Lawn mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lawn mower specific oil is usually over priced basic conventional. For lawnmowers specifying a 30 grade such as 10w30, 5w30 or SAE 30 I would recommend a synthetic passenger car oil in the 10w30 grade.

My favorite is Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W30 which is a little thicker than most 10w30 and also has a boosted additive package. The regular Mobil 1 10w30 is also a good choice as well as any of the 10w30 synthetics from the major players including Pennzoil, Valvoline or Castrol

Yes, Super 5000 is designed to protect emission systems and enhance fuel economy; lawn mower oil is usually rated SL or prior, most likely having higher levels of zinc.

If there is a Farm and Fleet in your area; 10w-30 Mystik JT8 synthetic blend runs well in hot aircooled engines. The autoparts carry it too I would think. Pretty reasonable in price also.

I have been a B+S authorized dealer/repair shop for nearly 40 years, and have never used or recommended the Briggs oil, as I simply found it to be overpriced. For the last many many years I have used Super tech 30 virtually exclusively. Except those engines that would be used in below freezing temps. Now If I can get a good sale on a full synthetic 5 or 10 30 I will use it also. ANY brand.

Originally Posted By: Gillsy
pressure washer
snowblower
zero turn
generator
Rotella T5 10w30

I have to put 0w30 in anything I use in the winter up here. seen -53 and snowing like a [censored]. snowblowed at -45 a few times. 5w30 anything summer usage. usually whats left over from the car.

My craftsman lawnmower runs on Mobil 1 0w20......since that is the only oil I have had in my garage for the last 18 years. Works great and just think how good it would be if I ever had to mow in the winter!

I save the left over Red Line 0w-30 from my auto oil changes and use it in my commercial Honda mower that's now 16 years old and still going.

A neighbor told me that synthetic multi-grade oil would cause my mower to leak and possibly seize up but I asked him to lower his voice so my mower would not hear him. I figure that if my mower does not know that I can continue what I'm doing.

Originally Posted By: oilmutt
Lawn mower??????-- I still have 0ver 4 inches of snow on my front lawn!!!.

I have mowed my lawn already what is your point? Weather tends to be different geographically.

Just use whatever oil you have. No need to buy anything special. Just make sure it is at the right level.

The oil level is more important than the brand or type in a small engine.

I use Rotella HDEO because it is easy to get, cheap, and the heavy duty oil tends to burn off a bit slower in my older engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back