Like tinkering on cars? Start young.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Leo99
Originally Posted by RayCJ
I'm early 60's and my dad was an old-school tool & die maker. I grew-up in a machine shop and was using lathes & mills etc at an early age. If a parent allowed an 8 year old to run a 14x60 LeBlonde now, they'd go to jail for child neglect. Anyhow, I started collecting my own tools in the 6th grade.

Originally, I wanted to take machine shop class in high school but, the teacher (Mr. Mellman) and my father said no. I would be wasting my time. I was already journeyman-ready for mold-making and fully employable as a machinist. Instead, I took 4 years of auto mechanics and worked in a local Texaco repair shop after school the whole time. I worked at a dealership full time when I got out of high school and was later accepted into engineering school. Took night classes for years and went into a niche field (at that time).

I still have all my original mechanic tools (and a full machine shop). I've done 90% of my own auto repairs and 100% of all basic maintenance. Built all my own home additions too etc... The tools have paid for themselves many times over. I just wish I had a grand-kid to start teaching before I croak. FWIW, 2 of my grown sons are pretty handy. The 3rd is a lawyer and would poke his eye in no time if you handed him a screwdriver.

Ray

I thought your post very eloquent. It shouldn't be deleted. That they last a lifetime or longer is another reason to buy them and learn to use them and pass them to your heirs.

I agree ^^^^^^

A really good post...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back