Loud vs Quiet Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by rsalan
Originally Posted by kschachn
And yet I've made it all these years and miles using M1 nearly exclusively in my engines. How is that possible?

And probably having those engines run louder than they could've been.

Yeah who knows. The 1NZ-FE is more noisy no matter what, but the 1MZ-FE is a pretty quiet engine. You really only hear injector noise.

Somehow I have a hard time getting worked up over noise since I really don't think any of my engines are "loud" to be honest. The ones with a timing chain seem a bit louder than the ones with a belt.

And yet I've made it all these years and miles using M1 nearly exclusively in my engines. How is that possible?

When is the last time you have read about any oil related engine failure? Not likely in quite some time I'm guessing?

The point a lot of people miss on here with me is, I have never said Mobil is junk and one is playing Russian Roulette with their engine by using it. All I have ever said, or tried to say is, it is overpriced oil for what you actually get.

Of course, this is just my opinion, but I have stated the same thing with Yamalube engine oils. Why spend $20 bucks on a liter of oil when you can purchase a better oil for less money? It makes no sense at all to me.
crazy2.gif

Like I said above, less noise=less friction, imo, and I get that by using Pennzoil oils. I also see, on average, better looking UOAs from Pennzoil so why would I not use it when I can purchase it cheaper and have a quieter running engine as well?

If you like Mobil, use it, it really matters here nor there to me, but, like what I have been trying to say all along is, I don't think it's as good of an oil as Mobil and others make it out to be, especially when you see it, on average, priced higher than others. Just my opinion, again.
11.gif

Originally Posted by irv
When is the last time you have read about any oil related engine failure? Not likely in quite some time I'm guessing?

The point a lot of people miss on here with me is, I have never said Mobil is junk and one is playing Russian Roulette with their engine by using it. All I have ever said, or tried to say is, it is overpriced oil for what you actually get.

Of course, this is just my opinion, but I have stated the same thing with Yamalube engine oils. Why spend $20 bucks on a liter of oil when you can purchase a better oil for less money? It makes no sense at all to me.
crazy2.gif

Like I said above, less noise=less friction, imo, and I get that by using Pennzoil oils. I also see, on average, better looking UOAs from Pennzoil so why would I not use it when I can purchase it cheaper and have a quieter running engine as well?

If you like Mobil, use it, it really matters here nor there to me, but, like what I have been trying to say all along is, I don't think it's as good of an oil as Mobil and others make it out to be, especially when you see it, on average, priced higher than others. Just my opinion, again.

The only data point I've ever had with different oils is that back when GC was all the rage on here I started using it in my Sienna instead of M1. I noticed however that the PCV valve clogged up quite a bit faster with GC than it did with M1 so I went back.

Lately though I've started to use Castrol 0W-40 in the Sienna because it has Longlife-01 approval and I'm already buying it for the BMW. It just seemed like a good idea for that old engine. I've not noticed anything in regards to noise though, and since upgrading the rear valve cover to the new design I don't know what the PCV valve is doing either since I've stopped checking.

Originally Posted by irv
... Like many allude to, less noise=less friction. ...
Could you please explain to us the physics on which that conclusion is based?

The only time I had an issue with noise was right after the rod came out the side of the block. It didn't make noise anymore.

must be engine design dependent....I can't tell a lick of a difference on my 17' civic with the 1.5t. has m1 5w30ep in it now and it's just as quiet with magnatec 5w30

Originally Posted by irv
Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by irv
... Like many allude to, less noise=less friction. ...
Could you please explain to us the physics on which that conclusion is based?

https://www.audioholics.com/room-acoustics/physics-tutorial-2-the-physics-of-hearing

This discussion should include the audio characteristics of resonance and transference between aluminum and cast iron blocks and heads. Also, the use of hollow camshafts may increase such elements.

I'm just babbling here but maybe there is something to this?

Oh, oh, so you will be the first to scientifically explain the M1 noise phenomenon …

Standing by on this channel …

If one gets 60-70% PAO along with OEM certs for $5/quart … sorry, but I don't feel cheated …

* Are M1 synthetic oils still showing high metals in UOA's ? I thought that was a temporary situation resulting from a hurricane ? quote=irv]
Originally Posted by JoelB
Am i the only one that pours the oil in and doesn't try to [censored] the change in sound from the engine?? Why spend any time thinking about this at all? Has it really even been proven that "louder" oils have any negative effect? There is no science to this at all.

Like many allude to, less noise=less friction.

With all the info, data, analysis, ingredients, arguments, etc, and trying to decipher through all the info and opinions, myself, personally, I think the ear/hearing test is one that is written off far more than it should be.

