looking for a good PUSH mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
My grandmothers neighbor has been cutting her grass for years, but theyre getting ready to move. I'll take over the grass cutting, its a small yard that can easily be done with a push mower.

Its 2017, and lithium ion batteries are great. Why mess with a gasoline powered mower, especially for a small yard?
I just got a
EGO 20 in. 56 Volt Lithium ion Cordless Push Mower with 5.0Ah Battery and Charger Included
----Included 5.0Ah Arc-Lithium battery powers all EGO POWER+ products
----Single-lever, 6-position deck-height adjustment
----Charges in approximately 80 min with included standard charger
----Runs the mower for about 45 minutes

...but for an even smaller yard, consider a Black and Decker rechargeable or maybe Ryobi battery mower for cheaper than the Ego.
Home Depot, Lowes, Amazon....

No oil changes, no getting gas for it, no air filters, easy decision.

Originally Posted By: Nukeman7
This Troy-Bilt unit's steel cutting deck is not heavy duty, but it cuts great with the Honda GCV-160 engine. Starts easily with one pull and can be pushed and maneuvered with one hand. It is a bargain at full price and a steal while on sale through June 21st at Lowes.

Troy-Bilt TB-130

+1 on this. I have a 10 yr old version of this TB\Honda, and in my opinion it is the best value for a Honda powered mower. The high wheels are nice too.

Originally Posted By: Donald
You will mostly find low end that are push only.

Look for a front wheel self propelled.

I have a Husqvarna AWD self propelled with the Briggs engine. It always starts first pull and will climb some serious hills. I bought it at lowes. They are on sale right now for $299.00 combine that with a 10% off coupon and it's a great deal. If you don't have a coupon ask to speak with a manager and see if they have last years model in stock. When I bought mine I bought the previous years model new in a box for $268 OTD. Lowe's managers are generally okay with you asking for a discount. At least in my area. Good luck.

Get the flat head Briggs engine, used as I dont think they are made anymore.Check for blue smoke and knocking at startup. Should be able to find one for 30 bucks(garage sale),probably last 20 more years, if filled with some kind of oil.

Originally Posted By: OilSwine
This Troy-Bilt unit's steel cutting deck is not heavy duty, but it cuts great with the Honda GCV-160 engine. Starts easily with one pull and can be pushed and maneuvered with one hand. It is a bargain at full price and a steal while on sale through June 21st at Lowes.

Troy-Bilt TB-130

+1 on this. I have a 10 yr old version of this TB\Honda, and in my opinion it is the best value for a Honda powered mower. The high wheels are nice too.

Another Vote for this mower. I am on about year 8 or so with mine. I dont do anything special like stabil or fogging. I also almost never wash underneath. I have mowed fields with it that nearly bogged the mower down to quitting..using it like a bush hog. Its a tank. I have abused mine and it still starts on the first half pull and cuts great. I have bent two blades beyond straightening as well. I know ive never looked at the spark plug either. Oil changes have been rotella 15w40 at the end of each season before i store it.

After listening to yall and reading reviews online, I've decided to go with the Troy Bilt TB130. Cant beat the Honda engine, I'll keep the oil changed, a good blade on it, and the underside of the deck clean and it should last for many years

Last edited:
Good to hear. I was wondering what happened to you.
smile.gif

After listening to yall and reading reviews online, I've decided to go with the Troy Bilt TB130. Cant beat the Honda engine, I'll keep the oil changed, a good blade on it, and the underside of the deck clean and it should last for many years

I have a similar TroyBilt w/Honda G**160 that I bought at LOWE'S ~7-8 yrs ago and love it. Deck is just starting to rust a bit but, I keep the underneath clean(garden hose spray) and oil the under deck with my used oil from my OCI's and some RED paint on top. The HONDA engine is great!

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Troy-Bilt-TB130...lity/1000178355

https://www.craftsman.com/products/craft...wheels?taxon_id

Well, I was dead set on buying the Troy Bilt TB130XP with the Honda engine, unti I went to my local hardware store that carries Craftsman. The links above is the Troy Bilt, and the Craftsman model I looked at. The nearest lowes is 50 miles away, compared to 7 miles for the hardware store, should any warranty problems or anything arise. Are they equal in quality, the Briggs compared to the Honda? If the Honda is really alot better, I dont mind going out of my way to buy the Troy bilt. And I said I would only use the side discharge, I might use the bagger option depending on how long it takes to fill up. I don;t want to have to stop every 10 minutes to empty the bag. So, which would be the better mower? I see the Briggs engine is the one that they say you never have to change just check and add. The oil will definitely be changed regularly if I buy the Craftsman.

