I guess

Originally Posted By: DriveHard
my gut is telling me

I am thinking

It appears

I am guessing I will be replacing this beast down the road shortly.

DON'T throw any more parts darts at this car. You haven't said anything yet about monitoring fuel trims, reading fuel pressures digitally or physically, et cetera. What you're doing is not diagnosis. It's parts darts. Take it to a dealer or a Euro shop for a diagnosis. They'll tell you what's wrong with it and you can then decide if it's a repair you want to tackle
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Ethan1

DON'T throw any more parts darts at this car. You haven't said anything yet about monitoring fuel trims, reading fuel pressures digitally or physically, et cetera. What you're doing is not diagnosis. It's parts darts. Take it to a dealer or a Euro shop for a diagnosis. They'll tell you what's wrong with it and you can then decide if it's a repair you want to tackle
21.gif

I second this, these new GDI systems are complex and beyond the ability of most DIYers unless they have the time to study how the system works. If your part of Iowa requires a smog check within the 8/80 federal emissions performance warranty, Mercedes is required by law to warranty parts that are covered under that scope which failed inspection. This may not apply in your case,

Originally Posted By: MBUSA

NOTE: The Emission Performance Warranty
is required by Federal Law, and is
effective only to the extent required by
that law. To the extent the underlying
law is suspended or amended, this
Warranty is automatically altered in
the same manner, without further notice.
Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC (MBUSA) warrants
to the original and each subsequent
owner of a new Mercedes-Benz vehicle
that:
a. if the vehicle is maintained and operated
in accordance with MBUSA’s written
instructions for required maintenance and
use, and
b. if the vehicle fails to conform at any
time during 8 years or 80,000 miles,
whichever first occurs, to the applicable
emission standards as ascertained by an
EPA-approved emission short test, and
c. if such non-conformity results or will result
in the vehicle owner having to bear
any penalty or other sanction (including
the denial of the right to use the vehicle)
under local, State or Federal law, then any
authorized Mercedes-Benz Center during
the first 24 months or 24,000 miles will
make any repairs or replacements necessary
to specified systems/components to
correct the non-conformity or so that the
vehicle will pass the smog check test at
no charge for parts and labor (including diagnosis).

For the remainder of the 8 years or
80,000 miles the authorized MercedesBenz
Center will correct only those deficiencies
directly related to the specified
components in the attached list which
have been installed in or on the vehicle for
the sole or primary purpose of reducing
vehicle emissions and that were not in
general use prior to Model Year 1968.

II. Fuel Metering System
Fuel Filter (with Integrated Pressure Regulator)
Fuel Injector
Fuel Management System
Fuel Pressure Regulator
Fuel Pressure Sensor
Fuel System Control Module
High Pressure Pump
Injection Valve
Throttle

The warranty booket is here: http://assets.mbusa.com/vcm/CAC_RAPMD/13serviceandwarrantybooklet.pdf

Last edited:
Well, according to the emissions warranty, it appears the culprit I am suspecting should be covered...so off to the dealer she is going.

Have you checked the fuel trims to see if there is a lean condition that is being compensated for? Somethings is causing these plugs to foul.

If possible, smoke test the intake and make sure you have no leaks as part of your diagnostics.

People... it's a regular OBDII code with a sub-code. And when the battery dies on a car like this, it generally sets dozens of codes. Smh...

Did you read the part about the running issues?

Any updates with this?

Last edited:
I hope you got the 100 off 200 service coupon. It's mentioned in a few other forums just in case it isn't covered.

Originally Posted By: Audios
People... it's a regular OBDII code with a sub-code. And when the battery dies on a car like this, it generally sets dozens of codes. Smh...

Did you read the part about the running issues?

Yes...............?

That still only 1 business day. Hopefully you'll get an answer today though

Yeah, I am not that worried about it. They originally told me the first they would get to it would be Sat., but they would try to work it in sooner. Now come Monday and still no word and I might start getting antsy.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Where is the middle of IOWA? Ceder Rapids where I used to visit? Ed

The dealer I had the car taken to is in Des Moines.

the saga continues...

my wife drove it again the next day…and the light came on. No misfires, just the light. I pull the code and it says the bank number two (left side) catalytic efficiency is below threshold. There are no other codes.

I took it to the Mercedes dealer in Des Moines. They drive it several days and tell me that nothing is wrong with it except that the downstream O2 sensor on the left side needs replaced. They want to charge $500…I know it is a $40 sensor, so I tell them I will do it myself, and I go get the car.

I drive the 60 miles home from DSM…car runs fine.

The next day I drive about 20 miles round trip…when I get home there is a slight misfire. I hook up the scanner again and I have a misfire on cylinder 6…along with the still present catalytic efficiency code.

I drive it to work the next day ~10 miles, and pull codes when I get to work. Now I have a new code along with the cylinder 6 misfire…P2190-62 “The mixture (cylinder bank 2) at idle is too rich. The signal comparison is faulty”

On these last two drives, the misfire is very slight, and only present at idle. The fuel economy still seems to be worse than usual…and kind of jumps around erratically. The overall power seems about normal.

Thoughts…
I think the first misfires were caused by something happening with the fuel pressure regulator in the high pressure fuel pump. Either the pressure defaulted high and was dumping a ton of fuel in, or it was too low and so the injection pattern was [censored], causing the raw fuel and carbon fouling. I believe this may have also damaged either the O2 sensor or Cat, or both, and my current problem is maybe a bad O2 sensor on the left bank (2) causing a bad mix?

Last edited:
Theres something going on with the fuel injection on that bank, possibly carbon buildup is starting to show its face. Ill bet if you can take a look at the back of the valves there will be buildup. The catalyst is an emissions component and should be covered under extended emissions warranty, in NJ its 8 or 9 years I think, so check the info for your state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back