Lubegard does work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Every LubeGard Product I have used seems to work. I know their products are no snake-oil.

^I completely agree with this. The use a lot of group V additives in their various product formulations, even added to a top-tier synthetic fluid it can boost performance in 'troublesome' apps.

Boutiques like Amsoil or Red Line probably do not need Red Line, though I'd still consider adding it to dealership fluids where applicable. I did that for my 1999 Dodge Stratus with a 41TE auto 4 spd w/ O.D. and it helped the torque converter/OD engagement issues AND the Reverse delay/hard shift when cold.

Shifts were much smoother after that, butter smooth. I sold it to someone else in my family. Still gets good gas mileage for it's engine. About 22 combined and 27-28 highway at 65 MPH. Mid-sized Sedan with a 2.4L engine from that era, what can you do?

Anyway, the previous history was NO transmission servicing until I got the car from family member(sister), who had purchased(titled over) from my dad, who had purchased it from a dealership nearby. It was a dealer show car that was driven around. The family bought it at about 26,000 miles. I got it at 90,000 in 2007 and it still had old ATF+3 fluid. I did a pan drop/filter replacement and fluid top-off with store brand ATF+4 sold by O'Reilly(not my choice today mind you). It helped, but needed another filter/fluid change. I used a Wix filter kit, added 4 quarts of Valvoline ATF+4 and 2 bottles of Lubegard Red, FTW!

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Boutiques like Amsoil or Red Line probably do not need Red Line

Heh, heh.

Though my Pathfinder's trans doesn't seem to have any issues, maybe I'll throw in a bottle of Lubegard Red to see if I notice any difference. For $14 at NAPA, why not?

My transmission's capacity is 9 quarts, + maybe a quart due to additional cooler and Magnefine. Current fill is fresh Castrol IMV as of about 3 months & 3,000 miles ago via cooler line exchange. Should I just dump the whole 10oz bottle in?

Why not? I figure just check the level to see if it's not overfull already, if it's somewhat low through the whole thing in. Report back! If you are really finicky you could extra 5 ounces.
grin2.gif

Gosh, I was redundant and didn't realize it. Sorry.

EDIT my previous post: "...do not need Lubegard, and really worth a shot if mild symptoms still exist even on the best ATF's out there."

Yes you can run up to 2oz per qt without issue. This is the recommended dose for heavy duty units.
I used this dosage in towing apps but now just 2 10oz bottles in anything larger than very small units (10 qts or less), in these i use 1 full 10oz bottle.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Is it good as a preventative measure or just if there's problems...?

Absolutely 100% as a preventive maintenance product.

I use 1 oz per quart as maintenance, and 2 oz per quart on tranny's that have shown a few issues. Seems to work very well in both, no negatives on the maintenance and notable improvements on those with a few shifting issues.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
One seller on Amazon, Midway Auto ?, has 32 oz bottle for $19 + shipping.

I just ordered a 32 oz bottle at Amazon... It was like $6.95 shipping.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan

I bought the quart bottle from that seller last year. I think the cost per ounce is the lowest from that seller, shipping included.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan

I bought the quart bottle from that seller last year. I think the cost per ounce is the lowest from that seller, shipping included.

I agree...

aww man anyone know where I can pick this up in Canada ?

I bought 2 bottles on Ebay a month ago - $30 Canadian to my door from the US.

And yes - its great stuff - better trans grab and smoother at the same time>:)

Just looking on ebay I can get the red for 8 + 4 shipping. Then there's the Lubeguard Platinum. Is that a ynthetic version?

^It's not as universal as far as the fluids it can go with, IIRC(EDIT: it's for Highly Friction Modified ATF fluid use/transmissions using such).

Red is tried and true for all others, but not to mix with those that it says not to use with(certain ATF fluids for CVT, etc).

I think someone posted up an inquiry to Lubegard before about which to use and some information in response from Lubegard was posted up. We had some threads last summer about LG Red as well.

I'm also considering trying their fuel cleaning products:

http://lubegard.com/C-134/Fuel

Originally Posted By: Trav
Here is the chart. Look up the year make and model the color of the dot is the color of the lubeguard product for your transmission.

http://www.lubegard.com/pdfs/2010_LUBEGARD_CC_FINAL.pdf

I just looked now I'm even more confused. Both dots for Red and Platinum for every transmission made but like 3. And those 3 transmissions cant use either. Why have 2 products if both work in the same apps?
confused2.gif

Just talked to a Tranny rebuilder. He says stay with the red, has PAO in it...nice! But he also could not answer what the Platinum was for. tempted to try lubeguard in the engine as a cleaner!

The first dot is what you should use if using fluid that is spec for you vehicle, Platinum is the alternative more or less a one size fits all product.
From what i understand (not sure if its 100% correct info or not) its not as strong as the specific formulations e.g. red, green, black.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back