60 oil is the GT86. Honda is another story.

Depends on the Toyota. My gear driven pushrod straight 6 could run on anything but prefers a 40 wt, even in a cold weather climate. A twin turbo 1jz or 2jz or forced induction 4age/3stge likes a 40 wt or 15w50 for heat management.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I should have said modern Toyota engines, like that better?
lol.gif

I suppose. To me a 2jzgte is still pretty modern though.

Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck
Toyota calls for 5W30 in the 1GR-FE V6 of the 2nd gen Tacoma.
Since after a few miles thousand miles dino oil tends to break down faster and have higher viscosity, I'm considering using synthetic M1 0W40 whose viscosity (hot) is likely close to that of used dino 5W30. Toyota engineers must have considered this change of viscosity in recommending 5W30 for dino oil.

Another reason I'm considering M1 0W40 is because many on BITOG rave about it. I've read here that off-the-shelf M1 0W40 is used straight in F1 engines. I've also read it's on the thin side of 40.

What's your take?

I'm going for a conservative 5K OCI.

Hi DrRoughneck - Just wanted to reach out and see if you've considered trying Pennzoil Synthetics? We are currently running our Pennzoil Used Oil Analysis program, and we think you'd be a great candidate. Through the program, you'll get a chance to test out our motor oil in your Tundra along with complimentary, unbiased lab results from Blackstone. If you're interested, please send a private message for more details. Talk soon! -Gena & The Pennzoil Team

Back from the dead thread

Today I just did a 6 month service on my 18 4Runner at the dealer and had them dump the factory 0w20 fill and put M1 0w40 in.
(I got a great price and am us8ng severe service intervals for what I plan to use the truck for.)
Here is an interesting observation. No impact to acceleration or performance.and on first measure no negative impact to mileage.

It is a 50 mile drive to my dealer. Winds were light today so they had no impact on mileage.
Tripmcomputer said 20 mpg to the dealer on 0w20, the trip back measured 22.4mpg after the oil change. Over 10%better.
Now the wildcard. I filled up with ethanol free gasoline before heading home I always get better mileage with the good gas.
Regardless I am real happy and can’t detect a difference.

Ii addition I had an interesting conversation with the quick lane advisor, the Toyota service advisor and the general manager concerning the oil choice, but knowing the page number in the owners manual where this is allowed cleared the confusion.
The Service advisor gave the “anything but 0w20 will void the power train warranty” line and I gave page numbers that Toyota USA published. I actually appreciated their concern and told them so and they actually appreciated learning about the leeway that Toyota gave in the manual stating that higher grades may be used For high load use.
Keeper dealership.

Last edited:
So my take on this... This engine can be run on almost anything from 0w-20 to 15w-40 without issue. Of course selection can be better paired with driving style, usage and temperature.

Ex.
Lots of short trips, cold climate, hyper ,mile-ling : 0w-20 is better
Towing, running hard/high RPM's, hot temperatures : Xw-40 is better

My vote goes to the middle ground of running a 5w-30.

OR use whatever oil you have in stock or get cheap in the above range of viscosity and run at appropriate interval. Chances of wearing this engine out before the body is probably impossible. That's my guess.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr

Today I just did a 6 month service on my 18 4Runner at the dealer and had them dump the factory 0w20 fill and put M1 0w40 in.
(I got a great price and am us8ng severe service intervals for what I plan to use the truck for.)
Here is an interesting observation. No impact to acceleration or performance.and on first measure no negative impact to mileage.

It is a 50 mile drive to my dealer. Winds were light today so they had no impact on mileage.
Tripmcomputer said 20 mpg to the dealer on 0w20, the trip back measured 22.4mpg after the oil change. Over 10%better.
Now the wildcard. I filled up with ethanol free gasoline before heading home I always get better mileage with the good gas.
Regardless I am real happy and can’t detect a difference. .
Ii addition I had an interesting conversation with the quick lane advisor, the Toyota service advisor and the general manager concerning the oil choice, but knowing the page number in the owners manual where this is allowed cleared the confusion.
The Service advisor gave the “anything but 0w20 will void the power train warranty” line and I gave page numbers that Toyota USA published. I actually appreciated their concern and told them so and they actually appreciated learning about the leeway that Toyota gave in the manual stating that higher grades may be used For high load use.
Keeper dealership.
A trip down to Farmington Bryan. That place has changed a lot in forty years.

Last edited:
Mobil Australia shows 5W-30 to 10W-40 for the same engine in various Hilux trims. I use it in everything I own, including 2UZ-EF engines.

Originally Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey
Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr

Regardless I am real happy and can’t detect a difference. .
Keeper dealership.
A trip down to Farmington Bryan. That place has changed a lot in forty years.

Reverse it, my sig is wrong. Live in Farmington now, dealer is in Durango.

Is the engine quieter on the 0w-40 compared to the lighter grades?

Does the engine feel less willing to rev. or sluggish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back