Lost my wheel lock key!

Went to do my back brakes and couldn't find my key. I always keep it in the glove box and had used it a week earlier when I did the front brakes. Searched everywhere to no avail. Went to AutoZone to get a removal tool but they said a rent a tool kit they had wouldn't work for my style locks.
I watched a video on YouTube about using a 12 point socket hammered on to remove them. Bought a 19mm one and it worked like a charm!

Crisis over.

Had that happen on the Acura 2 years ago. Went to the dealer and they have keys. They actually took the lock lugs off for me and gave me 4 free regular lugs. Found the key acouple days later in my trunk crevice.

Wheel locks are stupid. They only annoy people that lose the key and don't deter thieves at all :sneaky:
They actually keep the hood rats at bay.

A well equipped tweaker maybe not.

A pro, for sure but maybe he couldn't be bothered with wheels and tires.

So yes, if you drive into Bellingham or other drug looney infested place, they do indeed deter theives.

Last edited:
I think wheel locks are a joke. When we bought the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee we took the locks off immediately. I suppose if you live in a bad neighborhood they would be nice however it seems thieves like to steal other things instead of wheels and tires. OP it's good you were able to remove the lug nuts.

Wheel locks are stupid. They only annoy people that lose the key and don't deter thieves at all :sneaky:
If you get the style that goes on EVERY wheel bolt, it will deter most thieves. They don't want to be messing with TWENTY locks, so will usually move on to an easier target.

070.JPG

If you get the style that goes on EVERY wheel bolt, it will deter most thieves. They don't want to be messing with TWENTY locks, so will usually move on to an easier target.

View attachment 149506
The AutoZone guy was talking about spline locks on all four wheels for all lugnuts. Of course his rental kit would do spline locks not my kind.....😞

Splines aren't really locks, as they have a few standard sockets. The main reason for them is they allow the recessed holes in the wheel to be smaller. Some aftermarket wheels have small holes for style reasons and require them.

Back