Li Ion batteries, yay or nay?

Recently I purchased a used motorcycle that the PO installed one of these batteries.
I've never seen one of these nor have I maintained one. The one thing that really struck me, way how light it is - it literally feels no heavier than my cell phone!

Since the bike is going into storage for the next 4-5 months, I was going to put the battery on a maintainer. My Noco has a Li Ion setting, but I'm still a little uncomfortable with connecting it to the battery as I've heard stories of batteries exploding etc (a bit dramatic yes, but still, I'm a little weary of new tech).
Should I be concerned about using this thing? I almost feel more comfortable with the old-school style of battery.

thanks in advance

Most of these batteries aren't Li-Ion IIRC, but Lithium Iron Phosphate. These types are much safer than LiIon as far as risk of it exploding is concerned. As for the maintainer as long as it does its job correctly it will stop charging the battery when it is done, as there is no real "maintaining" you need to do with a Lithium battery.

Since the bike is going into storage for the next 4-5 months,
Obligatory:
storage_unit_fire.jpg

The best way to store lithium batteries is at a partial charge in a cool environment. They'll degrade twice as quickly at 100% vs 85-90% charge, so I'd drain it a bit by leaving the headlights on for a while, and then disconnect the battery cables.

It should be fine without any charging in the spring, but check to make sure the voltage is at least 13.0 V, otherwise it will have a very large charging current, which could put a lot of strain on your bike's generator.

If you want to charge it and you're unsure about your charger compatibility, monitor the charging voltage with a multimeter. A safe charging voltage for a 4-cell LiFePo battery is 14.6 V or less. Only voltages higher than a motorcyle's typical 14-15 V are going to damage the battery.

Most of these batteries aren't Li-Ion IIRC, but Lithium Iron Phosphate. These types are much safer than LiIon as far as risk of it exploding is concerned. As for the maintainer as long as it does its job correctly it will stop charging the battery when it is done, as there is no real "maintaining" you need to do with a Lithium battery.
LFP is a Li-ion battery. Just a different cathode chemistry.

Electrolyte is the major fire driver and LFP still has it.

Here for the Li fire pictures!

Charge it partially. Disconnect. Don't worry about.

Li batteries don't just combustulate and burn hotter than the sun and go all Chernobyl just sitting there for no reason. That just the hype of scare wieners.

For such small batteries in the rare case of a fire it's the cheapie charger or controller electronics going south. In larger ones, in the really rare case of failure under load, it's some kind of external short or crappie controller that is the cause.

I saw a Mazda micro van thing in full combustialiss infertato, dead, off to the left yesterday. Gas powered.

looks like that? can we get a pic of yours containing the model and brand?

btw this link made me LOL
skyrich Powersport Lithium Ion Batteries

We are innovative and we care about the environment. We say, "No more pollution of our earth!" Our younger generation needs a clean and healthy environment to live and enjoy. Everyone needs clean soil, unpolluted water, and fresh air. We give you our pollution-free batteries.

so if you go out to the motorcycle that is the exact battery(model numbers match etc) or maybe the battery or looks like the battery or what?

They dont list much for specs. but apparently if it dies you can use it as a flower pot.

Back