List Of The Oldest Touring Bands

An obscure heavy metal band I like, Black Widow, recorded their first lp in 1969, and went on into the 80s under the name "Widow". Not sure if they're still around.

I think Jan and Dean started out in 1958. Jennie Lee was I think their first 45 from 1958.

Last edited:
I found a mono promo of Earth Opera's second lp awhile back.
WoW, the 2 leads are now renown in Blue Grass (Peter Rowan, David Grisman) were 'up here' (Boston) for college. EO were
part of the "Bosstown Sound" (SanFran sound, etc) at the time ('66, 67?). It's psychedelic rock (& some pop)... good on ya mate.

Any Ultimate Spinach ('65) around? (Jeff Baxter later of Doobies'n Steely Dan on guitar)

Last edited:
WoW, the 2 leads are now renown in Blue Grass (Peter Rowan, David Grisman) were 'up here' (Boston) for college. EO were
part of the "Bosstown Sound" (SanFran sound, etc) at the time ('66, 67?). It's psychedelic rock (& some pop)... good on yeah mate.

Any Ultimate Spinach ('65) around? (Jeff Baxter later of Doobies'n Steely Dan on guitar)
I think Jeff Baxter slowed down a lot. I am really sad he did not join any of the reformed Doobies tours since they been on the road non stop since they reformed in 1988. They only shut down for Covid then back out again.
I actually have a DvD someone sent to me of a short time group in the 1990s that featured Skunk..

The Best were an English–American supergroup originally formed in London in 1990, featuring Keith Emerson (of Emerson, Lake & Palmer) on keyboards, John Entwistle (of the Who) on bass and vocals, Joe Walsh (Eagles, James Gang, and solo fame) on guitar and vocals, Jeff "Skunk" Baxter (Steely Dan, the Doobie Brothers) on guitar, and Simon Phillips (the Jack Bruce band, 801, the Jeff Beck Group; later of Toto) on drums. Relative unknown Rick Livingstone[1] sang lead vocals (along with Walsh and Entwistle). Backing vocals were provided by Hamish, Angus and Fergus Richardson of the band Brother.
In a 1994 interview posted on the Who mailing list, Entwistle said that the Best had toured Japan, and that an American tour had been planned but never came to fruition.[2] In the same interview he also noted that drummer Zak Starkey had also been "in the band a while".
In 2010, a DVD of the band's 26 September 1990 performance in Yokohama, Japan was released.[3]

*NOTE* I found it was not as good as I expected as you can clearly see Joe Walsh was still a walking/talking Drug/Liqour store at the time.
Walsh and Skunk do pull off an amazing Steely Dan number mid way thru the show..

Last edited:
its nice to hear that originals like N. Lowe (early '60s) still make it out. Wishin for the likes of Alex Korner and Cryil Davies tho (late 50s). They
may not even B alive but sure did influence all to come ( Long John Baldrey, onto John Mayall, Clapton, Stones, etc).

part of the "Bosstown Sound" (SanFran sound, etc) at the time ('66, 67?). It's psychedelic rock (& some pop)... good on ya mate.

Love Ultimate Spinach! Have their 3 albums. Ultimate Spinach (III) is my favorite of them. Lineup is completely different, only Barbara Hudson remained. Rest of the group was the leftovers of Chameleon Church (Chevy Chase's band) adding also Jeff Baxter.

its nice to hear that originals like N. Lowe (early '60s) still make it out. Wishin for the likes of Alex Korner and Cryil Davies tho (late 50s). They
may not even B alive but sure did influence all to come ( Long John Baldrey, onto John Mayall, Clapton, Stones, etc).
Nick Lowe had a great 60s band, Kippington Lodge. I have these 45s.

he might have been the twenty-yrs-older-than-the-rest (a guy was in the forming 'band').
Pete Towsand's lill bro was in it then (may B sang?)

If I read their history right, did Pete get a random group of guys together to form a band, showcasing some of The Who's unreleased compositions? Newman had some connection to The Who Sell Out lp.

Did anyone mention Pink Floyd yet?
As a young teenager I still remember exactly where I was when I heard Dark Side of the Moon on a friends dads state of the art audio system back when the album was released. Man to go back in time …

Last edited:
Back