Case 440 Skid Steer Hydraulic Fluid Substitutes

Before you roll your eyes at this post or tell me it has been discussed before. Take a minute to read my logic and reasoning here. Yes there are countless posts about substitutes of 10W-30 used for hydraulic oil since Case did away with their HTO additive. Most seem to end up somewhere along the lines of I've used Mobil, or Travelers for years with no issues. My purpose here is to arrive at an alternative based on the following logic below hopefully by someone smarter than me to validate the alternate oil meets the specs.

The case 440 hydraulic drive is a Sauer Danfoss. Mine is model M91-46146 soo assuming this is a series 90 pump. I have attached the spec sheet below from Sauer. So whatever oil satisfies that spec should be a reasonable substitute. I am aware there are drawbacks for using hydraulic such as water emulsive properties. Motor oil is far better in that regard and I would not mind to use 10w-30 as the manual states. I am just a little confused how the case dealer has the only 10W-30 oil that has the right properties. The dealer told me that case oil had the right anti foam and friction properties. Now keep in mind you used to have to add the HTO additive to motor oil to make it viable when case used to offer it. I have the spec for that attached as well. So what motor oil and hydro fluid will work?

Attachments

• Sauer.jpg
    Sauer.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 123
  • Case HTO.jpg
    Case HTO.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 123
Would JD Hy-Guard not be a good choice? We use that stuff in almost everything at work. Either the regular or the low-viscosity (mostly in mower transmissions).

Back