LSjr Tests VOA of 20 yr old Valvoline & 40 yr old Mobil 1 Oil. HPL tests Anti-Foam in Gear Oil.

I am wondering if that is why I intermittently have fluctuating oil pressure on my 1997 Dodge Ram 5.9 magnum; maybe my oil from my 10+ year old stash (10w-30 Pennzoil Platinum) lost its’ anti-foaming ability and it is getting foamy and the oil pump is sucking in foamy oil?

I might try fresh oil next change to see if there is a difference.

All kind of good comments/responses by LSJ over on the video comments....I wonder if he is here somewhere?

Lol, if I were him I might be here, but I'd certainly never post under my name. There's too much mudslinging online. Even if you were the foremost expert on a subject and invented it you'd still get some person online telling you that you don't know what you're talking about. (This is just an example, I'm not advocating either way that LSJr is or isn't something). The internet is such a dumpster fire these days it isn't worth the stress or time for someone like that to expose themselves to it (or rather more than what you'd already signed up for).

Lol, if I were him I might be here, but I'd certainly never post under my name. There's too much mudslinging online. Even if you were the foremost expert on a subject and invented it you'd still get some person online telling you that you don't know what you're talking about. (This is just an example, I'm not advocating either way that LSJr is or isn't something). The internet is such a dumpster fire these days it isn't worth the stress or time for someone like that to expose themselves to it (or rather more than what you'd already signed up for).
Oh yeah never under his name but as a lurker/troll...yes!

I figured the sharper than me guys (most folks here) would be all over this.

OK just for a second read and follow..........

Assume the old oil from 1990 never aged. Preserved perfectly in time. Run an oxidation test. Number is 20 (just made that up for example)

Now run a test on the oil, with same name in 2024. Run an oxidation test. Number is 10. (just made that up for example)

We can really conclude nothing solid, other than yes the numbers ARE different. Why would this be?

The oxidation number has just as much to do with the initial oil constituents than it does with aging. A high ester oil will have a high oxidation number. Oxidation tests are basically only useful to compare the EXACT same virgin oil, NEW then USED, to see delta oxidation.

This is not the first time this showboat has been wrong. We are wise here not to follow him, IMHO. BITOG should gently point out Lake Speed's inaccuracies.

Not saying I'm sharper than you, but I haven't watched the video and feel no need to

I am wondering if that is why I intermittently have fluctuating oil pressure on my 1997 Dodge Ram 5.9 magnum; maybe my oil from my 10+ year old stash (10w-30 Pennzoil Platinum) lost its’ anti-foaming ability and it is getting foamy and the oil pump is sucking in foamy oil?

I might try fresh oil next change to see if there is a difference.
If it's an electrical pressure transducer and gauge system (likely as I think mechanical oil pressure gauges went away a long time ago in mass production cars) it might be your gauge rather than actual pressure fluctuations.

The 97 Ram is a true gauge, I have replaced the sending unit with no change, never drops to a unsafe pressure but does fluctuate without any other reason I can think of except maybe the oil is getting airated. Oil is at the correct level, halfway between the full and add lines on the dipstick.

Different filters make no difference, not too worried, just curious. Probably going to the bone yard due to rust in a couple years.

I could be cavitation or maybe my oil pump going bad, it is 27 years old with 102,000 miles.

So here's my synopsis of the oxidation value. Notice the TAN is rather low despite some water accumulation than can cause acidic growth. Esters, being the product of reactions between alcohols and carboxylic acids, tend to increase the virgin TAN. We see this in Red Line's oils and some of Amsoil's oils as well, usually over 3.0. We can't know for certain what the virgin KV100 was when the oil was fresh. Looking at some data of that oil over the years since then, it's been consistently in the 10.2-10.5 cSt range with one outlier at 10.7 cSt, all at least 0.5 cSt lower than the KV100 in the 20 year old sample in the video. I am therefore going to assume (and hopefully not make a donkey out of you and me), based on the best data available from a couple hours of archaeocyberoligical digging, that the KV100 was in that same range a few years prior. (take it with a grain of salt) If that is the case, this VOA shows an increase in the KV100 by at least 0.5 cSt despite some water accumulation. This indicates to me that this oil has undergone oxidative thickening, and thus the high oxidation value is coming from that oxidation and not from ester. It's likely there was some ester in low concentration, enough to add polarity for additive solubility, (2-3%) but not enough to give this kind of oxidation value.

I'm trying to hit a 1 sqft target at 100 yards with a blunderbuss here but it's the best analysis of this I can give based on limited initial information.

Tagging to remind myself to read all the comments here.

Also, foooaaaaammmm.

image000000.jpeg

Water causes oxidation. Take the M1 in the can as an example. We know it has no ester because M1 wasn't using it at the time.

The degree of oxidation is irrelevant because the oxidation number is on the high side and there's water in the oil. End of story.
I know @Tom NJ has said multuple times mobil 1 in the 70s was using POE and in the 80s they used diesters before going back to POE in the 90s

I just searched it and it popped right up..weird.
It's also still under his video list.

Found an explanation in the video description:

"(NOTE: This is a repost. The first upload had an issue with one the songs, so this upload fixed that problem. Sorry for any confusion.)"

Back