People post ingredients of this oil and that oil and state this one is superior to the next one but when UOAs roll in they show the oil really isn't that special at all.
Same as VOAs, they look good on paper but when you dig deeper and realize some ingredients counteract others, or can, and some info is proprietary, sometimes just listening to your engine and reading UOAs is more informative than any of those things, imo.

Like what has been stated here in this thread, many find Mobil noisier than others and when they see UOAs that have above average wear metals in them, they switch oil brands and hear a much quieter engine and see much better looking UOAs on average.

I know I will be flamed for this, but this is the reason I now run Pennzoil oils, plus, on average they are cheaper to purchase as well. (Don't forget to compare jug sizes/amounts)
I use to be a Mobil fanboi too until I joined this site and seen and learned a thing or 2. [/quote]

Special learning that so many OEM's just never got … how in the world do they design and build engines and cars and even race them …

This is the weakest thread of the week …
Once again ignore the guy with the highest net car miles on the site … who makes some of the most sound arguments
(To the deaf here … that claim to hear noise) …

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
* Are M1 synthetic oils still showing high metals in UOA's ? I thought that was a temporary situation resulting from a hurricane ? quote=irv]
Am i the only one that pours the oil in and doesn't try to [censored] the change in sound from the engine?? Why spend any time thinking about this at all? Has it really even been proven that "louder" oils have any negative effect? There is no science to this at all.

With all the info, data, analysis, ingredients, arguments, etc, and trying to decipher through all the info and opinions, myself, personally, I think the ear/hearing test is one that is written off far more than it should be.

People post ingredients of this oil and that oil and state this one is superior to the next one but when UOAs roll in they show the oil really isn't that special at all.
Same as VOAs, they look good on paper but when you dig deeper and realize some ingredients counteract others, or can, and some info is proprietary, sometimes just listening to your engine and reading UOAs is more informative than any of those things, imo.

Like what has been stated here in this thread, many find Mobil noisier than others and when they see UOAs that have above average wear metals in them, they switch oil brands and hear a much quieter engine and see much better looking UOAs on average.

I know I will be flamed for this, but this is the reason I now run Pennzoil oils, plus, on average they are cheaper to purchase as well. (Don't forget to compare jug sizes/amounts)
I use to be a Mobil fanboi too until I joined this site and seen and learned a thing or 2.

[/quote]

The jug sizes are different?

On 30 weight Mobil 1 is quite noisy for standard edition but EP is quieter. Interestingly 0w20 EP is very quiet. So nowadays only AP, EP or AFE is on my radar

Originally Posted by 4WD

Oh, oh, so you will be the first to scientifically explain the M1 noise phenomenon …

Hence why I stated probably. All of this is based on anecdotal experiences by a number of users. I never claimed it as science-backed fact.

What I know:
  • A number of users say Oil A causes their engine to run louder than Oil B
  • Oil A is of the same weight as Oil B
  • Oil A carries the same specs as Oil B
  • Oil A is comparatively priced to Oil B
  • Oil A is getting worse UOAs than Oil B

Based on this, I'd tend to stick with Oil B until further details surface.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Special learning that so many OEM's just never got … how in the world do they design and build engines and cars and even race them …

This is the weakest thread of the week …
Once again ignore the guy with the highest net car miles on the site … who makes some of the most sound arguments
(To the deaf here … that claim to hear noise) …

No one's saying that using M1 is gonna blow up your engine and set fire to your neighborhood. People are just saying it seems to run audibly louder than its equivalents. But you're dead set against that possibility.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 4WD

Hence why I stated probably. All this is based on anecdotal experiences by a number of users. I never claimed it as science-backed fact.

What I know:
  • A number of users say Oil A causes their engine to run louder than Oil B
  • Oil A is of the same weight as Oil B
  • Oil A carries the same specs as Oil B
  • Oil A is comparatively priced to Oil B
  • Oil A is getting worse UOAs than Oil B

Based on this, I'd tend to stick with Oil B until further details surface.

I agree.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by ChrisD46

I use to be a Mobil fanboi too until I joined this site and seen and learned a thing or 2.

The jug sizes are different?[/quote]

Yes, Pimtac. Mobil jugs are only 4.4 Ltrs while Pennzoils are 5 Ltr jugs. I have heard 5 Lt jugs of Mobil will be available soon but I would guess with the increased jug size, increased prices will also follow.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...ic-engineoil-4-4-l-jug-0289929p.html#srp
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/pennzoil-platinum-syntheticengine-oil-5-l-0289323p.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted by irv

What about the "cushioning" effect of contacting parts due to different oil formulations?

Originally Posted by 4WD

Keep telling ya 4wd you have GOT to replace your hearing aide batteries... They won't last forever
lol.gif

I really did like your real world testing... It was interesting. And you found that M1 was actually quieter than the Pennzoil Ultra...

Hope you are doing good man. Always good to see you on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back