Intake valve carbon cleaning methods video

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
I like shopdap - Paul (owner) puts out good content IMHO for the VW/Audis. Here's one that they just put out on carbon build up which is relevent to anyone with a GDI engine looking at cleaning carbon. Tested a few different methods which I though was neat. In the end, you can't beat media blast I think as it's the standard way to do it (and the way mine was done when I had this service performed last year).

(video link removed - MOD)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've found that lye oven cleaner will eat carbon way faster than any solvent or oil based cleaner. b12 chemtool was 2nd place but nowhere near oven cleaner. sea foam and atf didn't do much. this was tested on diesel injector nozzles that were carboned up. oven cleaner still took a few hours to clean the nozzle, b12 took a day or two. media blasting takes a few minutes once you have the car apart, and I wouldn't spray oven cleaner in my intake.

I like shopdap - Paul (owner) puts out good content IMHO for the VW/Audis. Here's one that they just put out on carbon build up which is relevent to anyone with a GDI engine looking at cleaning carbon. Tested a few different methods which I though was neat. In the end, you can't beat media blast I think as it's the standard way to do it (and the way mine was done when I had this service performed last year).
I was just looking at the media blast kit on FCP the other day. Hopefully as he stated the newer 2.0t's aren't as bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just looking at the media blast kit on FCP the other day. Hopefully as he stated the newer 2.0t's aren't as bad.
They aren't. Mine looked pretty good at 70 whatever thousand miles. I've posted pics here you can probably find searching.

I have used CRC Intake Valve and Turbo cleaner 4 times on my '18XT with 35.7K miles and my '22 Forester 3 times in 22K miles. Thats a bit over $100. I think its worth it. But I will probably never know. I will be getting rid of the'22 in two years. The '18 will be around for the long haul.

Good video and I agree. The cleaners, I think are nothing more than preventive maintenance...with the preventive part being not as good as we‘re lead to believe by the marketing of these companies. I’ve don’t my own “testing” of these products directly on carbon buildup and it did almost nothing to carbon.

Truth is, removing carbon is work; it’s scraping, blasting, drying, cleaning, messy, time consuming work. It’s not fun.

Back