03 4.6l F150 sludge build up

I have a bit of a strange one on my hands. I recently acquired a 2003 F150 with a 4.6l in it at an auto auction. It wasn’t running when it purchased it. A new fuel pump solved the problem.

The kicker is that it’s a single owner truck and only has 30k mi on it.

By the condition of the truck and how little if any marks on the hood or original glass, i really, really, REALLY doubt the truck spent any meaningful time at anything over 45 mph.

Based on my bore scope, it has a lot more sludge than I would expect for an engine with this few miles.

When I got it running, it had startup clatter, but it also had a cheapo filter on it, without out a adv I could find. I changed the oil with some 5w30 warren store name oil 1 qt of MMO and a new MC 820s oil filter…all of which I had on hand already. That has solved the startup clatter overall. It has a strong 25 psi of oil pressure at hot idle. I’m sure the proper filter solved the cold start rattle and not the mmo obviously.

Periodically I’m still getting some clatter at cold start from the drivers side top front from what sounds like a sticky lash adjuster. It’s about 30 seconds and goes away. I won’t hear it again until the engine is cold and it’s not always doing it..maybe like 1 outta 5 tries. I’m only 150 miles into this little MMO experiment. I was thinking of dumping it at 300 miles and go with a high mileage oil or?

I’m getting closer to pulling the valve cover and replacing the roller follower and lash adjuster (like 60/40).but I will still have an engine with a ton of sludge it it.

I used to use Auto Rx but I know that’s not a good idea anymore.

Thoughts?

Do I just roll with some high mileage oil and change it every 3 k?

I have never used an "engine cleaner" that you add to the oil, so I can't vouch for how well they work. But if this is a sludge problem, your truck sounds like a perfect candidate for it.

I don't see how it could hurt, and it's the cheapest and easiest place to start. That, and very frequent oil and filter changes.

You could also give HPL Engine Cleaner a shot. Their oils clean even better. Just another option.

Hey thanks for the responses.

To prove I’m not blowing smoke, here is a link to the story on another forum.

Today is the first time I plan on trying to run it on a regular basis. This truck is going to be my DD so I can keep the miles off my F350.

My commute one way is about 12 mi. If I go the long way it’s 17, both ways are 55mph +.

I’m hoping that by simply running on a regular basis the lifter will free its self and that I’ll get some of the sludge out by doing short intervals. I don’t think running the mmo past 500 miles is a good idea.

The next time you change the oil, I would add some Liqui Moly Hydraulic Lifter Additive before pulling the valve covers apart. As far as oil is concerned though, I would stick with Redline or perhaps, if you can get it, the older formulation of Mobil 1 0W-40.
Thanks for the tip.

The LM I can get easily via Amazon. The other oils not so much.

This engine is an early Ford spec 5w20 motor. I remember this time well, as previously the spec for the same motor just a year or two earlier was 5w30.

You could also give HPL Engine Cleaner a shot. Their oils clean even better. Just another option.

I have seen some nice reviews on this before…I’ll have to look into it.

Did you run a Carfax on it to verify the mileage before dumping money into it?
Of course. It’s legit.

Everything about it screams that it was well taken care of and shedded its entire life. Just never left town much.

It even has some of the original sales tags on it still.

But to be clear, I bought it at an insurance auction. I knew there was / could be problems with the vehicle before I purchased it.

Last edited:
Of course. It’s legit.

Everything about it screams that it was well taken care of and shedded its entire life. Just never left town much.

It even has some of the original sales tags on it still.
OK, but the photos of the frame in the other forum look as rusty as my 500,000 mile 2003 Toyota Sequoia.

Hey thanks for the responses.

To prove I’m not blowing smoke, here is a link to the story on another forum.

Today is the first time I plan on trying to run it on a regular basis. This truck is going to be my DD so I can keep the miles off my F350.

My commute one way is about 12 mi. If I go the long way it’s 17, both ways are 55mph +.

I’m hoping that by simply running on a regular basis the lifter will free its self and that I’ll get some of the sludge out by doing short intervals. I don’t think running the mmo past 500 miles is a good idea.

This truck may have had many short trips in its life. Just driving it at operating temperature will probably help a lot. As for the MMO, the solvent flashes off pretty quickly, so 1000 miles probability isn’t any worse than 500. Cutting open the oil filter after 1000 miles will give you a good idea of what you are dealing with.

* I had a 6.8 V10 that had been poorly maintained and had a loud start up clatter. I fixed it with a single treatment of “Kreen”.

Some of the 2V mod motors had an issue with piston slap during cold starts. My understanding of the root cause is that the pistons were designed with to much flare to the skirt, so they rattle until the piston dome has time to get to temp and expand. My 98 5.4 had a mild case and that motor has over 200K on it now, cold start piston noise never got worse. Try some Mobil 1 Euro 0-40 oil in it once you get the flushing done.

I'd check the timing chain tensioners / guides / arms. The 2v mod motors love to idle and won't kill timing components if they're idling 24/7 .. like a police car or taxi.

What kills them is short tripping. Especially once they start to get older in age and the tensioners themselves start to bleed off. What happens is on a cold start, the tensioners have retracted and the chain slaps the tensioner arm. Eventually it will wear through and be riding on the piston. The noise you're hearing is probably chain slap. I had a weird top end sounding noise in the original engine on my 4.6 and turns out it was the tensioners and guides/arms worn completely down. My 5.4 had a bit of a rattle (not the piston slap) and it was bleeding off tensioners but nothing had worn through yet.

Some of the 2V mod motors had an issue with piston slap during cold starts. My understanding of the root cause is that the pistons were designed with to much flare to the skirt, so they rattle until the piston dome has time to get to temp and expand. My 98 5.4 had a mild case and that motor has over 200K on it now, cold start piston noise never got worse. Try some Mobil 1 Euro 0-40 oil in it once you get the flushing done.
My 5.4 with 240K on it is VERY noisey on a cold start, but the harder it gets run the quieter it gets. I don't think the rest of the truck has enough miles left in it so I'm not entirely worried about it breaking a skirt or something. But the bores are very ovaled out - I discovered that when I had to change a head gasket.

Some of the 2V mod motors had an issue with piston slap during cold starts. My understanding of the root cause is that the pistons were designed with too much flare to the skirt, so they rattle until the piston dome has time to get to temp and expand. My 98 5.4 had a mild case and that motor has over 200K on it now, cold start piston noise never got worse. Try some Mobil 1 Euro 0-40 oil in it once you get the flushing done.
I had a 02 Supercrew F150 that did this. It had a 5.4l in it. I also had a 00’ Fl50 with a 5.4 that did it as well.

This one is my first and only 4.6l but the sound is very different. I’ve narrowed the location of the sound using a mechanics stereoscope to the drivers front top head…it’s definitely not from the bottom end or the timing chain area. It’s loudest on the #2 top valve cover bolt just behind the first COP on that side.

I pulled and replaced all the plugs and COPs. No evidence of a loose or failing plug, which was something that could also happen on this motor.

This morning she fired right off without any clatter and ran like a champ on the way to work. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Back