Looking at new (used) vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I think the wife and I decided that instead of spending $1000 (minimum) to get the AC fixed and new tires on the Vibe, we are going to get a new(er) vehicle.

We found this one.

Edmunds has TMV at $9154 (for outstanding condition, which it is), and trade in for our Vibe at about $3100 (for clean condition, which it is).

The vehicle is flawless and has a clean CarFax, in really, really, really good shape. Going to test drive it tomorrow. This would be my daily driver, and the wife would get out 2010 Equinox.

Comments on this vehicle? The drivetrain especially?

I may ask for comments on other vehicles as this thread progresses.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my old friends had had to buy a couple coils for his 2005 escape and was totaled in it's first fender bender (when the Accord that hit him wasn't).

Otherwise I've never heard anything terrible about them.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Price is high, but it does look like it is in good shape...

Yup, price is a bit high. That is part of the process. I looked at it on the lot today but didn't have time to drive it. The only thing wrong is the leather on the doors needs to be repaired, but they'd have to fix that for us to buy it. Otherwise exceptional condition. Went there with my wife tonight to show her it (they were closed, didn't think anyone would be there, but they still were so we talked a bit). We are driving it at 4:30 tomorrow.

Comments on the vehicle welcomed. Especially on the drive train. This is the 3.0 V6 with the 4 speed with overdrive.

I think the cats are a major problem on those aren't they? ANd being an '05 it's out of Fed emissions warranty.

Nice Escape.

MIL has one very similar, same powertrain. Its been flawless for her. I actually prefer the old 4 spd auto over the newer 6 speed ones. Less hunting for gears and seems smoother overall. The 3.0 has plenty of power. Solid acceleration and relaxed freeway cruising. MIL gets ~26 mpg on the highway. City driving can get into the teens.

The model run was from 2000-2007 so a 2005 example shouldn't have any bugs. I'd definitely buy that vehicle if I were in the market for one.

Be leery of the CD4E when mated to the V6. Many last if cared for. Many don't. Other than that, they are decent. Check out Escape-City, or google CD4E.

Those are pretty good cars...I've driven a number of them and enjoyed it. They are noted for coils going bad, but if you keep them tuned up properly they seem to last longer. It's a bit of pain to get to the back three plugs as you have to remove the upper intake, but it's not too bad...more time consuming than anything. Keep up the maintenance and it should last awhile.

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
Also might go check this one out.

A Mitsubishi Outlander.

I really like my Outlander, no problems with it, good handling and comfortable on long trips. FWIW Consumer Reports rates them above average on reliability.

Have you considered the Chrysler Pacifica, Ford Freestyle, Hyundai Santa Fe and Scion xB? They seem like they would fit your needs for space.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Price is high, but it does look like it is in good shape...

Yup, price is a bit high. That is part of the process. I looked at it on the lot today but didn't have time to drive it. The only thing wrong is the leather on the doors needs to be repaired, but they'd have to fix that for us to buy it. Otherwise exceptional condition. Went there with my wife tonight to show her it (they were closed, didn't think anyone would be there, but they still were so we talked a bit). We are driving it at 4:30 tomorrow.

Comments on the vehicle welcomed. Especially on the drive train. This is the 3.0 V6 with the 4 speed with overdrive.

A little different from 04 but still the same basic engine/trans. A friend had the ECM go out in the 05 which caused some weird issues that mimic'd bad coils. I've heard of few others but seem to rare cases. You'll love the 3.0 even behind the CD4E. Never have a problem merging with traffic.

If the trans fluid is brown walk away if you can't get a smokin deal. You can do slow 4 quart changes and it should be fine. DO NOT do a trans flush. There's a drain plug at the bottom the trans making it easy.

I guess it shows I haven't bought a used car in a long time, but I couldn't bring myself to spend $10k on a 7 year old 100k mile vehicle.

Looks like it would be a good deal at $4k-$5k.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I guess it shows I haven't bought a used car in a long time, but I couldn't bring myself to spend $10k on a 7 year old 100k mile vehicle.

Looks like it would be a good deal at $4k-$5k.

I buy only used, and I wouldn't get anywhere near that Escape, for that kind of money.

Well, I drove the Escape and didn't like it. Nice vehicle, but too narrow of a wheel base and too unstable.

After all this time, my wife opened up to the idea of looking at a small car as long as it was a nice car.

So we went home with a 2013 Hyundai Elantra (mid-tier package) on lease from the same dealership that had the Escape. I've heard normally leases are a sucker's deal and I've never leased before (and may not again), but it seemed to fit our situation this time around. We got what I think is a fair deal on it. It is a 3 week old Hyundai dealership and they had a guy there from Hyundai sort of teaching the dealership about how to be a dealership, and if not for him the deal wouldn't have happened. If not for the 40 mpg it also wouldn't have happened (saves $60-70/month depending on gas prices compared to the Vibe). The Hyundai guy said in a couple years they are coming out with a three row crossover (similar to the CX-9 was my impression), which is the type of vehicle we will be looking for in that time period (as long as it can tow a bit like the Traverse can) so we'll trade the Elantra in.

We knew we needed to put $1100 or so into the Vibe in the next month for AC and tires, and possibly $1500 if doing just the compressor and not also the dryer didn't fix the AC right (dryer built into condenser so that is a $400 job itself). It also should get a shim in the passenger side rear to adjust the toe straight, which would be $200 (but really we drove it like that for 7 years, just have to be careful with abnormal tire wear). Just not worth it on a 2003 with 143k miles, where three months from now the transmission might go out, or the alternator, or the fuel pump, or it might need front end work, etc.

The wife is happy. She works hard and has never had a new car (we got our Equinox new three years ago, but I drive it). Just took us several days of going lot to lot and driveing multiple cars (plus online research) to figure out what worked for us for now.

The Hyundai guy said in a couple years they are coming out with a three row crossover (similar to the CX-9 was my impression), which is the type of vehicle we will be looking for in that time period (as long as it can tow a bit like the Traverse can) so we'll trade the Elantra in.

They already have one (the Veracruz).

I rode in a new Santa Fe today; a business associate had rented it from out of town. I quite liked it; it was roomy inside and the engine (4 pot) was pretty quiet. The transmission shifted smoothly and it had a fair ride. It was somewhat rough over sharper bumps, but it was competent. I was pleased. It probably cost $23-25k, and you get a lot of equipment for the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back