Leaking Sunroof, More Ford Woes

I've siliconed a couple shut. Jeep Grand cherokees around 2010-2012 were in a class action lawsuit for their sunroofs.

Never open the sunroof on my Regal, only once when we bought the car, stays closed.

Well my son's 2020 Ford Explorer seems determined to self-delete. The engine had a major overhaul three months ago to replace bad cam phasers. Now it wants to drown itself. After heavy rains last month it flooded. 1.5" water on front and back floor. I cleaned out the front drains with stiff string trimmer and both sides were patent. Next time it rained hard the same thing happened.

Ford dealer inspected the sunroof today and it seems the seal at the rear of the glass panel has detached and 'fallen down' according to the service advisor. Of course his extended warranty won't cover 'trim' repairs and they want almost $2500 to replace the entire glass assembly with seal. Apparently the seal is a part of the glass and cannot be secured separately. I haven't looked at it yet but it seems to me extreme not to be able to fix this w/o such an involved repair.

Sunroofs are the most infrequently used feature of a car and I would not buy another car with one. The fix this time might just be a big hunk of Gorilla Tape and park the car in the garage.

Click 'n Clack used to call this 'bogus'. I do too.

View attachment 153654

courtesy Diehl Auto
I would think a reputable body shop will have it fixed in an hour or two. That's what I would try next.

I’ve heard the 2020’s have horrible build quality. Does anyone know if that carried over to the 2021’s and newer?

I usually buy the aluminum hvac duct sealing tape. Lately, there’s a new variant that looks like a Mylar-filmed plastic. It’s got great adhesive. One pass of that around the perimeter and it won’t leak.

my Lexus has a nasty sunroof rattle which has plagued many toyota and Lexus models. The fix is to apply shin-etsu grease on the channel gasket around the whole glass piece, about once a year it seems. Idk why they can’t get that right. It sounds like loose strut towers when it gets going.

I have never had a problem with a sunroof. Our Jeep has one and the Corvette has the removable clear targa top. I like to see the sun showing through a tinted sunroof. If I had to spend $2000 to repair a leaky sunroof I would do the silicone trick and forget about such an expensive repair. I guess I must be one of the lucky ones with sunroofs.

Wife has a 2017 Explorer with a sunroof. It gets used as much as you can in NJ. It leaked because the drains got plugged with debris after a year or two. I cleaned them out carefully and it worked for a while and had to be cleaned again. Also it appears that water was coming in through the mounting holes of the fake factory roof rails. There was a recall done on them, not for the leaking. Knock on wood, there hasn't been any leaks recently. But I will clean the drains out to hopefully prevent the leaks. She had a 2005 Explorer with a sunroof, which I still drive, that she never had any problems with leaking. That sunroof was last opened in October of 2016, I dislike sunroofs and haven't opened it since I started driving it.

The only time the moonroof on the LS is ever opened is to vent hot air before entering. If you hold the unlock button down or insert the key into the door, turn to unlock and hold it there, all the windows and roof panel will open until the key/button is released.

When the Lumina was in Texas, my wife would always open the roof panel....and run the AC. Kind of like a co-worker and his Boxter - top down and AC full blast.

I’ve also had quite a few with sunroofs, none leaked but I don’t like them and will avoid if at all possible. VW moonroofs are especially problematic as are many of the larger ones.

The particular Ford in question is just a turd. It happens, I’ve had one or two myself. 😟

Ladies and gentlemen and those who are not, on with the story and on with the plot. I won't add any commentary about this.

The Explorer is finally back home after an absence of about three weeks. The first time to the shop for the cam phasers was about the same period. So the vehicle spent a month and a half in the shop during the last six or seven months. The repair was ~$2700 total. My son paid 40% of that. To Ford's credit they honored their promise to share the cost.

Here is the work order;

1689731592518.jpeg

Well my son's 2020 Ford Explorer seems determined to self-delete. The engine had a major overhaul three months ago to replace bad cam phasers. Now it wants to drown itself. After heavy rains last month it flooded. 1.5" water on front and back floor. I cleaned out the front drains with stiff string trimmer and both sides were patent. Next time it rained hard the same thing happened.

Ford dealer inspected the sunroof today and it seems the seal at the rear of the glass panel has detached and 'fallen down' according to the service advisor. Of course his extended warranty won't cover 'trim' repairs and they want almost $2500 to replace the entire glass assembly with seal. Apparently the seal is a part of the glass and cannot be secured separately. I haven't looked at it yet but it seems to me extreme not to be able to fix this w/o such an involved repair.

Sunroofs are the most infrequently used feature of a car and I would not buy another car with one. The fix this time might just be a big hunk of Gorilla Tape and park the car in the garage.

Click 'n Clack used to call this 'bogus'. I do too.

View attachment 153654

courtesy Diehl Auto
How about permanently caulking it closed?

Back