Virgin Fram PH3980 Cut Open

Hey all, I got a dented Fram filter thanks to an Amazon employee putting the filter and a receiver hitch & ball in the same box...a much too big box with zero packing... lol
Anyway, they refunded the price and said to throw it away, so I'm finally getting around to cutting it open just for the heck of it...

20230627_184417.jpg
20230627_184422.jpg
20230627_184432.jpg
20230627_184739.jpg
20230627_184746.jpg
20230627_184751.jpg
20230627_184804.jpg
20230627_184806.jpg
20230627_184809.jpg
20230627_184812.jpg

Pleat spacing near the glued seam is terrible. Made in USA which is nice. I'm still trying to learn about all the new fram changes & looking at the media it appears that it might be the 10k newest version? I say that based on the color of the media. If so would that make it a basic Cellulose/Synthetic blend media?

Pleat spacing near the glued seam is terrible. Made in USA which is nice. I'm still trying to learn about all the new fram changes & looking at the media it appears that it might be the 10k newest version? I say that based on the color of the media. If so would that make it a basic Cellulose/Synthetic blend media?
Date code is the 98th day of 2021. It has the newer upto 10K rated media (if they even changed it) because it also has a silicon ADBV. Fram went silicone when it was changed and the upto use mileage went from 5K to 10K. Maybe time for a visit to the WayBack Machine again, lol.

Last edited:
Date code is the 98th day of 2021. It has the newer upto 10K rated media (if they even changed it) because it also has a silicon ADBV. Fram went silicone when it was changed and the upto use mileage went from 5K to 10K. Maybe time for a visit to the WayBack Machine again, lol.
Wow I completely forgot about doing that the other day. We were just talking about this and I posted an older web link of the 10k ph filter. Since it's a 95% filter and SP or CK oil now I could see the basic filter going for that long. Yeah, nevermind 😂 those filters weren't really holding up well for those miles so hopefully they've upgraded the media too. It may have inherited the 10k TG media. 🤔. Thanks for the reminder.

I agree on the pleat spacing, but at the same time many other filters on here with that issue that cost more than twice what the Extra Guard does. Pretty sad really.

I agree on the pleat spacing, but at the same time many other filters on here with that issue that cost more than twice what the Extra Guard does. Pretty sad really.
I understand what you mean but IMO that would mean the PH filter is expensive for poor QC. (Not worth the retail cost they charge) I wouldn't give $2 for this filter. Maybe $1 on a good day. 🤣

I understand what you mean but IMO that would mean the PH filter is expensive for poor QC. (Not worth the retail cost they charge) I wouldn't give $2 for this filter. Maybe $1 on a good day. 🤣
I'd rather pay $4 for a decent filter with poor pleat spacing than $15 for one with the same issue or partially closed louvers. It sucks that the QC is so bad across all the brands, but even the Extra Guards I've cut open with bad pleat spacing the media still was pretty firmly secured in place and difficult to rip.

I'd rather pay $4 for a decent filter with poor pleat spacing than $15 for one with the same issue or partially closed louvers. It sucks that the QC is so bad across all the brands, but even the Extra Guards I've cut open with bad pleat spacing the media still was pretty firmly secured in place and difficult to rip.
of course. I completely agree with you. I'm just getting a bit burned out on seeing this lousy spacing. The mfg is getting away with it b/c most folks never open up their filter like we do here. So, they don't suffer as many feedback complaints. I'm fortunate in that my 6.0L takes a cartridge style filter so I can see the condition of it first. That being said the eba seller did send 1 bad filter out of a batch of 8, I bought, for $5.625 Each of Purolator One's but the other 7 were perfect. I plan on posting that bad one in the filter section in the future. I didn't know it was bad until I received the box. So, I've got some skin in the game too on this QC issue. And yes, Fram is not unique on this issue that's for sure.

of course. I completely agree with you. I'm just getting a bit burned out on seeing this lousy spacing. The mfg is getting away with it b/c most folks never open up their filter like we do here. So, they don't suffer as many feedback complaints. I'm fortunate in that my 6.0L takes a cartridge style filter so I can see the condition of it first. That being said the eba seller did send 1 bad filter out of a batch of 8, I bought, for $5.625 Each of Purolator One's but the other 7 were perfect. I plan on posting that bad one in the filter section in the future. I didn't know it was bad until I received the box. So, I've got some skin in the game too on this QC issue. And yes, Fram is not unique on this issue that's for sure.
Yes definitely a huge plus for cartridge filters. The Mann filters in my BMW always look great coming out, and it is less material waste as well.

Back