How Old Is Your Lawn Mower(s)?? And How Many Hours Approximately?

Honda HRX217 that's 10 months old. It replaced a Honda HRR216 that was about 15 years old. There wasn't anything wrong with the HRR, I just wanted to replace it with another Honda before they stopped manufacturing mowers. Ended up giving it to my nephew and he's using it at his home.

I actually just received the HRX back from a recall repair. Since the first time I started the mower, it'd like to rip your arm off trying to start it. Slowly roll it past the compression stroke and you could give it a good pull. Try and pull through that compression stroke and it'd yank the cord right back. Got a recall notice in the fall that a mis-ground camshaft was the culprit. Took about two weeks at the local Honda shop to get it taken care of. Nice to get it done in the off-season and have it ready to go for the spring.
I bought this mower in 2021, but it remained boxed until 2022. I know that’s a waste but it did go up $170 so losing a year of warranty is ok. It’s the best I’ve ever had and I felt I should get a nice one. My previous one I gave to my buddy. A 2002 Craftsman with the big rear wheels no self propel. It starts first try and I changed the oil only twice in 20 years. The deck had a metal ring rot away so it sprays grass out the front.

I do plan on changing the oil with the Honda. I need to Change it now, but I’ve done it twice already.

Ps on the hours no clue…half an hour to 45 min a week in season…

Just currious about the battery. You mentined the 11-year old original John Deere battery but what is pictured is a replacement battery made by East Penn Manufacturing in July of 2020.
I'm sure it's the original from 11 years ago . Maybe my memory is wrong . :unsure:

I'm sure it's the original from 11 years ago . Maybe my memory is wrong . :unsure:
The original John Deere battery in my D140, same engine as your D130, was only 195 CCA. It lasted four seasons before being replaced by a 230 CCA battery from Walmart. That battery is still getting the job done in its sixth season.

Your photo shows a Lowe's branded 300 CCA battery produced by East Penn Manufacturing in July of 2020. 300 CCA is a little over the top for that application. A lot of people think that more is better when it comes to CCA, but that isn't necessarily the case when constrained by a fixed format such as U1. A higher CCA rating requires more plate surface area. Putting more surface area into a fixed space requires more but thinner plates. Thinner plates wear out faster.

It was 7 years the original battery lasted. Purchased the D130 in 2013 . So , almost 4 years on the 2nd battery .

Last edited:
The 2007 Deere L110 that I use to mow every week has 381 hours and the 1983 Deere 314 that I just keep for fun and to tow lawn carts around has only 271 hours that I know of but it's 40+ years old so I'm not sure. I just brought the older one out of hibernation after a long winter and it started right up.
1715871223991.jpg

1993 vintage Yardmachines push with rear bag. Probably only has about 100 hours on it. I have almost 2 acres - but 95% wooded forest

Changed the spark plug one season , it ran wrong/bad - put original back in, lol.

rant: This change spark plug seasonally thing is nuts for a home mower. Plug should last life of engine, Remember 500 hours is equivalent to about 15K miles. If it's getting ruined you have a carb fuel, heatrange or timing issue.

my rule over 1/2 a century or maintaining - no extended tip sparkers on a flatty.

The 2007 Deere L110 that I use to mow every week has 381 hours and the 1983 Deere 314 that I just keep for fun and to tow lawn carts around has only 271 hours that I know of but it's 40+ years old so I'm not sure. I just brought the older one out of hibernation after a long winter and it started right up.
View attachment 219614
Love the Chevy!

Snapper GT300 22 HP Briggs Professional. Not sure how old bought it used for $700 7 years ago with 250 hours on it. Now sitting at about 450 hours but thinking about a different one. I mow a very steep hill and this one is barely adequate. Need a strong transmission and good hill climbing abilities. Mow about 1 acre with 0.2 acres being hilly. Really considering a zero turn with steering wheel. Bought one from Home Depot Toro but it was residential and burned up the transmission in 2 times mowing. Overheated the transmission and blew a hole in the transmission line,

Here's one I've not finished the Shroud for it yet. Been busy rebuilding the 260
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/1953-8fh12lb-lawn-boy.370450/

1991 John Deere 260 17 HP Kawasaki. Instead of fixing that motor my bro thought it was wise to have someone put a Kohler engine & golf card tires on it. Of course the mowing deck didn't work in that set-up. Bought it from him for a few hundred & have been restoring it ever since.
IMG_20210718_090245.jpg

IMG_20210727_083643 (1).jpg

IMG_20210820_130351 (1).jpg

IMG_20210726_183313 (2).jpg

IMG_20210816_161846.jpg

IMG_20220614_131540.jpg

IMG_20220621_145408 (1).jpg

The mowing deck above is getting rebuilt right now. Almost done with it today. This is all the short version & not trying to muck up the thread. There is 10 hours on the rebuilt Kawasaki mowing my grass. I will be using this mower here & there but my daily is a 2008 Crafstman Pro 24 HP w/182 hours on it.

After a bath & rebuilt/repainted deck.
IMG_20221021_151400 (1).jpg

I've got a Honda 21" with GCV 160 engine. I lost track of the time, but the wife says we've had it for 18 years. It just started smoking a little this year and last time I changed the oil there were the tell tale silver swirls in the oil. It's gotten heavy use over the years, including 3 years of commercial use while we ran a lawn service in 2 states. The deck is still good. I'm trying to decide whether to have the engine rebuilt, or buy a new or used one. I have no interest in buying a new mower. I have no idea of the hours, but there have been plenty. I think I could replace the engine for a couple hundred bucks easily.

I've got a Honda 21" with GCV 160 engine. I lost track of the time, but the wife says we've had it for 18 years. It just started smoking a little this year and last time I changed the oil there were the tell tale silver swirls in the oil. It's gotten heavy use over the years, including 3 years of commercial use while we ran a lawn service in 2 states. The deck is still good. I'm trying to decide whether to have the engine rebuilt, or buy a new or used one. I have no interest in buying a new mower. I have no idea of the hours, but there have been plenty. I think I could replace the engine for a couple hundred bucks easily.
A GCV190 would probably bolt right on too and give a little bump in power. ;)

1999 Toro recycler for push mowing. Unknown hours as I bought it used like 7 years ago when I blew up my 1981....)
My lawn mower is a 2007 cub cadet that came with the house. Currently almost 400 hours but just under 300 when we moved here 3 years ago.
I also have a 1990 craftsman 2 12h/38 with no deck for pulling the yard trailer around.
My dad has a 2003 craftsman dyt4000 he bought new and it has over 1200 hours of hard use.

Back