Log Splitter 10W30 verse Hydraulic Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
First post here. Hopefully you can recommend me the proper fluid to use in my old log splitter. I searched, but didn't find the exact answer.

I have an old Lickity Splitter log splitter that says to use "10W30 oil NOT hydraulic fluid" in the hydraulic tank. I believe the dealer that last serviced it a long time ago put a light yellow/amber colored fluid in that looks like hydraulic fluid to me. I have no idea of the viscosity, although it appears thin. I don't understand why the manual says NOT to use hydraulic fluid.

The splitter holds about 4 - 4.5 gallons and is low on fluid (needs about 1 gallon) and I would prefer to top off the fluid, but obviously am not sure what is in there now. Any way to estimate viscosity? I bought 1 gallon of hydraulic fluid from Home Depot but have not opened it yet. It says SAE 10, ISO 32 and has antiwear properties. Not sure of the color since I haven't opened it yet.

I have never had an issue with the splitter yet, and is very rarely used, maybe 30 hours a year. Should I top off the unknown fluid with the Home Depot SAE 10, ISO 32, or do I really have to drain everything and put in real 10W30? What is the main differences and why does it want motor oil instead of real hydraulic fluid? I really am trying to save costs and would strongly prefer not to replace the fluid and dispose of the old.

Thanks

If this were MY splitter I wouldn't think twice about draining the mystery fluid and filling it with fresh 10W-30 as the MANUFACTURER RECOMMENDS!! I am a firm believer that the manufacturer recommendations are given for a REASON.

I am assuming that the way this hydraulic system is designed, something about it, weather it is the heat generated when under sever use or something else, it operates better with the 10W-30.

What model is it? 25A?

Is this it?

http://www.licketysplitter.com/detailpage.html

If it requires a 30 weight fluid then your splitter should use
an ISO 46-100 anti-wear hydraulic fluid with preferably a viscosity of 10.0 cSt at 100C.

Check with salesrep on this site as he is a Schaeffer's rep. and they have a wide variety of Hydraulic fluids.

Something like the Amsoil ATH 5W30 fluid should work as well. Pablo and Gary Allan should be able to help with the Amsoil selecton.

The ISO 32 is much too thin.

Last edited:
4 Gallons of Rotella 10w-30 would be fairly cheap.

Heck if you want to just top off a gallon, one gallon of Rotella is very inexpensive in relation to your equipment.

Ok, I'm convinced. I'll replace the fluid with 10w-30. I would maybe consider topping off with ISO 46 as suggested since the viscosity matches the 10w30. But seeing I don't know what it is, I'll just replace it. Not sure how many brands I have access to. Probably will just go to Autozone, Napa or Walmart.

The lickity splitter is a traditional horiztonal splitter. it is very old and not like the ones on the current website. Maybe someone just bought out the name.

Using ISO 32 instead of 10W30 is really not the worst you could do. In fact, if this is an old splitter, you might go ahead and "flush" using the stuff you got at HD before switching over to 10W30 for long-term use (maybe the dealer fill accomplishes this?).

Quote:
"10W30 oil NOT hydraulic fluid"

The only reason I can think of is at the time this old guy was built, there weren't any really good hydraulic fluids with a wide visosity rating; they were mostly straight weight R&O fluids with a little AW additive.

But today's hydraulic fluids, like the Schaffer's #254 synthetic blend in ISO 68,

http://www.schaefferoil.com/datapdf/254.pdf

or Amsoil's ATH

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/ath.aspx

should meet the viscosity specs and have the necessary AW additives required.

Kaboomba's suggestions makes sense; rinse it with the hydraulic fluid you now have. It is thinner and should flush out any crud. Use a new filter when you flush and use a new filter after you have refilled.

Periodic Filter replacent is a must since it traps a certain amount of water. And water is one of the worst enemies of open hydraulic systems.

I used to build 50 ton and above wood splitters with rebuilt cylinders from Catepiller blade cylinders.

Last edited:
Or fullfil both sides:
Use a STOU..10W-30 ENGINE OIL AND HYDRAULICFLUID and some more..
Also cheap. I use it in my hydraulic log cutter/ splitter.
(built like a guilliotine with splitter wedges on the cutting blade. Cuts 10 inch birch at 150 bars of pressure)

Thinking about this some more, I conclude that 10W-30 ultimately should be used, since the splitter was probably designed and tested with that back in the day. That means all tolerances and running clearances are tweaked in and designed to seal and lubricate with the thicker oil.

K

An ISO 68 fluid or the Amsoil ATH IS a 30 weight oil.

If he were using it in Texas, I would have recommended an ISO 100 AW Hydraulic oil, but since he is in CT, a slightly lower viscosity fluid is warranted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back