Low comp engine, trying thicker oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Originally Posted By: Vladiator
GOT SOME GOOD NEWS FOR YOU!!!
The "Restore" additive actually does work, and it works quite well. Helped me and thousands of other people to extend the life of engines, instead of doing costly rebuilds.
P.S. And I personally would use 5w40, 10w40, or 15w40 from now on. Along with "Restore"

I agree 100%! Restore is a great product. Don't listen to all those who bash it and call it a "snake oil". People make blanket statements fail to separate it out from the junk products.
Restore + a slightly thicker oil is a perfect combo.

I definitely got the impression from here that Restore is a product that has its place, but people shouldn't be thinking that they should toss it in a healthy engine as a preventive measure or for some kind of magical power boost. You know the bogus line of thinking...if it helps a tired, old engine it must be even better for a new one!

I will also add my 2 cents having used Restore that it can indeed help. Not snake oil at all, it can be life support for an engine in it's twilight miles.

not familiar with the 318. Something let go in the rocker arms? Restore is life support for worn out engines and has to be used every oil change. Only time I've run across it was from it being in the engine of a Jeep my wife bought at a yardsale. It hid wiped out cam bearings very well.

100psi, isn't that on the low side for the other cylinders? Shouldn't they be at least 120?

IMO, if you're going to swap engines, what the heck. Try 15W40, try some Restore. Try some Lucas too.
smile.gif
If it's a dead engine walking (running) then there's nothing to lose.

Originally Posted By: kawie_guy
Got the bad news today.....my 300,000 mile truck has two cylinders that are way under minimum spec compression. This is like hearing a family member has cancer. I've had this truck for 16 years. So before I start looking for a new engine, I thought maybe I'd try some thicker oils in a hail Mary attempt. The manual calls for 10w30. So should I go 10w40, or go for the gusto and buy some xw50?
Which two cyls?

No pour-in product will repair a head gasket. At best they'll delay until the work can be done.

The 318 will run (almost) forever, give it a new head gasket
thumbsup2.gif

I owned several older 5.2s and a stretched timing chain will cause rough running (and loss of torque) at low rpm, which clears up a higher rpm; you may want to check that while you're doing the head gaskets.

With everything said, I would personally lean towards getting this engine overhauled and fix what ever needs to be done. You know this engine well so buying a junkyard motor would be the unknown since you won’t know it’s history. This is assuming that there are no major issues that will change the equation.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Often a sudden drop in compression between 2 cylinders is a head gasket is leaking compression between the cylinders.
Thats the obvious one, or maybe a valve issue. If it were me, I would pull the head, if the cylinders are clean, I'd do a valve job and a new HG. Then drive it another 100K. Those mopar 318's are really tough. I've had 3 now.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: kawie_guy
Got the bad news today.....my 300,000 mile truck has two cylinders that are way under minimum spec compression. This is like hearing a family member has cancer. I've had this truck for 16 years. So before I start looking for a new engine, I thought maybe I'd try some thicker oils in a hail Mary attempt. The manual calls for 10w30. So should I go 10w40, or go for the gusto and buy some xw50?
Which two cyls?

3 and 5. 7 was not too good either.

I don't think this is a case of anyone "bashing" an over the counter additive-it's just that even if it DOES work as described, the additive being discussed won't accomplish anything since the problem seems most likely to be on the top end.

Still, I'll say it again-please do a leakdown test-even though I'll agree with others that a sudden loss in two adjacent cylinders is almost certainly a head gasket.

Originally Posted By: Bxnanaz
Nothing you pour in your engine will repair any damage.

Incorrect. Scored cylinder walls in tired worn engines are repaired by Restore.

Originally Posted By: bunnspecial
I don't think this is a case of anyone "bashing" an over the counter additive-

Maybe not, but keep in mind there are multitudes of "they are all snake oils, never use any of 'em" type statements that have been made here through the years.

How are they repaired? By magically adding material back?

The evidence so far points to a top end issue(once again leak down will pin point it) and nothing added to the oil will fix that.

If I understand the way this product works correctly, it claims to "fill" wear in the cylinder walls. I can see it working as a band-aide for a short period of time, but ultimately to fix worn cylinders you need to bore them back out to round, crosshatch them for proper oil retention, and fit new(properly sized) rings to properly seal the cylinder.

I also would have concerns that anything that actually CAN seal worn rings might lead to more damage in the long term. I'd be interested if anyone on here has rebuilt an engine on which one of these products has been used.

Originally Posted By: bunnspecial

I also would have concerns that anything that actually CAN seal worn rings might lead to more damage in the long term.

Engines that are candidates for the use of Restore don't have "long term" to be concerned about. Its an "end of life extender" so to speak. Besides, I have never heard of it causing any more damage in any case. Not sure why anyone would have that concern.

Its good, viable product that when used correctly does work and it works well. At less than $10 a can its easy and cheap to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back