Let's talk about Rum

53' Stude had a thread about rum going some years back, but it's no longer open to replies, so let's start a new one...

I've been drinking Captain Pepper lately, but I'm curious if there are any rums/spiced rums that you would recommend drinking neat/on the rocks?

I've been flirting with the idea of an 18 or 21 year old bottle of rum. But given that I mostly enjoy mixing it with home made egg nog at Christmas/the occaisional mixer, I couldn't bring myself to do it. As a result, i've settled on the following bottle of El Dorado 12.

Though I've gotta admit, the only rum I've had that ever really knocked my socks off was a bottle of Wray and Nephew.
When mixed in a Mojito or in a frozen pineapple drink, it'll kick you brain into the next galaxy (I do not suggest sipping or drinking on it's own).
o_O

Reactions: wlk
Here's Grandpa's old rum liqueur bottle. He was rather fond of it. Probably it reminded him of his time in Cuba. Strictly speaking not rum but rum liqueur, it was quite good anyway. I can't tell you how old this bottle actually is. I've been trying to match the logo to the historical ones but didn't find a 100% match. Dad and I finished the bottle after Grandpa was gone.

Last edited:
I drank rum years ago(1970s) but I can't say that I have tasted any in the past 40+ years. For me, because I didn't know any better, it would most likely be Bacardi or Bacardi151 'cause that's all I knew.

I like when my Mom, Sis, Wife, MIL SIL's used rum in backing cookies/pastries/cake around the holidays. Or in sweet rum drinks sitting around the fireplace.

53' Stude had a thread about rum going some years back, but it's no longer open to replies, so let's start a new one...

I've been drinking Captain Pepper lately, but I'm curious if there are any rums/spiced rums that you would recommend drinking neat/on the rocks?
Cachaca sugar cane rum. Totally different and worth a try. It strictly comes from Brazil

I like the Santa Teresa when I make rum and coke(pepsi) and if drinking it straight I like the Tahitian Rum that I bought when I was there. The TR is really smooth and has a hint of vanilla flavor to it, probably because there is a vanilla bean in the bottle.

Attachments

• rumsolera.jpg
    rumsolera.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 4
  • rumtahitian.jpg
    rumtahitian.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 6
I drank rum years ago(1970s) but I can't say that I have tasted any in the past 40+ years. For me, because I didn't know any better, it would most likely be Bacardi or Bacardi151 'cause that's all I knew.

I like when my Mom, Sis, Wife, MIL SIL's used rum in backing cookies/pastries/cake around the holidays. Or in sweet rum drinks sitting around the fireplace.
For any former or current Bacardi drinkers I would recommend that you watch a movie called "2Hearts". It can be found on Netflix. It might seem a little corny at times but stick with it and watch right through to the very end.

Anyone tried Gosling's Black Seal Rum or Kraken? Are these decent sippers?
I had Kraken and that’s good it’s decent as a sipper but I like it better w/coke or Pepsi. Good summer drink but my go to is always Scotch I try anything once or twice what is really good is a gin and tonic for summer but that’s getting off topic

I gave up alcohol a year ago for health reasons, but I got to know my preferred spirits in a very in depth way. I never cared much for conventional rum. My favorite version of sugarcane spirit was rhum agricole. Think of it as sugarcane brandy. It's made from fermented sugarcane juice rather than molasses. It's very different. I recommend that any rum fan at least give it a try. I preferred the variety that was not barrel aged, neat, at high proof (90+). Toward the end of my spirits journey I discovered a related spirit from Haiti called clairin. It's a version of agricole made by small producers from wild sugarcane in Haiti. ("Haitian moonshine," so to speak) My favorite agricoles were Rhum JM (Martinique), Dillon (Martinique), and St. George (Alameda, CA).

Not a big rum sipper or rum and coke fan but use the clear for mojito's. Usually get Calico Jack, inexpensive but very decent

For an inexpensive $30 sipping rum, Kaniche XO. It tastes like rum should, is absolutely not bitter like so many others at this price point, unflavored, and not too sweet. Perfect straight up.

For a mild flavor of vanilla, $45, Papa's Pilar dark. Wonderful straight up.

For an expensive slightly smokey sipping rum $500+, El Dorado 25 year grand special reserve. I don't think there is anything better on the planet. Utter smooth perfection.

I am not much of a drinker, so when I enjoy a splash of alcohol, I want it to be something I can truly appreciate. Not harsh, not ugly, just smooth and pleasant.

Back