Lube spark plug threads, and if so, modify torque spec?

Presence or absence of lubrication can change recommended torque spec by a factor of 2 or more.

My pentastar spark plugs are specd at 18 lb-ft. But it doesn't say anything about lubing the threads. So I have to assume it's specd dry. For an aluminum head, I would normally use anti-sieze, but if I do that, does it mean the 18 foot pound spec is invalid then? I don't want to over torque or strip the head either.

This has been discussed many times on here. I believe the consensus is if you choose to use anti-sieze, then torque the spark plugs to 80% of the stated torque value. So in your case, you would torque to 14.4 ft-lbs.

This is the general rule that I've applied through the years. And it's worked very well. I have never had a lubricated bolt or a nut come loose. That is a fallacy that just wont seem to die in regards to applying lube or anti seize to threads.... Including lug nuts.

I read an article from a plug manufacturer (don't recall name) that stated "do not lubricate the threads when installing the plugs. The plugs are threads are treated with a non-stick coating during manufacture". Are all plugs coated? I really don't know. I think the general rule of thumb is that, unless otherwise stated, torque spec. is stated for clean dry threads. Reduce torque by 10% if lubricated.

This has been discussed many times on here. I believe the consensus is if you choose to use anti-sieze, then torque the spark plugs to 80% of the stated torque value. So in your case, you would torque to 14.4 ft-lbs.
Yet many fastener torque specs are based on threads lightly lubed by oil. But others assume dry. Very confusing. I assume the fastener is dry and reduce by 20% to be safe. In my opinion, lubing threads is ok- AZ under the fastener head is where one needs to be careful. It's even more confusing when Permatex says to use normal torque spec with their AZ.

I was actually more worried about heat transfer. NGK says that using lube on the threads is like going up by two heat ranges. But it just seems wrong to me to put them into an aluminum head dry.

I fixed cars for a living for 10 years (about 20 years ago). Replaced thousands of spark plugs, almost all NGK or Bosch plugs in aluminum heads (Japanese and Euro). We always used silver never-seize on the threads and never had a stripped thread, plug failure or stuck plug afterwards. This is probably terrible, but I don't think I ever used anything but the "right arm" torque wrench.
Based on this experience, I think there is a LOT of margin of error installing spark plugs.
Getting the old ones out (mostly oem unlubricated) is a different story of pain and heartache.
Long story short, I will never install a spark plug without never seize.

I was actually more worried about heat transfer. NGK says that using lube on the threads is like going up by two heat ranges. But it just seems wrong to me to put them into an aluminum head dry.
Now that is interesting. Two heat ranges are a lot. Care to share your info or source?

Every spark plug I've installed lately has a torque angle listed on the box. If you use that then the torque value is not needed.

And yes there have been numerous and lengthy threads on this subject already. Here are a few but there are more:

I read an article from a plug manufacturer (don't recall name) that stated "do not lubricate the threads when installing the plugs. The plugs are threads are treated with a non-stick coating during manufacture". Are all plugs coated? I really don't know. I think the general rule of thumb is that, unless otherwise stated, torque spec. is stated for clean dry threads. Reduce torque by 10% if lubricated.
I believe that manufacturer is Autolite

If the plugs are nickel plated (gray color), Autolite recommends only using anti-sieze where OE recommended. They also state that anti-sieze alters the torque by as much as 20%.

I've got to where I'll put a light coat of antiseize on a rag and turn the plug through it while holding the rag tight around the plug. This leaves a very thin layer that you can't see, but can barely and I mean BARELY feel on the plug threads. This satisfies my inner conflict about this topic for which I frankly have no desire to put forth the effort needed to reach a scientifically correct answer!

I use copper anti-seize and very lightly put a coating on. Done about 200 plugs, never had a problem with repeat changes, and I've never had one come "loose" either.

If it was a Ferrari I'd use a torque wrench.. But otherwise I've used the arm method for 18 years, and again I've never had one come in loose or one get stuck in any way.

I see people use torque specs on stuff that has no reason, and I ask them to articulate why.. Normally I like them, and most of the time its due to strict spec following, or monetary value they paid for their car. Each to their own!!

I used regular cheap permatex anti seize. The plugs said to torque 1/4 turn after bottoming. I did that on one bank. For the second bank, I tried torquing to spec of 18 lbft for giggles. Torquing resulted in turning slightly LESS than 1/4 turn.

I used regular cheap permatex anti seize. The plugs said to torque 1/4 turn after bottoming. I did that on one bank. For the second bank, I tried torquing to spec of 18 lbft for giggles. Torquing resulted in turning slightly LESS than 1/4 turn.
Interesting. Maybe Permatex is correct after all in recommending normal torque when using that AZ?

I use just the slightest bit of 1600 degree anti seize. Never a problem and make removal a piece of cake.

Steel sparkplugs and an aluminum head are a recipie for removal issues. I put a tiny dab of copper anti-seize on the threads, and then use a clean paper towel, wrapped tightly around the threads, to spread the compound evenly, and remove any excess.

Back