Last of bygone era

Status
Not open for further replies.
I helped mom get her 2011 Honda CRV because it was the last CRV to have port fuel injection. Given the fuel dilution numbers of many GDI engines, I worried about having one. My reason that that when EFI replaced carbs, engine life increased due to lower fuel dilution rates. If a GDI engine has the same fuel dilution rate as a carb engine, it might mean it has the same lifespan.

What would you consider a reasonable lifespan?
200K+?
Both of our carbureted '86 Civics did this easily and the OP has one of the same generation that went nearly 400K on the factory engine build IIRC.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
200K+?
Both of our carbureted '86 Civics did this easily and the OP has one of the same generation that went nearly 400K on the factory engine build IIRC.

I consider 220,000 miles to be a good lifespan. I was often told that 180,000 miles was about all you could get, but that was combining the experience of GM, Ford, Mitsubishi, Hyundai, Nissan, and Mazda.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
200K+?

IIRC the OP had his Civic's engine rebuilt at 200k due to bad rings. Everything else but the rings was fine--just a ring and gasket job required (probably did bearings "just because"). Still: pretty impressive.

Engine oils are much better today. If dilution is a problem, perhaps starting off a weight up would yield suitable oil over the OCI. Once it cuts down in viscosity, change it. But it's nothing like bad old carb days, not having raw fuel to wash down cylinder walls is probably going to go a long ways to long life. Might just not be able to get super long OCI's, that's all. This being BITOG and all, I'll bet a number here would be perfectly fine changing their oil more often than what the manufacturer indicates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back