New Yard Machines mowers with a measly 79CC Chonda

Ideal usage “thick grass” LOL 😂

That thing would choke on one row week long growth in either of my yards no matter how slow you pushed it.

Makes no sense to clone a third scale Honda, can’t be that much cheaper to make it smaller.

Curious.... what's bad about large rear wheels?
Compromised maneuverability and durability. The larger rear wheels are really for appearances only.
To accommodate the larger rear wheels, the wheels need to be mounted further back on the mower, making it more difficult to lift the front wheels off the ground to make a turn because of leverage (or more specifically, lack thereof) and the center of gravity being more forward. This is especially true of the front wheel drive self propelled models of these. This also causes the cheap thin gauge handle (and handle mounts) to easily bend and break. The lawn mower manufacturers "market" them as being easier to roll over rough lawns, but for this to actually be true the front wheels would also need to be equally as large. Buyers like and buy them in the stores because they give the appearance of being tougher, which they are not. These cheap mowers are all about appearance.

Many years ago Yazoo popularized this type of design. They were the first truly commercial lawn mowers that many regular people had any contact with. The difference was that the engine was mounted in the rear, just behind the center line of the rear axle, the blade was driven by a belt, they were all self propelled because they were very heavy, and the handles were thick gauge with reinforcements. The cheap lawn mowers are made to look like these.

1659277991990.png

Tall wheels are usually made of cheap plastic and crack their hubs apart eventually. I have an otherwise perfect mower a customer gave me with broken plastic 12” rear wheels. I’m gonna order some all steel wheels for it and sell it.

They're great if you enjoy having 3 batteries or recharging 3 times to mow a quarter of an acre.
Or it catching on fire and almost setting your lawn on fire, like my neighbors Ego power. Double whammy his new Ego has a completely different mower blade design and there seems to be no replacement blades. His new mower blade won't hold an edge.

You'd have to mow every week with this puny thing. Try it every other and she's blowing up.

I just came across this, I'm interested to figure out exactly how you power a mower like this with what appears to be a horizontal shaft engine.

Interesting design, never seen one before, thanks for posting that.

It looks to me like there is a small gearbox which turns a shaft going through the deck (you see the aluminum housing in the photo), and in turn the blade is gear or belt driven underneath. But I struggle to think of any advantages with that configuration....

90+% of reviews are "incentivized" meaning they received a discount or got the product for free. The ones that aren't are all 1 star reviews, even some of the incentivized ones review the product negatively. That's not a good sign!

As somebody else said this is the same power/sales category as the old Briggs "Classic" smallest/cheapest flathead. CC is not a measurement of engine output. Somebody has to sell lawnmowers to dumb tenants who don't need them to last more than a year, or have any idea what maintenance is, or how to treat an engine.

I don't know about the vertical version, but I have several of the 79cc-ish horizontal engines and they are great. On a generator it makes more wattage than an old 3.5hp Briggs could. CC for CC, they are better than an old flathead Briggs, both for efficiency and quality.

A lawn mower and generator are completely different applications, most lawn mowers are going to run at around 3000RPM where the generator is going to want to run at 3600RPM, on a flat head you start running into severe air scavenging problems when you get up into the high RPM range. But unless that 3.5hp Briggs was super worn out it's going to make more power and have much better torque than a 79cc OHV engine and overall be a much better mower engine.

The mower in the title is only 79cc, but remember some people with small lawns buy those 4-wheeled "mower" attachments for their string trimmer so they can can turn their string trimmer into a lawn mower, of sorts.

Back