2004 Isuzu Rodeo - Lost key who services?

A family friend lost the key to her 2004 Rodeo. Doesn’t have a spare. Anyone have an idea of who might have VIN data on these things to make a replacement key?

I’ve seen that some folks have had luck pulling the ignition cylinder to check for a 4 or 5 digit code and then going to a Honda dealer, but those were for the older Rodeos that also had a Honda version. Wandering if the same might work for a 2004.

I believe you'll need a PIN to program the immobilizer plus the mechanical key cut code

It might be stamped on one of the door lock barrels or the ignition barrel
Remote keyfob programming is on board and DIYable, but the immobilizer part doesn't seem so

A NASTF registered locksmith should be able to look up the key code (with suitable proof of ownership)

I don't know of many/any remaining Isuzu dealers or service departments still operating in the US
I don't know if the Commercial Truck side can assist with your automotive product

This service + some door disassembly might be in your future
I believe you can also just send them a lock cylinder with the module, and get one stop shopping 👌

Yep, a good locksmith, mobile or otherwise will be able to fix you up. Since Isuzu dealers have pretty much been gone for 20yrs, like you say, a Honda dealer might be able to help given the Passport was the Honda clone of an Isuzu Rodeo.

These vehicles are a mix of GM/Delphi parts and Isuzu. Kind of neat to have a 2004 as that was the last year for the Rodeo and the first run of the mill vehicle I know of that was offered with a GDI engine. I believe it was a 3.5L GDI, where the regular engine was the port injected 3.2L. You had your choice for the 2004 model year only.

I owned a 2002 from new. Also had a 2003 in the family and several early 2000 Troopers.

Yep, a good locksmith, mobile or otherwise will be able to fix you up. Since Isuzu dealers have pretty much been gone for 20yrs, like you say, a Honda dealer might be able to help given the Passport was the Honda clone of an Isuzu Rodeo.

These vehicles are a mix of GM/Delphi parts and Isuzu. Kind of neat to have a 2004 as that was the last year for the Rodeo and the first run of the mill vehicle I know of that was offered with a GDI engine. I believe it was a 3.5L GDI, where the regular engine was the port injected 3.2L. You had your choice for the 2004 model year only.

I owned a 2002 from new. Also had a 2003 in the family and several early 2000 Troopers.
She’s owned it since new—very clean vehicle. I too have always thought it was unique that it has GDI that early on in the aughts. Hers has that engine. The 3.5.

Reactions: JTK
I believe you'll need a PIN to program the immobilizer plus the mechanical key cut code

It might be stamped on one of the door lock barrels or the ignition barrel
Remote keyfob programming is on board and DIYable, but the immobilizer part doesn't seem so

A NASTF registered locksmith should be able to look up the key code (with suitable proof of ownership)

I don't know of many/any remaining Isuzu dealers or service departments still operating in the US
I don't know if the Commercial Truck side can assist with your automotive product

This service + some door disassembly might be in your future
I believe you can also just send them a lock cylinder with the module, and get one stop shopping 👌

Found this on the Isuzu website as well:

I’m going to tell her to try a locksmith first and then go from there.

Reactions: JTK
She’s owned it since new—very clean vehicle. I too have always thought it was unique that it has GDI that early on in the aughts. Hers has that engine. The 3.5.
Oh very cool! That's amazing it's still going strong aside from your key situation. The GDI 3.5 also came with an Aisin-Warner 4spd auto vs, the GM 4L30E the rest of the 1998-2004 had.

Oh very cool! That's amazing it's still going strong aside from your key situation. The GDI 3.5 also came with an Aisin-Warner 4spd auto vs, the GM 4L30E the rest of the 1998-2004 had.
Don’t believe there have been any major issues with it either. I did valve cover gasket over the summer because it was dripping onto the manifold and smoking up. She said that’s pretty much it aside from routine maintenance.

Good point there and second good point about a GM dealership.
Tried the old Isuzu dealer but the service guy said they couldn’t help. Thought about trying a Chevy dealer but figured a locksmith will be cheaper—called one that said he can do it but he’s out of town until Tuesday so will have to wait until then.

Will keep this thread updated!

Tried the old Isuzu dealer but the service guy said they couldn’t help. Thought about trying a Chevy dealer but figured a locksmith will be cheaper—called one that said he can do it but he’s out of town until Tuesday so will have to wait until then.

Will keep this thread updated!
You ever figure it out?

Back