Last edited:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Troy-Bilt-TB130...lity/1000178355

https://www.craftsman.com/products/craft...wheels?taxon_id

Well, I was dead set on buying the Troy Bilt TB130XP with the Honda engine, unti I went to my local hardware store that carries Craftsman. The links above is the Troy Bilt, and the Craftsman model I looked at. The nearest lowes is 50 miles away, compared to 7 miles for the hardware store, should any warranty problems or anything arise. Are they equal in quality, the Briggs compared to the Honda? If the Honda is really alot better, I dont mind going out of my way to buy the Troy bilt. And I said I would only use the side discharge, I might use the bagger option depending on how long it takes to fill up. I don;t want to have to stop every 10 minutes to empty the bag. So, which would be the better mower? I see the Briggs engine is the one that they say you never have to change just check and add. The oil will definitely be changed regularly if I buy the Craftsman.

This "just check and add" engine caters to owners for whom oil maintenance is a chore, the opposite of your average BITOGer. As such you won't find much love for it here.

My personal belief is that the Honda GCV-160 motor is head and shoulders better than the latest version of the Briggs & Stratton engine. B & S used to make a pretty good engine before cost cutting began ~10 years ago. The cutting deck of the Troy-Bilt and Craftsman mowers are similar as they are both manufactured by MTD. The Honda motor commands a premium pricetag and is a significant upgrade in all mower manufacturer's offerings. The only small engine that is considered better than a Honda for a push mower is a Kawasaki which is a commercial unit comparable to Honda's GXV line. FWIW, I'd drive the 50 miles to Lowes and be happy for years to come with no regret.

The Troy Bilt seems hands down the best option, besides the front plastic part of the deck. I found this Husqvarna push model at Lowes, same Honda engine, same features and an all steel deck, no plastic, with double ball bearings on the wheels. I didnt think it would be this hard to decide on a push mower. so, the Husky or Troy Bilt?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Husqvarna-7021P...lity/1000178951

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: skyactiv

I would stay away from a 125 or 140 CC push mower. Cheap mowers as such typically have a slower spinning engine than say the Honda push.

Blade speed is limited by the Consumer Product Safety commission. 3.5 hp have cut the grass around me just fine; it only bogs if it's super thick, wet, and neglected.

I would look for a cheap push mower with a composite or aluminum deck. A lot of my mowing is back-and-forth around obstacles which self-propelled mowers just fight me over. The rolling resistance of a lightweight push mower is only 10-20 lbs, not much.

FWIW you can set the governed engine speed by bending the tab that holds the governor spring.

The Troy Bilt seems hands down the best option, besides the front plastic part of the deck. I found this Husqvarna push model at Lowes, same Honda engine, same features and an all steel deck, no plastic, with double ball bearings on the wheels. I didnt think it would be this hard to decide on a push mower. so, the Husky or Troy Bilt?

The Husqvarna is actually a better mower than the Troy-Bilt due to a slightly thicker steel deck and the ball bearing wheels. The Troy-Bilt is easier to push due to less weight. However, my local Lowes says that it may be out of production and they can't order it. You may want to call your nearby Lowes store before making a 50 mile trip. Remember the Troy-Bilt sale ends tomorrow at Lowes.

That is the same exact one that I have!

The problem with buying the cheapest one you can get is the decks are very shallow on them. This makes for a lousy mulcher and makes them gouge or plow the ground on the leading/trailing end over high or uneven ground. The wheels and associated hardware are horrible on the cheapest of the cheap as well. You can beef that up, but it's still polishing a turd.

I'd rather buy a quality used mower for $80-100 with a Briggs flat head engine than the cheapest POS they sell at Lowes because it has a Honda engine.

Pretty much any mower you buy if you change the oil the engine will outlast the deck. I work on small engines on the side, and have been doing so for 12 years now. The only engine failures I see are engines that are run low on oil/no oil, or if the customer hits a rock and bends the crankshaft.

My personal belief is that the Honda GCV-160 motor is head and shoulders better than the latest version of the Briggs & Stratton engine. B & S used to make a pretty good engine before cost cutting began ~10 years ago. The cutting deck of the Troy-Bilt and Craftsman mowers are similar as they are both manufactured by MTD. The Honda motor commands a premium pricetag and is a significant upgrade in all mower manufacturer's offerings. The only small engine that is considered better than a Honda for a push mower is a Kawasaki which is a commercial unit comparable to Honda's GXV line. FWIW, I'd drive the 50 miles to Lowes and be happy for years to come with no regret.

Search ebay for "GCV160" and there's about 1,600 entries, meaning there will be no shortage of spare parts for the GCV160 in the foreseable future. Meaning you will be able to maintain it. It's a design that has been around since hte 90s, was little changed because it just works.

Also it's an overhead cam engine, better in many ways compared to older mower designs.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
I'd rather buy a quality used mower for $80-100 with a Briggs flat head engine than the cheapest POS they sell at Lowes because it has a Honda engine.

Funny how my Troy-Bilt POS has lasted over 8 years with only annual oil changes and one replacement blade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back