low-profile tires w/ sidewall cracks

Status
Not open for further replies.
That tire was driven on flat. Period. No other explanation. If you pull the tire off the rim I can guarantee the tire is filled with what looks like black sawdust from the inside of the sidewall failing.

cooper rs3-a on my mazda5 developed bumps (zig-zag); the noise was like wheel bearing failure.
It also triggered the TPMS in winter. (20-27 psi findings)

My always verified cooper cs5 on my yaris developed cracks in the blocks at around 3 years old (3.5 from production date) and 8/32 depth.

A pressure gage stored in each car could also help.

My neighbor had a Hyundai Tiberon with similar low profile tires.. 2 of his 4 primewells did that.. at 2 years old.

of course he ran them chronically underinflated.

IIRC: big cracks like that usually means underinflated and overheated.

if they bubble or have other defects is usually from potholes and other road damage.. short sidewall possibly contributing to the damage.

What that means is if you hit the pothole with a 245/70r17 you have tons more sidewall to cushion the blow vs a 225/45r18

Yes, it's probably been run under-inflated. But it's also a Hankook. The Koreans do many things well, but my experience with their iPike snow tires/Nokian knock-offs lead me to conclude that tires are not one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back