LSPI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Brigadier
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
LSPI seems to predominantly affected forced-induction DI engines, which you don't have, so I wouldn't be concerned.

confused2.gif

Naturally aspirated direct injection engines don't appear to suffer from LSPI, it seems to require boost.

Did you read the list of his cars? 2/3 are TDI.....good grief.

I was speaking as to the 911 (the only one under warranty) and his concern about A40, pointing out that it should be unaffected by LSPI, since it seems to only apply to boosted engines. Obviously the other two, on which there is flexibility on oil choice, are a different topic.

I was speaking as to the 911 (the only one under warranty) and his concern about A40, pointing out that it should be unaffected by LSPI, since it seems to only apply to boosted engines. Obviously the other two, on which there is flexibility on oil choice, are a different topic.

Right. Your original reply was not 911specific......you were replying in general terms, covering all of his cars, and that makes it incorrect.

Right. Your original reply was not 911specific......you were replying in general terms, covering all of his cars, and that makes it incorrect.

I probably should have worded it differently in retrospect, yes. He seemed particularly concerned about the 911 being under warranty and the requirement for A40, so I was noting that LSPI wouldn't be a concern with it, since it wasn't forced induction. I wasn't addressing the other two vehicles.

Originally Posted by dgjks6
Ok. This is all new to me. So how do you tell if an oil is a base I,II,III,IV, or V? Is there a list?

If you're concerned about LSPI, just make sure the oil is "SN Plus" rated, or at least dexos1 Gen2 rated.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Ok. This is all new to me. So how do you tell if an oil is a base I,II,III,IV, or V? Is there a list?

If you're concerned about LSPI, just make sure the oil is "SN Plus" rated, or at least dexos1 Gen2 rated.

That then opens the can of worms I have always beeen afraid to ask, but is there really a difference between US and Euro oils? Or is it just the societies who rate them use different terminology? Seriously, what is so special about a European engine vs an American engine? I have read it has to do with the fuel, but I don't put European fuel in my cars.

Which D1G2 oil has the HTHS required for his applications?

Why should he be worried about LSPI? None of his engines have a history of it.
That then opens the can of worms I have always beeen afraid to ask, but is there really a difference between US and Euro oils? Or is it just the societies who rate them use different terminology? Seriously, what is so special about a European engine vs an American engine? I have read it has to do with the fuel, but I don't put European fuel in my cars.

The difference is the engineering mindset and their intended uses. All three of your engines were built with certain specifications and usage patterns in mind, and a high HTHS (>3.5) is a part of that.

Uh-oh! Everyone tighten your seatbelts!!!
laugh.gif
shocked.gif
shocked2.gif
wink.gif

Seriously though, there's a lot of circumstantial evidence in various forms. It's also pretty clear that most oils are carefully mixed blends of the various types of base oils, with the ratios, and exact additive packages being closely guarded trade secrets. Some makers, a seeming minority, will boast that a particular oil is, "based" upon one group of oil, but even that language will leave room for inclusion of others. Example: Ravenol openly claims several of their oils are PAO (IV) based, which by its very terms leaves room for others ("based" as opposed to "made exclusively from"). Moreover, from years of learning here, and following many of the leads I've found, it's also pretty clear that the notion of an oil based on only one type of base is pretty artificial. It seems that the idea is to mix bases in such a way as to maximize the benefits of each, while "covering for" the corresponding weaknesses, etc.

Link below (Mobil) meets many of the Euro specs and says:
"Of the product lineup, Mobil 1â„¢ FS 0W-40 oil is recommended for many types of modern vehicles and the latest engine technologies including turbochargers, direct-injection ..."

I would think it's formulated to combat LSPI if it's recommended for turboed DI applications, even though it doesn't specifically show the "SN Plus" rating. Maybe Euro oils don't have to show it.
21.gif

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-fs

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

Which D1G2 oil has the HTHS required for his applications?

Why should he be worried about LSPI? None of his engines have a history of it.

The difference is the engineering mindset and their intended uses. All three of your engines were built with certain specifications and usage patterns in mind, and a high HTHS (>3.5) is a part of that.

I suck at the phone/quote thing so sorry. So what started it all is I was enjoying the day looking at posts in a Porsche forum. And a guy has bore scoring in the same engine I have in my 911. This isn't supposed to happen and one of the experts said that LSPI may be a problem in my NA DFI engine. Having never heard of LSPI I googled it. And holy crap. Then afraid to start an oil thread in the other forum I came here, where an oil thread is not thrashed but actually appreciated. And I thought I was fluent in oil knowing that LL01 is different from A40. But wow, do I have a lot to learn.

On the Porsche forum they are generally convinced that Mobil 1 will cause your engine to blow and using a non approved high ZDDP oil will save your engine. I never thought much about it. I just used an approved oil and change when recommenced and I went about my business figuring it was mostly hype and oil was well, oil.

Then I read that the oil can actually prevent something - LSPI.

Sorry, bored at work. I do appreciate everyone's input without the belittling as I try to figure out if changing from Mobil 1 or Castrol from wal mart really will make a difference.

And I'm not really concerned about LSPI in the BMw. It has 200,000 miles with 15,000 OCI's the first 100k. I hasn't missed a beat. It is the engines in the other two I'm worried about. They can get a little pricey to fix.

And I'm not really concerned about LSPI in the BMw. It has 200,000 miles with 15,000 OCI's the first 100k. I hasn't missed a beat. It is the engines in the other two I'm worried about. They can get a little pricey to fix.

As I noted, since the 911 isn't forced induction, you shouldn't need to worry about it. If you aren't worried about the bimmer then it's really only the other Porsche that is your worry and unless it lugs the engine, it's probably not going to suffer from it either.

If the specs calls out A40 then just go with the brand you deem best and not worry anymore about LSPI. If Porsche was concerned about LSPI they would have changed or updated the oil spec.

If the specs calls out A40 then just go with the brand you deem best and not worry anymore about LSPI. If Porsche was concerned about LSPI they would have changed or updated the oil spec.

That's also an excellent point
thumbsup2.gif

As I noted, since the 911 isn't forced induction, you shouldn't need to worry about it. If you aren't worried about the bimmer then it's really only the other Porsche that is your worry and unless it lugs the engine, it's probably not going to suffer from it either.

I hear ya. And I know. I keep telling myself that over and over. But the guy who raised the LSPI issue in the NA engine has some real street cred.

But the guy who raised the LSPI issue in the NA engine has some real street cred.

But obviously no LSPI cred.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back