KYB vs OEM struts

Status
Not open for further replies.
VillageToyota of FL has the OEM struts for $127+S&H

Anyone buy from them before else should I go and pay the $198 with my local dealership

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy

Anyone buy from them before else should I go and pay the $198 with my local dealership

I've ordered from online dealers before, but not that particular dealer. Quirk Parts is also worth a look, if their price is competitive.

But with a $70 difference, I'd order from Village
smile.gif

If your local dealer will match the online prices, some will.. I've done that before with Toyota dealers. When I was ordering up the oem shocks for my scion tC, one of the online Toyota dealers sent them all beat up in the boxes. They did apologize and paid the return shipping. I'm picky, then talked to a local Toyota dealer. I was able to inspect them before I bought.

Why not ask your local dealers if they'd match prices? They will want to see the website or a print out of the site.. of course.

None would survive if they went abt matching others prices, they are better off not ordering from the warehouse that loose a profit.
Now should a shock cost $125, that is a question worth debating.

Well then I guess I'm just that loved.. Because the Toyota dealers I go to will match online prices of other Toyota dealers. Just showed them the proof, and they matched it. Some business is better than no business.

But if you don't want to ask your local dealer to match prices, then I guess that's up to you and your wallet.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: newbe46
I replaced the shocks on my Odyssey at around 93,000 miles. My mechanic recommended KYB assembly instead of anything else. It was a mistake I would like to take back.

First of all, there is the noise. It's almost as if something doesn't sit properly and whenever there is a small bump there is this "boink" coming from the front axle.

Then the there is the ride, it was much harsher than the original. I say this because a friend of mine has the same year model and similar mileage before I change the shocks, he has the original shocks and his van is much nicer.

Putting KYB's in a minivan is questionable at best. Does Monroe make something for this vehicle?

Yes, sir, Monroe does make shocks for 04' Odyssey and interestingly it's a bit of hit or miss according to the wisdom of the interweb.

Today got the KYBs out and put in new OEM (Tokico) struts. I didn't tackle the task as it wasn't worth the heartburn.
World of difference, the KYBs sagged and destroyed the endlinks over the last 2 years of driving.
The ride is firm though confident, the steering is a big heavy and the tech told me new suspension results in tighter steer.

Today got the KYBs out and put in new OEM (Tokico) struts. I didn't tackle the task as it wasn't worth the heartburn.
World of difference, the KYBs sagged and destroyed the endlinks over the last 2 years of driving.
The ride is firm though confident, the steering is a big heavy and the tech told me new suspension results in tighter steer.

thanks for the update! Glad to hear the new OEM struts are excellent! I knew they would be. There is so much aftermarket junk out there, it's insane! I know the KYB struts I was going to install into the civic were already leaking before being installed! After thinking that was just my luck, the 2nd set I ordered were also leaking (Even worse!). The moog ready strut that I bought barely lasted 8 months before riding on the bump stops!

I gave up and got SACHS brand which is an OEM supplier to Honda in europe. So far been working fine for a couple of years!

But with the Scion (toyota) I won't even bother with aftermarket. I went straight to the Toyota brand. If they lasted nearly a decade then that's a winner to me! With all the "money saving" people claim with aftermarket they never tell you how many times over they had to replace that "money saving" aftermarket part! Would've been cheaper to buy the OEm and be done with it.

again, glad to hear it's nice and responsive now!
thumbsup2.gif

The labor on this freaking job is 1.7hrs ($170 in my world per side).

The springs on these Toyota's are curved springs, its easy to get out but a PITA to get it back in unless one has the right compressor.

So essentially there is a lot of money wasted on aftermarket parts that many a times fail.

One lesson learnt is never ever try aftermarket suspension components incl. shocks.

The labor on this freaking job is 1.7hrs ($170 in my world per side).

The springs on these Toyota's are curved springs, its easy to get out but a PITA to get it back in unless one has the right compressor.

So essentially there is a lot of money wasted on aftermarket parts that many a times fail.

One lesson learnt is never ever try aftermarket suspension components incl. shocks.

This is why I like quick struts
smile.gif

I have had great luck with KYB and wont use anything else
Monroe,Bilstiens never rode as nice as KYBs in my trucks

YMMV

Originally Posted By: Excel

YMMV

I had KYB before and they were good but not the batch I was stuck with.
Once bitten twice shy - my mantra is not to use aftermarket suspension parts ever.

Originally Posted By: Excel

YMMV

I had KYB before and they were good but not the batch I was stuck with.
Once bitten twice shy - my mantra is not to use aftermarket suspension parts ever.

yeah I have to jump in here, so many times we get people who try and say "oh no.. brand X is good I never had a problem".. Really? Sounds more like trolling to support a brand.. When I had EIGHT different shock assemblies that were leaking fluid, every.. one.. of.. them..

Now that's more than just bad luck, that shows manufacturing quality that has gone downhill! Onto another brand that actually wants to sell units that are good quality. And no the part boxes weren't damaged or the part thrown around, etc..

I think oem is the way to go for front strut mounts. On cars like honda, toyota, nissan etc, oem struts as well. But what about cars like saturn s, where there is no oem strut available( and not oem mounts either ( ac/delco professional are not the same as oem).

I've used kyb on saturn s and they hold up,( with moog mounts) just ride a bit stiff as saturn s cars have short suspension travel.
I have used monroe-matic plus ( not their top strut) and it was junk.

Or say for my elantra, where at 66k the struts and rear shocks are bad a bit early? Go back with oem? Or try a quality aftermarket like Kyb?

I also have to question if some of the major aftermarket brand failures are due to installation. Are you or the mechanics spinning the strut rod with an impact gun while tighting the center nut down? I never do that.

Last edited:
spasm-- nope mine weren't even installed and they were already defective sitting in their box! sheesh..

with a car that doesn't have the oem available anymore.. that's where more homework is needed. That happened on my 96 civic, the Honda stuff wasn't available and even if it was, I don't want a mushy ride. yuck!

I went with SACHS for the Civic.. maybe look into them for your Saturn or Elantra? I thought they were excellent quality when I took them out of the box, very heavy/dense metal housings, etc. And they're still working today, drama-free, like it should be!

I know that not all aftermarket is bad, but lately, its like 75% or more is junk out there! If that's what they want is a race to the bottom, then go for it. But I won't be buying that junk anymore! I've done it, and had parts fail, then have to pay again (for oem) but at least I'm done for now!

I've used mostly Monroes and so far they have worked well. I think all the opinionated stuff you hear about struts comes from personal opinion on ride preferences and as far as the reliability of the struts and strut mounts, that may very as per the application and or if you bought a quick strut or the parts separate. That, and if you are installing a quick strut, check the torque on that top nut before completing the job. I would not buy any Cheap Chinese struts.

Don't forget the 'BAD PART".
A bunch of people saying "they were good" or "...bad" isn't necessarily data....and we'd be the people to ask.
The mileages cited for leakage is the reddist meat here. The list of companies which have given up on quality is good to know too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back