Laser printer, fax, copier recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
Looking at this on Amazon:

Brother Laser

It has duplex. The lady likes to print in volume.

We bought this model a few weeks ago. Very satisfied with it.

Great! I was reading online manual. I liked what I saw compared to the Canon.

Originally Posted By: Dave9
I've been quite happy with a Brother MFC-8890DW, but I don't think they make that any longer, though there are probably still lots of brand new units for sale here and there.

For low volume printing I'd replace it with something like a Brother MFCL2740DW (or MFCL27**** replacing asterisks with numbers and letters for the features vs price you need), or for higher volume printing, Brother MFC-L5700DW or -L5800DW -L5900DW etc.

I have had my MFC-8890DW since 2012 and it has been fantastic! Prints great, copies very good, scans excellent and faxes with a landline. It hooked right up to my router and works with Windows 7,8.1,10 and even my phone with Bother app. You are right, Brother unfortunately no longer make this model. If I ever need another printer it will be an MFC from Brother. I used a cheap Brother 2070DW (?) print only, at about a ream of paper a week for 3 years with no problems the toner and drums were easy to change and really last. I am happy with Brother printers.

I'm happy with my HP Laser.
Aftermarket toner keeps it churning right along. ZERO problems ever.
Might want to check Xerox. They do have a decent home line, not outrageous on price either from their webstore.
Looks like if you buy their toner, factory service for life is included.

The nice thing with a laser printer is that the toner doesn't dry out. So if you don't use it for a few months, it will still work fine. Ink tends to dry up.

For home use I like the Brother lasers.

Whatever you buy, find out what toner it takes and look up the price of aftermarket toner before you buy it.

My brother toner is like 9 dollars and that lasts me a year. Printer is 7 years old at this point, it has only had one 8 dollar drum, and cartridges. Both are user replacable.

Set-up the Brother All-In-One yesterday. Very quiet and prints well. Still getting used to it. Adobe remembered the old printer when trying to print a PDF file even though I changed Brother to the default printer. That was easy to correct. Already priced replacement toners on Amazon. Thanks for the recommendations!

We have had this Dell E525W Wireless Color Printer with Scanner Copier & Fax for about 2 months now. It does not have duplex printing (some listings out there say that it does) so if that is important you may be disappointed. I purchased this to replace a color inkjet that hadn't been used enough after it locked out printing because one cartridge was empty and then the rest dried up. We purchased just a monochrome printer after that to get us by until we found a good deal on an all purpose laser printer. Then along came this model which met all of our needs plus more. We currently have it networked so that we can print from any machine in the house. Setup for that was very easy and I had no driver or software issues. Scans and Copying have worked great as well. We are not a heavy printer user but do make copies and prints 2-4 times a week and it is more than fast enough for what we do. The paper tray is a little small, I think it only fits 150 sheets, but again for us that isn't a killer since we don't print large volumes. I also did some research on replacement toner cartridges for this model and they were extremely affordable and were much less than it would have cost for us to replace the inkjet cartridges in our HP all in one. Very happy with this printer!!

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
Looking for something for Windows 7 computer. With cheap replacement toner. Rarely use fax. Mostly for making copies or printing (black and white). Thanks!

Brother or Samsung Had great luck with these and lost cost of toner/ink and you can usually buy other brands of replacement cartridges/toner no problem.

Sorry if it's been mentioned, but aren't there consumables other than toner, associated with laser printers? Drums perhaps? Aren't those expensive?

I too would like to get away from ink jets. I've had more makes/models than I could possibly count or recall over the years. I currently use a HP Officejet 6600. With my kids school work, it seems like I never stop replacing ink cartridges and the stupid thing won't allow printing if one of the colors runs low. I usually mail order aftermarket or sometimes OEM. Always inconsistent results. Sick of it.

Last edited:
Many/most laser printers, at least the black & white printers, have the drum located in the toner cartridge. When you replace the toner cartridge, you replace the drum. Color lasers are a bit more iffy. My cheap Dell doesn't have a replaceable drum. Drum dies, printer is then a throwaway.

Also, color lasers are not photo printers. You can try, but it ain't pretty.

The brother models recommended all have a separate(replaceable) drum but the cost is only $10-$20 and usually last over 10000 pages.

Aftermarket toner for brother printers runs $5-$14

Last 2 times I purchased I got 2 packs for under $15

Just checked my dcp-7065dn
it has 1600 pages printed and 88% drum life remaining.
(I have a few brother lasers in service)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back