Lots of military stuff flying over lately

For the last week or so we have had lots of military planes and helicopters flying over. My wife is a huge conspiracy theorist.... More than I am.

None of these aircraft are on flightradar24. She thinks that the stuff is about to hit the fan. Had 7 black helicopters fly over very low about an hour ago. All together.

Anyone else noticing this?

Most helicopters are black or appear black against the sky.

Most helicopters don't file IFR flight plans, and won't appear on flight radar.

Have you seen the black helicopters that make very, very little noise? They are Stealth Copters, I saw them about 9 years ago up here in Idaho.

The area you live has a few bases, 1 of them is almost considered in your back yard. Back in the 80's we used to search for brass, 50 cal and 20mm on the superior dry lake bed which is where the brass would drop from the planes that were doing live fire drills at fort Irwin. Fort Irwin has become a training base for the Marines also even though its an Army base.

March by flight is not far, Miramar San Diego, MCLB Barstow Marine Corps Base in Barstow, CA "I think this is just an equipment logistics depot. Training center; MCRD San Diego Marine Corps Base in San Diego, CA. Twentynine Palms Marine Corps Twentynine Palms, CA "A.K.A. 29 Stumps, Camp Pendleton’s San Diego, CA "HUGE" Marine base, Edwards Air Force Base, not that far by air. And there are still more. I would not worry about it.

SetWidth940-tinfoil-hat.jpg

I do remember the supposed "whisper mode" from the movie Blue Thunder. There was a disclaimer that everything in the movie was technically feasible, although I read that their modifications of an Aerospatiale Gazelle were so heavy that it to camera/production tricks to make it seem like a nimble aircraft. I'm not sure there was even any kind of practical way to implement a whisper mode in the 80s, although I heard of newer style rotors that were supposedly quieter.

During Fleet Week last week (didn't go) I heard quite a bit of military jets flying overhead. Some of them were probably the show jets flying in from whatever bases they came from. I don't think they necessarily were doing any demos around my part of the Bay Area.

See the occasional refuelers go over and copters from a Guard unit. A couple years ago saw a Warthog go over the tree line in front of the house. Spectacular.

Anything with ADS-B within range of a receiver should appear on Flightradar24
Which requires: 1 that it’s installed and 2. That it’s turned on.

Blackhawk are likely among the last aircraft to get ADS-B.

Most DOD aircraft don’t yet have it retrofitted and helicopters often fly with the squawk off.

For the last week or so we have had lots of military planes and helicopters flying over. My wife is a huge conspiracy theorist.... More than I am.

None of these aircraft are on flightradar24. She thinks that the stuff is about to hit the fan. Had 7 black helicopters fly over very low about an hour ago. All together.

Anyone else noticing this?

Maybe they didn't spend their budget for this year yet, so extra fuel needs buying and extra training hours... 2022 is getting closer, budgets must be used up.

Mentally, what does one do when a conspiracy theory has been thoroughly debunked or the time for which it to occur has well elapsed? Hold out hope forever, move on to the next CT, assume they’re onto you and assume a defensive posture?

Thank goodness my wife and I are mostly reasonable people. Her mom is the wife you may remember from your typical old wive’s tails, and my wife luckily doesn’t believe in any of the nonsense my MIL gets from various channels.

Last edited:
Maybe they didn't spend their budget for this year yet, so extra fuel needs buying and extra training hours... 2022 is getting closer, budgets must be used up.
DoD budgets ended 30 SEP 2021. SO they are not spending money to spend.

It could be (but very much doubt) they ran out of funds for fuel in fiscal year 2021 that ended 30 SEP2021 and they are flying now in in fiscal year 2022 which started 01 OCT 2021, so they can maintain flight currency.

Fiscal year ends on September 30.

Budget resets on 01 October, which means that 2022 is already here, for the DOD budget, so that theory is unlikely.

Military units go through training and deployment cycles. There is a unit that is training, and they’re flying. It’s that simple.

Back