Leaving AutoRX in longer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would happen if i left the arx treatment longer than 1500miles?

or...What if the oil appears to be clean at 1500mi and i just change the oil filter without draining?

Im asking this because i do a lot of driving... 500-600 miles a week and since arx takes time to work i figured it may be ok to leave it in longer.

I left mine in a car with 40,xxx miles on it for 4,000 miles in M1 5W-30 because I took some trips and didn't get around to changing the oil between trips. There were no noticable adverse effects.

Don't take what I got away with as a recommendation, statiscical samples of one are notoriously poor. If you can, stick to the instructions.

Just started the ARx + Havoline dino this week on my 1990 Acura Integra with 155k...
I already put little under 500 miles on it this week, no noticeable difference
confused.gif
. Oil still appears to be fresh...

Hmmm....?

quote:

Originally posted by kevz:
Just started the ARx + Havoline dino this week on my 1990 Acura Integra with 155k...
I already put little under 500 miles on it this week, no noticeable difference
confused.gif
. Oil still appears to be fresh...

Hmmm....?

Well, no one else is saying it, so I will.

Be patient and follow the directions.

Tim

We can't follow the car makers "directions", we can't follow the oil companies "directions", what makes you think we can follow the directions on a bottle?

quote:

We can't follow the car makers "directions", we can't follow the oil companies "directions", what makes you think we can follow the directions on a bottle?

American law: Only when all else fails, read the instructions.
grin.gif

well...i have been reading around this forum for a while and heard many good things about ARx.

Im just starting to think, maybe my engine doesn't need it?
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by kevz:
well...i have been reading around this forum for a while and heard many good things about ARx.

Im just starting to think, maybe my engine doesn't need it?
dunno.gif

I didn't really notice anything until i changed the fluid tonight. The oil was the same color it always was, but the oil on the bottom was pretty nasty. Give it time

Kevz, the orginal ARX drain interval was shorter, then increased to 1,500 miles as a universal application. I think this was to balance off the people that used synthetic for the initial treatment (be sure to use non-synthetic for the rinse).

I would stick with that interval but I don't think going 2,000 wouldn't hurt.

And remember, it's after the 1,500 treatment, the "rinse phase", that gets all the stuff out.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Tim:

Tim

Sometimes life interferes with blindly following orders. It's always good to know the consequences or lack of consequences of not following orders.

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:

quote:

Originally posted by Tim:

Tim

Sometimes life interferes with blindly following orders. It's always good to know the consequences or lack of consequences of not following orders.

How's this:

Be patient and follow the directions, or you may waste hard-earned money.

tongue.gif

Tim

I don't believe the ARX should be in longer than necessary due to the fact the cleaning esters will reduce the percentage of lube oil present. More is less. This is the same reason someone should not use a greater ratio of it either...overall lubricity is possibly reduced. It cleans out turbos and even if you seem to have clean internals, it totally frees the rings. I got really no sludge in my filters, but the cars I used it in run 100% better. All are non-turbo.

I was thinking that it takes an average driver 2-3 months to put 1500 miles.
For me it will only take about 3 weeks...mostly highway mileage (90-95%)

I was thinking of popping the valve cover off to take pictures this weekend...by that time i will be more than half way past the cleaning cycle.

I had the oilpan and valve cover off before and it appeared to be fairly clean considerng the age of the car (90 integra). No dark nasty sludge...some varnish.

So far the car seems to run a bit smoother all the way to redline...but that might just be in my head. Mileage has gone down but i have been redlining it more than usual

I've run pretty long intervals of RX in 2 of my vehicles(4500mi interval in my saturn, 3500mi interval in my golf TDI), and I had great results with both. Both of those were with synthetic oils and had at least 1 filter change during the cleaning. I don't suggest going too long unless you know the cleanliness of the engine before hand. You'll also want to keep an eye on the filter(s) and change them frequently during the cleaning and rinse.

The 4500mi interval was the 4th treatment on that saturn, just trying to get a little more off of those poorly designed piston rings.(185k mile 94 Saturn SL1)

The interval on the TDI was the first, and only. Oil consumption was decreased, mileage was increased, and overall engine cleanliness improved. The turbo also appears to spool a bit more willingly now.(57k mile 01 Golf TDI)

-Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back