Lucas Extreme Gun Oil is legit! Almost as legit as

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ws6
According to Bruce Gray, the SIG shooting team is noticing...

I am not shooting at all...I am just in "beer consuming team" BUT if you buy me enough
11.gif
I will notice less wear too
grin.gif

According to Bruce Gray, the SIG shooting team is noticing less frame wear using Lucas Extreme products than with previous products or other products used, over higher round counts.

I'm curious. Just exactly how is this guy, "noticing less wear"? By looking at it? What type of measuring equipment is he employing, along with comparative data from other lubes, in order to come to his conclusion of, "noticing less wear"? And exactly what were the, "previous products" he used that he's comparing to?

This is all just more opinion that people run with based on a lot of Internet B.S. Along with a financial deal Lucas made with Sig to use and endorse their products. Nothing like a paid sponsorship to shape a favorable opinion. STP proved the value of this type of endorsement and advertising practice for decades.

Lucas, along with their gimmick products, and the way they advertise them, in no way comes across as a serious lubrication corporation. Just another bunch of quick buck artists, who produce a line of gimmick goods, through a slick advertising campaign. Many of which consist of big busted, micro skirted models dumping their products into fuel tanks.

Originally Posted By: billt460
According to Bruce Gray, the SIG shooting team is noticing less frame wear using Lucas Extreme products than with previous products or other products used, over higher round counts.

I'm curious. Just exactly how is this guy, "noticing less wear"? By looking at it? What type of measuring equipment is he employing, along with comparative data from other lubes, in order to come to his conclusion of, "noticing less wear"? And exactly what were the, "previous products" he used that he's comparing to?

This is all just more opinion that people run with based on a lot of Internet B.S. Along with a financial deal Lucas made with Sig to use and endorse their products. Nothing like a paid sponsorship to shape a favorable opinion. STP proved the value of this type of endorsement and advertising practice for decades.

Lucas, along with their gimmick products, and the way they advertise them, in no way comes across as a serious lubrication corporation. Just another bunch of quick buck artists, who produce a line of gimmick goods, through a slick advertising campaign. Many of which consist of big busted, micro skirted models dumping their products into fuel tanks.

You must not be familiar with Bruce Gray, GGI, or the SIG academy and SIG shooting team, etc. Also, I seem to recall you basing a products performance on how easy or difficult it was for you to lift a bolt handle, so when a man who has put hundreds of thousands (millions?) of rounds downrange personally, and works with people who do the same offers an observation based on said rounds downrange and their effect on the firearms he builds and maintains, surely you can conceive it might have merit. At least as much as one guy without a world famous shop which caters to said firearms, lifting a sticky bolt handle on an old rifle.

Last edited:
You must not be familiar with Bruce Gray or the SIG academy and SIG shooting team, etc.

He's a guy who gets paid to shoot guns for a living. And his lubricant of choice just happens to be a product the company paying him is being paid to use. And this somehow makes him an authority on lubrication and wear?

You must not be familiar with Bruce Gray or the SIG academy and SIG shooting team, etc.

He's a guy who gets paid to shoot guns for a living. And his lubricant of choice just happens to be a product the company paying him is being paid to use. And this somehow makes him an authority on lubrication and wear?

It may be that he is doing so, but that doesn't mean that the man is lying about the performance of it. It's possible to be in a mutually beneficial partnership...The guy is super technical oriented, and a straight shooter with regards to claims he makes. He personally has no financial affiliation with Lucas, but as you note, SIG does.

......He personally has no financial affiliation with Lucas, but as you note, SIG does.

Regardless of how you want to look at it, he is a paid spokesperson, pure and simple. I would put no more faith in what he say's about gun lubricants, than I would value Robert Wagner's advice on Reverse Mortgages. Once an individual, or their employer is paid to say, use, or promote something, the value of what they say becomes worthless.

......He personally has no financial affiliation with Lucas, but as you note, SIG does.

Regardless of how you want to look at it, he is a paid spokesperson, pure and simple. I would put no more faith in what he say's about gun lubricants, than I would value Robert Wagner's advice on Reverse Mortgages. Once an individual, or their employer is paid to say, use, or promote something, the value of what they say becomes worthless.

Interesting how he has previously advised RIG+P and other things when SIG was pushing Militec etc...

Interesting how he has previously advised RIG+P and other things when SIG was pushing Militec etc...

He's no different than Vickers, Howe, and the rest of these guys. They sell themselves to the highest bidder. And in the process parrot whatever the company signing their checks tells them to. This is America, and they can earn a living however they see fit. But you would have to be a fool to take any product they're pushing to be superior, just because they're somehow financially attached to it.

