New Yard Machines mowers with a measly 79CC Chonda

I was in Menard's earlier grabbing a few Champion plugs for OPE, and I took a look at the mowers, and I seen the Tag for a 79CC 20" MTD Yard Machines mower and at first I thought that must be a Typo maybe they meant 179cc but then I looked at the box and, nope, it apparently has a 79cc Chonda on it. I love how the box says it's great for cutting thick grass, I don't have much confidence in how well that'd work, I don't think I've ever seen a mower with a 4-stroke engine smaller than 100cc, probably even 120cc, even the old Classic Briggs that was on every cheap mower 30-50+ years ago was 148cc, of course that was a flat-head but still that's gotta have a lot more power than an OHV engine with nearly half the displacement. Compared to a ~120cc engine is it really that much cheaper to make a 79cc engine, wonder why they'd put such a paltry engine on a mower.

295363588_7782064018535625_5471318591691377135_n.jpg

Last edited:
I think in every mowers owners manual it says to only use half the width of cut at once.... With this one its probably necessary! Maybe it revs to 12k?:eek:

I think in every mowers owners manual it says to only use half the width of cut at once.... With this one its probably necessary! Maybe it revs to 12k?:eek:
Max RPM is dictated by the blade size, I don't remember what the max blade tip velocity is but I think I remember reading about engine swaps and someone wanted to use a pressure washer engine on a 21 or 22in deck and they were advised that that exceeds the CPSCs maximum blade velocity, so the revs on this 79cc probably couldn't really be much faster that on a more typical 125cc engine that would be sold on the same 20in deck but is also used on some 21in decks.

Wow I’ve never imagined such a tiny engine. Surprised they didn’t make it 18”. It’ll probably be ok for people who mow every week religiously but I wouldn’t want to try mowing anything taller with it.

My old scooter has a 49cc 4 cycle Chinese motor in it and it pushes me around town at 30 mph. I would think 79cc would do fine spinning a 20 inch blade. Doesn't appear to be self propelled.

Thats probably not that bad.. its not self propelled so less power drain.. and you can push as slow as needed..
as long as its side discharge and not mulching.. wouldnt be terrible.. 3hp.

Back