Ca 1048
Mn 12
V 0

Soot 0
Sulf 25
Oxid 22
Nitr 15

Viscosity: 9.49

Note that during this sample I had 2 mechanical issues crop up - first, the battery quit on the car, and that involved a lot of cranking to try and get it going before replacing it; and second, the alternator went out soon after that, which caused the vehicle to sit idle for more than a month before repairing it. I added the very, very thick OS to protect the engine during this period, but fixed the car soon after I added it.

Overall I think the results are good given the conditions, but Si is stubbornly high, has been on all reports. However, recently I investigated and found that tree seeds left under the car by birds are getting sucked into the air box and pushing the air filter out of its slot, so I removed that...we'll see if it works.

You can see that the OS thickened the oil quit a bit, BUT it didn't raise additive levels like I thought it might. Guess there is not that much in it...

Anyways, comments welcome!

Good analysis during the Canadian cold winter months! Something's been amiss with the air induction system. May want to inspect vacuum lines and air cleaner element again for leaks to lower silicon (23) since its been high on multiple analysis'.

The higher than normal viscosity of 9.49 is likely from the 1/2 quart of Motomaster Oil Stabilizer.

The OS barely pushed it into a 30 grade, not a problem really, but it appears to have dinged your add pack pretty good.

A lot of those thickener additives have virtually nothing in them but ultra thick oil. Lucas is guilty of the same thing. STP has some additives but you won't get an add pack boost out of it, it needs to be regarded primarily as an oil thickener as well IMO.

I think your report is good.

I wasn't really planning on adding anything to the oil, I really wanted to get a straight run on the M1, with the exception of using QSUD as top-off (it was on sale when I needed top-off oil).

But then the truck was out of commission at the end of the winter, and I was really, really worried about internal corrosion from the damp, cold weather, and I had the OS just sitting around, so I dumped it in, figuring that's kinda what its for...

That said, 'most' of this run is just straight M1, so I think it did great. Even the high Si values aren't really affecting wear.

Agreed. Engine started much easier with this oil in it than conventional 5W-20, and it was a cold winter.

With my battery dying during the winter, I'm sure I got a couple of starts I shouldn't have b/c the oil was light enough.

...only problem is I got some start-up chatter with this oil that I have never had before...not sure I is a big issue, but I'm thinking of going with 0W-30 this coming winter to see if it stops it.

But, hard to argue with the results the 0W-20 AFE gave.

I completely forgot to post that - an M1-210.

Have only used inexpensive filters before this, don't know if it had any thing to do with the start-up chatter.

Originally Posted By: addyguy

...only problem is I got some start-up chatter with this oil that I have never had before...not sure I is a big issue, but I'm thinking of going with 0W-30 this coming winter to see if it stops it.

Was this before or after the addition of the OS since you raised the AFE 0W-20 viscosity to that of a 30wt oil?
Regardless, even the lightest 0W-20 is still too heavy on start-up so any observations like "start-up chatter" is not because the oil is too light.
OS is not an anti-corrosion additive, just an oil thickener so you really gained nothing from adding the polymer thickener and just diluted your add' pac'.

Yeah, I know....I just figured if I coated the engine with thick 'goop', it wouldn't rust...

The OS adding thing was stupid the way it worked out. I parked the car, and thought it would be out of service for 3-6 months. I debated about doing it, while the car was parked for a month, then decided I would do it.

Changed our mind about parking he car two days after this, had the car towed and fixed...so the OS was only 'used' while the car was running. Then I changed the oil 2 months after fixing it and running it for a bit.

80% of this run was just the M1, with some QSUD top-off...so the chatter was observed during cold starts with the much thinner oil in it - did NOT do this last winter w/QSGB 5W-20 in it.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I would not use any additives to M1 0-20.

Me neither. If using that oil its because of how thin it is. If I wanted thicker oil I would buy it.
And it looks like motomaster gets their stabilizer from Lucas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back