Last call on on Filter Efficiency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today is the last day of my search for the "show me the data" to back up the Oil Filter promos on Efficiency Data. For me, "show me the data", is Beta Ratio results following SAE, ISO, and other national and international automotive standards bodies.

I promised to publish at the end of last month, yesterday. To be honest my day-job recently started sucking ~70 hours a week, cutting into my recreating time. In addition, some issues with "proprietary data" has resulted my changing the approach to parallel that of Consumer's Reports, which will get the results out, but unfortunately not the raw data, which was the original concept. This change has caused more grinding away in an attempt to fairly show the results. I will put the data up, hopefully in about a week.

(Edward Tufte has written 3 books on aspects of data representation, good reading. Following Tufte's thesis, I am intentionally biasing based on a known standard, which can be independently reviewed and individual judgment of legitimacy made. This bias is based on the relevant SAE papers relating filtration efficiency and engine wear.

I know that there are those who have an issue with repeatable, internationally recognized standards. They can do their own studies, and post them.

To wrap up, I have sent re-re-re-requests to all the companies' "customer reps" and "technical reps". If you wish to get a quick view of who has been responsive, google your favorite company's oil filter brand name combined with either "beta" or "efficiency." I have sadly noted that likelihood to provide at least 2 points of data is inversely related to your "google hit score."

Really looking forward to these results. Nice to see standardized test dats being used... refreshing change from the speculative data we often see here.

Quote:

Really looking forward to these results. Nice to see standardized test data being used... refreshing change from the speculative data we often see here.

Predictions:
1) it will make people angry/defensive
2) it will bring out "my UOA" and/or "cut apart filter" is superior to yours posts.
3) I have proven that I am only using a "very good" oil filter, and need to ponder if "excellent" is worth more than 2x the price.

P.S.
I have dug out 3 juried papers that used multi-million mile fleet tests and demonstrate that UOA is NOT a predictor of filter quality. I will wait a few months before I put that discussion on-line. ... I need a rest.

Publish fair and square. I'll not make a ruckus unless you jury rig or dry lab it. You never told me what Amsoil did or didn't provide you, so I'm clueless other than they don't like to publish all the numbers. Maybe they are saving up for their own white paper.

I have Tufte's books and have been to his seminars. Not overly impressed - but it is a fact that you can pack more on paper than you can a computer screen. His whole groupie following is odd.

Thread? I see Schultz's profile ..twice. Linky-brainflatulence?
laugh.gif

Now it does
laugh.gif
I found it anyway. That was awhile ago. I recall the mega debate over filtering VII out.

UOA is not a predictor for filter quality? maybe its because noone remembers to check of the particle count option. Did those 3 juried multigazillion dollar studies include particle counts and methods measuring those PC's? If not, then they can't even be included here for any reference.

Particle counts, along with bench testing comparisons(like grease is the words oilfilterstudy), mean more to me then any MFG'er stated data. Trusting their data is having too much faith in them.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
UOA is not a predictor for filter quality? maybe its because noone remembers to check of the particle count option. Did those 3 juried multigazillion dollar studies include particle counts and methods measuring those PC's? If not, then they can't even be included here for any reference.

Particle counts, along with bench testing comparisons(like grease is the words oilfilterstudy), mean more to me then any MFG'er stated data. Trusting their data is having too much faith in them.
One: it was million MILE, not dollar. two: they provide all the data, methodologies, and even the ANOVAs. But that is another debate. Maybe next spring I will bring those studies out. In the interim, if you really know what you are talking about, you will find them via Google. If you cannot find them via Google, then....

Uh, am I missing something here? Where's the BEEF?! Cmon I need crisis in my life! The info already the info!
Have a nice day
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back