Last of bygone era

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

IF I live long enough to need a replacement for this 4Runner will I be faced with accepting a lot of stuff I would not need and maybe not use?

Yes, but that doesn't mean you can't still benefit from it. Modern engines are getting more efficient, more reliable, and requiring less maintenance than ever before.

Technology and automation are not bad things, otherwise, we'd all still be riding horses or driving Model Ts.

Not relevant unless the OP was asking should he keep his model T instead of a newer vehicle with MUCH more mature mechanical tech.

Modern engines are more fuel efficient, and lower weight improves on that too, but that's where the benefit ends.

They're not more reliable and definitely do not require less maintenance than those made in the era the OP referred to. On the contrary the average cost of ownership for someone who normally (or perhaps now that changes to used to does their own repairs, has increased by thousands of dollars over the life of the vehicle
Additional tech applied to mature mechanical designs is making most of the things you own shorter lived, with the hope (and sometimes realization) of enough energy savings to offset that, except that in many cases you have to use that widget a lot to reap the energy savings then it breaks that much sooner.

Washers/dryers/stoves/refrigerators/dishwashers/lawn mowers/cars, just about anything appliance level or higher, bought today that costs a few hundred dollars or more, will have a total ownership cost near 50% higher per year once you include wear out/repurchase or repair costs.

If you dispute this then you have not done research into what the average maintenance and repair costs look like for the *average* vehicles on the road today. Those average costs for a single year newer vehicle, exceed what I've had to pay to maintain my oldest vehicle for not just a year but an entire decade.

Part of that is more DIY repairs are possible, another part is that repair parts are cheaper, and another part is less to break, less complex mechanically and less electronics to fail - electronics still in their infancy design cycles. That is where you get a lot of failures, newer designs that haven't matured over many years. That is why a turn of the century vehicle is so cheap to own, because the tech it does have, has matured and been debugged for a long time.

It's not even in the same ballpark how much more modern vehicles cost to maintain/repair. Unfortunately at some point it becomes difficult to find parts for older vehicles, or if in a region where there is rust, or once the bluebook value drops below a certain point, a vehicle may have to be retired anyway because no matter how much you keep it up, some texting teen can come along and plow into it and total it out - It's seldom wise to invest more in a vehicle than its bluebook value unless it's a classic with extra insurance to cover it.

Even that is changing if you look at vehicle replacement cost including that the more modern vehicle maintenance and repair costs keep going up. You could put a whole new (rebuilt) engine or tranny in a '03 4Runner for (probably) around $2400, and still end up with a lower average yearly cost of ownership compared to a newer vehicle.

Last edited:
I hate new-fangled contraptions.

My 2008 F150 is the last of a great era (except it does have those stupid tire pressure sensors).

It's a very basic design, limited features (less complicated c r a p to break when you need it) and I expect it to go 400,000 miles without serious major issues.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
New stuff also does not have a voracious appetite for fuel yielding way more power with significantly better MPG.

Agreed; my 2er averages 25-26 mpg and runs the quarter mile in just under 13 seconds- fast enough for now.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
I also like` the 2er's ability to switch from cruising(geezer) mode to hard core attack mode with the push of a button.

I find I can accomplish a similar transition with my car by simply trapping my finger in the door.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

IF I live long enough to need a replacement for this 4Runner will I be faced with accepting a lot of stuff I would not need and maybe not use?

No, but for many Volvo owners, that's a resounding YES!

I was perusing the XC90 forums recently hearing of customers complaining how they need to own a smart phone, to be able to use most of the features on their Hybrid SUV's (auto start, etc). To add insult to injury, Volvo is not willing to provide these owners with a smartphone, if they not currently do have one (and many in Volvo's aging demographic obviously don't!).

Chinese company. Its unsurprising if non-ownership of a smartphone isn't something that computes.

Much of the tech you're claiming to be bad is proving itself out.

If you want a vehicle that is truly classic in design for longevity, go buy a w123 240D with manual. It will keep running long after your 4Runner, survive EMP, and not have any of the pesky electrical doodads and controls that your 4Runner has which are guaranteed to fail. After all, your "old school" 4Runner has plenty of control computers, an auto and a 5 speed at that, probably a digital/electronic speedometer/odometer, electric fuel pump, etc.

When your truck was built, people were complaining about all the stuff it has in it, compared to 15 years prior.

When the time comes to buy your next vehicle, the same thing will be the case. All the evil 6-10 speed transmissions and DI engines will have gone long distances and the next boogeyman can be avoided.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

When your truck was built, people were complaining about all the stuff it has in it, compared to 15 years prior.

They were right too.