He's no different than Vickers, Howe, and the rest of these guys. They sell themselves to the highest bidder. And in the process parrot whatever the company signing their checks tells them to. This is America, and they can earn a living however they see fit. But you would have to be a fool to take any product they're pushing to be superior, just because they're somehow financially attached to it.

There are independent lab tests that back it up.

You must not be familiar with Bruce Gray

The guy who was instrumental in the design of the Sig P320, and fought to the death on the internet telling everyone that the trigger was not flawed, that it was completely drop safe, and anyone who thought otherwise was an idiot. And then had to eat buckets upon buckets of crow when Sig finally came up with their "voluntary upgrade"? That Bruce Gray?

I have Lucas Extreme gun lube in my garage. Ive used it. Its a good lube. Their marketing is ridiculous. And it ticks me off that they repackage standard auto lubes (transmission fluid and marine grease) at 20 times the cost and market them as "gun" lubes. That's just lazy. And unethical the way I see it.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
And it ticks me off that they repackage standard auto lubes (transmission fluid and marine grease) at 20 times the cost and market them as "gun" lubes. That's just lazy. And unethical the way I see it.

I know Lucas sells some snake oils. But do you have proof of this. Because your stating it as fact.

I would definitly agree that someone like Gray makes a living endorsing products. That does not automatically equate that his opinion/information is false or a lie.

But the fact Sig has moved to endorse it is what I think has some clout. Sure, Sig has a financial incentive with the agreement more than likely. But Sig, one of the worlds most renowned firearms manufacture, has no need to peddle snake oil to stay in the black this quarter.

Originally Posted By: SKVenture
I know Lucas sells some snake oils. But do you have proof of this. Because your stating it as fact.

People have compared MSDS sheets, colors, smells, consistencies, and it appears what I said was true. I doubt anyone has done an expensive scientific analysis.

The gun lube appears to be transmission fluid.

The gun grease appears to be Lucas marine grease #2.

You must not be familiar with Bruce Gray

The guy who was instrumental in the design of the Sig P320, and fought to the death on the internet telling everyone that the trigger was not flawed, that it was completely drop safe, and anyone who thought otherwise was an idiot. And then had to eat buckets upon buckets of crow when Sig finally came up with their "voluntary upgrade"? That Bruce Gray?

I have Lucas Extreme gun lube in my garage. Ive used it. Its a good lube. Their marketing is ridiculous. And it ticks me off that they repackage standard auto lubes (transmission fluid and marine grease) at 20 times the cost and market them as "gun" lubes. That's just lazy. And unethical the way I see it.

His p320 advocacy, I cannot support.
His Lucas Extreme advocacy is shared by Frank Proctor, fwiw, and backed by lab testing. The addpack on the Lucas extreme is also pretty robust and it seems to physically stick around. It's not my favorite, but it's demonstrably a good product.

People have compared MSDS sheets, colors, smells, consistencies, and it appears what I said was true. I doubt anyone has done an expensive scientific analysis.

The gun lube appears to be transmission fluid.

The gun grease appears to be Lucas marine grease #2.

Since when is ATF heavily fortified with zddp?

His Lucas Extreme advocacy is shared by Frank Proctor, fwiw, and backed by lab testing. The addpack on the Lucas extreme is also pretty robust and it seems to physically stick around. It's not my favorite, but it's demonstrably a good product.

You went down this same exact road when you were arguing with me tooth and nail that Fireclean wasn't the same as Crisco Canola Oil. Remember that? Now, all of a sudden you've done a 180, and don't like biodegradable organic products for guns because they spoil and gum up. For some reason you take it upon yourself to latch on to these snake oil products, that are marketed by nothing more than paid spokespeople. And then defend them as though you have stock in the company. Until you finally realize that people aren't making up what they've been telling you about them all along.

The proof that Fireclean was nothing more than Crisco was also, "backed by lab testing".

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/09/13/yes-its-true-fireclean-is-veg-oil/

I would definitly agree that someone like Gray makes a living endorsing products. That does not automatically equate that his opinion/information is false or a lie.

It certainly goes a long way from making it fact. First off it's not, "his opinion / information". He is being paid and told what to say. And in the process help sell the product by using it, and attaching his name to it. Once an individual is paid to endorse a given product, it automatically places enough conflict of interest into the whole equation, that it introduces more than enough skepticism about anything good he might have to say about it. Because at that point he is nothing more than a paid puppet.

And as was already pointed out, these guys sell themselves to the highest bidder by jumping from product to product, based only on what they're getting paid. Not how well the product actually works. With all of the modern automotive oil additives currently out there, do you honestly believe STP is the best one, based only on the fact Richard Petty has been paid to endorse it since the 60's?

Judging by the way some of you are clamoring over this guy, it proves this method of hawking a product certainly has merit. Even though down the road you'll most likely find the same guy telling you how wonderful some other miracle "gun oil" is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back