Internet TV, could you ditch your cable or dish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://thinkcheaply.blogspot.com

Think about what your cable bill costs you on a monthly basis.

It is pretty easy to rack up a bill over $100 per month.

Think about how many [censored] channels are out there that you are paying for, but never watching.

Personally, I could go mostly without television, but not fully.

I tried this experiment when I first moved into my apartment. I didn't subscribe to cable, but instead just put up an antenna out the window, and was receiving mind blowing HDTV quality.

I could watch all the network television that I wanted, all the PBS, and that was fine and dandy.

After a while, this grew a bit tiresome, and I turned my gaze to my cable modem.

Could you get by with Internet television, in combination with your free over the air signal?

I'm going to try it.

Here are some links to some great free television available on the Internet.

1.) Fancast.com

This could be one of the greatest new sites to hit the web for Internet television. First of all, its ran by Comcast, and its not all screwed up. I'm shocked. The premise is that is asks you what you want to watch, then it shows you where you can watch it. It will also show you listings for your local cable of satellite provider. There are a ton of full episodes of your favorite shows. I just finished watching an episode of NBC's Las Vegas. It came right up over my slow 3 megabit dsl connection, and played great.

2.) Beelinetv.com

Here is another one for those who would like to watch a bit of international television. The quality is much lower than Fancast, but watching something in your home language would be interesting. Not my cup of tea, but worth stumbling upon.

3.) Joost.com

This service is one of my favorites. It does require registration, and the download of a player, but I'm very satisfied with the service. The video quality is excellent, and there is a ton of shows on there. I watched a few PBS documentaries on Joost, and will keep using the service.

4.) Quicksilverscreen.com

This is another service that scours the net looking for divx movies, then it streams directly to your PC. There is a huge selection of movies, videos, and tv shows.

Now I'll have to rig a computer to watch all this content on my bigscreen, and I'll be all set.

Later..

I just looked at fancast.com.

The quality is OK if you just want to kill time on your PC, but if you're looking for high quality video with dolby digital audio, you're not going to find it there. Even if they offered it, you'd need quite a high speed connection to stream it without issues. I enjoy watching movies cinema-style. I don't enjoy doing it on my PC.

Give and take, sacrifice a cable bill for less than Dolby eleventy quality sound. I think that a cable bill is a lot of movie rentals. Since moving to japan, the TV is only used for movies. I am not hooked up to cable here. Every year the cable man comes by and asks me if I use it, and I say no.

My Pentium III can't handle it. I have basic cable at $12/month which includes the History channel and a "G0D Channel" for my wife.

Last edited:
One can get all the quirky foreign channels they want with free to air digital satellite TV.

OP has my set up, high speed cable internet, free tv. Cable occasionally bugs me to try tv too. Their marketing materials assume I have directv which is pretty funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back