Not sure where you're getting your cost figures from, but let's test your hypothesis on one of our newer cars:

2012 Accord 4 cyl automatic bought new, 83K to date and will be at 100K by the end of this year.
Total maintenance and repair costs:

10 DIY oil changes, so maybe $200.00, one OEM Dunlop replaced with same at 30K due to unrepairable puncture, maybe $90.00 mounted and balanced and four new Pirellis offered at a deal I couldn't refuse at 56K, around $350.00 mounted and balanced.
I haven't even needed brakes on the car yet but I'll do both ends before the next winter just to make sure that I don't have to in lousy weather.
What about the cost of the car?
In constant dollars, it was actually cheaper than the last Honda we'd bought new, a '99 Accord.
So, the car itself was less costly in real terms and at least so far, it has been blissfully cheap to own and run.
As I alluded to above, your cost of ownership claim is a little questionable.

If you want a vehicle that is truly classic in design for longevity...

I took my '91 Dodge Cummins to the extreme in this respect by re-designing the necessary electrical functions. There were just a few things controlled by a primitive PCM for intake heat, speedo and a couple other circuits, which were easily re-engineered to work without it. It is DOT legal and registered with working lights and turn signals here in CO. But everything necessary for it start and run is now purely mechanical. Technically it does not even need a battery if parked on a hill for bump-starting.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Nope.

Nissan's 2018 Nissan Versa S is a manual transmission, manual door locks, manual windows, a basic radio, no cruise control, and I think the radio only has 2 speakers.

My geo chevy prismrolla beater could have this radio-of-shame:

At my age, it doesn't really seem all that long ago when most cars had a hand crank to open and shut the side windows.

There ain't many cars these days that do not have electric powered windows. You can try to slow it down some, but you can't stop technology. I was a hold out on owning a smart phone until I had to give up my flip phone last year. Can't imagine going back to one now.

Originally Posted By: UberArchetype
If you want a vehicle that is truly classic in design for longevity...

I took my '91 Dodge Cummins to the extreme in this respect by re-designing the necessary electrical functions. There were just a few things controlled by a primitive PCM for intake heat, speedo and a couple other circuits, which were easily re-engineered to work without it. It is DOT legal and registered with working lights and turn signals here in CO. But everything necessary for it start and run is now purely mechanical. Technically it does not even need a battery if parked on a hill for bump-starting.

Good for you! Wish me luck; I'm trying to retrofit a hand crank starter to the ti!

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Okay, so what do you or I own that doesn't have a plastic interior?

Wonder if he means hard plastic.

I get it, hard plastic doesn't look as good. But there's lots of places where my hands don't wander in a car, and those spots don't need soft touch plastics, let alone leather.

Me, I've been tickled with my economy Camry. An interior color that isn't black or gray. Ok it's still an ugly color, but not as dreary as all the econoboxes I test drove a few years ago.

You don't have a wood trim interior? Not sure what use it is though, it just came with the car. It can be seriously distracting if you have a lot of options though, I stop myself from playing with the display too much. I do that sometimes at a light or in traffic. There's basically the trip computer, navigation, audio, system menu and a few other displays i can't think of that you can cycle through on the speedometer. I like them all, reliability seems to be better on average on later model cars.

Is my 03 4Runner the last of the old-fashioned vehicles.

My '17 HR-V LX is pretty old fashioned for a newer car. 6 speed manual, port injection SOHC engine from the mid-2000s, manual hvac controls. I bought it because it's so basic and hopefully it'll be super reliable for 10 years.

Last edited:
naw...you're good...you could go out and get an 18' 4r and still not have any of those accolades you mention. you want old school and tried and true parts there you go. I think maybe Toyota will come out with an all new 4r but that's been talked about for years. one thing is for certain it will be ***** for sure.

yes it has tpms and nav/back up camera, but that is all mandated by the govt (camera/tpms) and I would bet Toyota would leave it out if they could. the nav is like 2008 version, virtually worthless.

Last edited:
The current Nissan Frontier basically came out in 2005. Which means it was developed when like 2002-2003? Its pretty old school. It has a built in GPS/headunit, but that can be swapped out super easy since its not integrated with anything else. I do think it has some form of VVT. Other than that its super standard. The only thing I wish it had was a stick for shifting the transfer case like my Jeep. It has a knob, but hopefully no issues there.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

You don't have a wood trim interior? Not sure what use it is though, it just came with the car. It can be seriously distracting if you have a lot of options though, I stop myself from playing with the display too much. I do that sometimes at a light or in traffic. There's basically the trip computer, navigation, audio, system menu and a few other displays i can't think of that you can cycle through on the speedometer. I like them all, reliability seems to be better on average on later model cars.

Yeah, the old Mercedes cars that we've had always did have a little wood trim and with a Benz you at least knew that it was actually wood and not plastic. Still, the interiors were mostly plastic as is the case with your car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back