Long commute -- 4+ hours per day

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to live outside Birmingham, AL and worked downtown. No problem for me going in, 10-15 minutes tops. But the traffic coming home was awful... an hour or more to get home. My solution was to join the golf club 2 blocks from my office and walk 9 holes (sometimes 18) every afternoon. Then, when I got done, traffic was minimal and I went home. Not only did this keep me out of traffic, but my handicap dropped to a 4 and I was in great shape!!

Last edited:
I drive 55 miles, each way, to and from work, 4 days a week. It used to be 5 days per week, but I was lucky enough to get a work-from-home day one day per week.

On the other 4 days per week, I spend approximately 2.5 hours in the car each day going back and forth...

On the plus side, the car as a rather nice 8-speaker sound system with an interconnected USB port, Bluetooth, and MP3-capable CD player. I filled an 8GB USB drive with music, so I can literally go two months of commuting just on the USB, and never play the same song twice.

When I did field service all my travel was paid hourly so whether I had to travel 10 miles or 150 miles a day, I really didn't mind. It was great having 10-20 hours per week in OT for driving on the highway to and from work.

I would never travel long distances if I wasn't getting paid for all my time on the road.

My commute is exactly 22 miles from my driveway to my parking spot. Drivetime varies from 20-45 minutes,depending on traffic.

Looks like the verdict is to use this time for self development. It's a 150 mile drive each way so I will need to stock up on some good audio books like Crime and Punishment, etc.

Alfred B, checkout your local library. I credit talking books with keeping me off the 11PM news.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Looks like the verdict is to use this time for self development. It's a 150 mile drive each way so I will need to stock up on some good audio books like Crime and Punishment, etc.

Check out Overdrive.com, its a digital/audio book library app that you can download books for free and play them on your phone. In Ontario there is a digital book library for the province that my local library subscribes to, so I get access to tons of books. Beats the heck out of paying Audible full hard cover price for an audio book...
You may wait a while for the current best sellers, but I've found lots of interesting books just by choosing what's available currently.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
My commute is exactly 22 miles from my driveway to my parking spot. Drivetime varies from 20-45 minutes,depending on traffic.

Same miles as my commute but drive time is 30~ minutes as 98% highway drive
smile.gif

If you're commute is more than 30 minutes per day, another situation should be considered. Sitting that long is just plain bad for your health.

Any way to do it just 2x/week and stay over, not every day?

300 miles in 4 hours? I want to drive what you are driving :) Exactly which part of country you can cover 150 miles in 2 hours during commuting time?

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Books on CD or talk radio.

I also listen to audio books .

Do you have a favorite?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
If you're commute is more than 30 minutes per day, another situation should be considered. Sitting that long is just plain bad for your health.

Eh, us office guys sit for longer than that at a time. Usually once an hour I get up, but often its longer as well. I do agree that you should limit you total time sitting during the day, but how many people stand at home to watch tv or use their computer? I agree 2+ hours is too far a commute, but even for shorter drives, turning on the cruise and do some leg and core movements can help you feel better when you get out.
I guess with say 5 hours in the car a day, you should be getting home, be up and about making dinner and doing household stuff, do some exercise, limit your screen time to an hour or less, and then go to bed.
I wouldn't sign up for that, but some people could live healthily that way if they were careful to stay active.

50 miles each way, usually I can keep it to about 50 minutes. Which is probably the only way I could that (or farther): all highway, all good moving speeds. It's agony doing bumper to bumper crawling.

Trying to make it a goal to have a shorter commute in ten years but I don't know if that's feasible.

You certainly don't have to worry about condensation or fuel dilution in your oil, and you should be able to get some pretty long OCIs with all that highway driving.

I work from Home since 2003 and honestly long for a commute and a workplace. Once my youngest hits 5 I am pretty sure my 100% remote job will get changed.

I've never had a shorter commute than an hour and I once was driving 4 hours a day to make 35 grand a year to be a teacher. Yes, it was crazy, but I already owned a home with my wife jobs are not forthcoming here.

I remember when I was working in southern New Mexico that some workers at White Sands Missile Range lived in El Paso. That has to be ninety miles plus of nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back