Affordable accurate torque wrench for spark plugs

If it does exists, it will be used to torque spark plugs, ranges from 13-18 ft lbs.

I prefer 3/8 if possible.

Is there a significant difference from digital vs standard?

Appreciate any recommendation or suggestions.

Most 3/8" drive torque wrenches bottom out at 20 ft/lbs (240 in lbs). You'd be better of with a 1/4" TW.

Kobalt has a solid 1/4" that ranges from 50 - 250 in lbs that would be my first pick if I had to buy another.

If it does exists, it will be used to torque spark plugs, ranges from 13-18 ft lbs.

I prefer 3/8 if possible.

Is there a significant difference from digital vs standard?

Appreciate any recommendation or suggestions.
Some bicycle torque wrenches can hit that.

For that low, I'd also recommend a 1/4" from lowes/homedepot/harborfreight, and if it doesn't have ft lbs, just use a ftlbs to inlbs online calculator. https://online-calculator.org/13-foot-pounds-to-inch-pounds

These work really nice. They're inexpensive, and you can put them in between the ratchet and your extension. The torque range is from 5.9 to 59 ft. lbs.

I've seen those, but was skeptical about their accuracy.

My ACdelco 3/8 and 1/2" digital torque adapter are very accurate. I'd wager that the HF one is plenty good and accurate and makes you wonder if all the 'brands' run down the same Asian assembly line and just have different plastic cases.

Is $101 affordable? Norbar has several excellent torque wrenches that meet your requirements, such as this 3/8" drive 8-35 ft-lb model:

Last edited:
3/8 beam style torque wrench that goes from 0-80 ft-lbs are cheap, easy to use and reliable. I'm not sure I would trust a cheap digital torque adapter.

Is $101 affordable? Norbar has several excellent torque wrenches that meet your requirements, such as this 3/8" drive 8-35 ft-lb model:

The Norbar every time.

My ACdelco 3/8 and 1/2" digital torque adapter are very accurate. I'd wager that the HF one is plenty good and accurate and makes you wonder if all the 'brands' run down the same Asian assembly line and just have different plastic cases.
I would agree on the HF's 1/2 torque wrench, but not on the 1/4 and 3/8. Bad experience with them.

I have Harbor Freights 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" click torque wrenches. I feel like I loaded up on coupons and got them for $10 each several years ago. I've definitely used the 3/8" for spark plugs.

Just back them down after each use and they should stay accurate for many years.

Does the spark plug instructions give a torque angle? I find this much easier considering many engines make it impossible to use a wrench on some of the plugs.
I have never found an engine where it was impossible to use a torque wrench on the spark plugs.

I have never found an engine where it was impossible to use a torque wrench on the spark plugs.
I have no idea how you would operate a torque wrench on the back bank of spark plugs on my old 1MZ-FE. But maybe a real mechanic could do so although I wouldn’t know why. Torque angle is better anyway as it is independent of whether you’ve used anti-seize or not.

Back