Lack of Money or Lack of Priorities

Originally Posted by Boomer
I remember when I was still working. We would get bonuses some years and they were paid out around March. Some years they were substantial, amounting to about 15% of your annual pay. Mine always went right on the mortgage and I paid off a 30 year mortgage in 9 years. What always amazed me was that within a week, the number of new Benzs, BMWs, Caddies and other pricey cars in the parking lots shot way up. Nothing like "investing" in a depreciating asset. A few years later, some of these people were retiring and complaining that they : 1) didn't have the savings they wanted to have, 2) still had a mortgage payment that would go on for years in retirement, and 3) they did not know how they were going to make it in the long term.

The desire for instant pleasure is strong and many people cannot fight it. They will not see the advantage of saving for something that is 10, 20 or 30 years in the future. Somehow, there seems to be the idea that the Money Fairy is going to come along and sprinkle magic dust on them!

I find it interesting to read that the number one reason that people don't save for retirement is that the amount of money they are told they will need is so large that "why even bother!"

Many of those figures are ridiculous. The calculations say I'll need $4M to $5M to retire and maintain my lifestyle. There is a lot I can cut out if it stands in the way of retirement and the math they use has many incorrect assumptions. Just SS should keep you afloat. More than that is good and you can get a part time job for pin money if it's not enough. Might need to get a job on a golf course to support my golf habit or work another year. LOL.

I imagine we can all point the finger at other's spending habits.
I found I am better off pointing the finger at myself.

Maybe that homeless gal is some kinda bazillionaire?

OP hasty judgments of others is a typical example of character flaw you wouldn't want to develop close relationship with.

Originally Posted by madRiver
If you are not a mechanic for them why offer any advice they likely did not ask for?

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Why don't people mind their own business?

"Like"

Different priorities. Nothing wrong with it either. As long as they perform the maintenance on time, the vast majority will be fine with that conventional oil change and ATF every 100k.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
coffee2.gif

For the OP's case about cars, you would be right. Nothing gained in worrying about something so trivial. But there seems to be a sad number of people whose consequences wind up as a tax on others. Either on public assistance or teaching their kids to be the same way, or just being a nuisance to listen to when they engage in some sort of blame shifting.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
It's like the homeless woman I saw covered in tattoos and carrying a pack of smokes. She can afford tattoos and smokes....

I am under the impression that many homeless people are that way due to mental illness. Plus how do you know she was buying tattoos while homeless--could she not have bought those during better times?

I forgot to mention the freshly dyed blue hair.

Probably because the decisions of others tend to cost those who don't make such decisions.

If some were not seeking to reach into my pocket to address the consequences caused by shortsighted behavior, I believe some (not all) would be happy to live and let live.

But there is a certain segment of society who believe that it is our duty to shield these poor unfortunate souls from the consequences of their choices, and that we should be happy to help them, but only as THEY say we should.

I'm happy for minding my own business. When will others get out of my business and allow me to do just that?

coffee2.gif

I do not get concerned how someone spends their money, that's their business, you are not going to change their ways.. I also will not listen or have any sympathy to someone who is broke and squandered their money.
Not buying synthetic oil in favor of conventional has nothing to do with someone's economic habits, that's a good one. Next, you will not like the brand of beans they buy.

I live in a great neighborhood, but unfortunately the house on the corner of my street is Sec. 8 housing, inhabited by a welfare queen and her brood of teen children. Hoochi-MaMa can afford elaborate hair extensions, fake nails, tats, and is 50 lbs overweight, but gets a nice free home to live in. The kids run wild and I swear the whole bunch of them live on delivery pizza and beer. Oh BTW, they literally crank up their A/C and leave the door in the garage open to cool the open garage in the 100 degree TX heat everyday. I guess if is "free" who cares, right?

I live in a great neighborhood, but unfortunately the house on the corner of my street is Sec. 8 housing, inhabited by a welfare queen and her brood of teen children. Hoochi-MaMa can afford elaborate hair extensions, fake nails, tats, and is 50 lbs overweight, but gets a nice free home to live in. The kids run wild and I swear the whole bunch of them live on delivery pizza and beer. Oh BTW, they literally crank up their A/C and leave the door in the garage open to cool the open garage in the 100 degree TX heat everyday. I guess if is "free" who cares, right?

Generations of fatherless homes.

Generations of fatherless homes.

I was shot down in a recent thread for suggesting that high schoolers should have a class that teaches basic life skills: finances, laundry, cooking, car care, etc.. No suggestions were given to implement their idea that these things should be taught at home, not in our public schools.

Last edited:
I was shot down in a recent thread for suggesting that high schoolers should have a class that teaches basic life skills: finances, laundry, cooking, car care, etc.. No suggestions were given to implement their idea that these things should be taught at home, not in our public schools.

You were a victim of cancel culture. Believe what I do or you don't get the opportunity to be heard.

C'mon, it's common knowledge that teaching them how to take Algebra and Trigonometry tests is of far more benefit to their daily lives. Why teach them how to handle the nuts and bolts of daily life when they can just let all that slide and live in filth and squalor, while tapping on that $1,400 IPhone?

I have used Calculus exactly 1 time in my career, and that was more of an experiment or proof of concept.

Personally, I believe no one should get outta 8th grade without an understanding of bank accounts, interest, credit, etc.
No one should get outta high school without an understanding of personal finance, time value of money, etc.
I wish I had known more, that's for dang sure.

I doubt I would have listened in high school to someone drone on about credit card debt etc. Not positive that I learned how to balance a checkbook, maybe I did, like in the 4th grade--way too long ago for me to remember.

But trig and algebra almost got me ready for calc in college. I might not use that math much today but I still got my engineering degree all the same.

7th Grade government class, Mr. Fagan. We were all given the same sheet of information, the IRS instruction book, and a blank 1040 as homework.

I got one of the better grades, a B+, I think.

Mr. Fagan let me know, in no uncertain terms, that the IRS was not going to accept B+ accuracy on my tax return.

A small, but critically important, lesson...

Back