Kind of shocked at the rise in motor oil prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did my oil change last night; the 5 quart bottle of Valvoline Maxlife was $16.50 at Wal-Mart. Four months ago when I did the last oil change that same bottle was $10.78. After leaving Wal-Mart, I dashed into AutoZone real quick to see how much money I saved. Of course they don't have 5 quart bottles there, but their price for single quarts Maxlife is $4.99 now.
shocked2.gif

Four months ago, AutoZone's price on single quarts was $3.49.

Well, for what its worth, i was reading today, oil is creeping back up to $100 a barrell..maybe that has soemthing to with it?

I kinda questioned my sanity when I stocked up on 36+ bottles of synthetic 5w30 (about 12 qts. of QS 5w30 syn the rest is PP) when I could get it between $0.99 and $1.99/qt. (after mail in rebate of course)...I blamed BITOG for turning me into a hoarder....not any more.

Thanks BITOG!!

Last edited:
ziggy You work for big oil? LOL J/K

Oil falls near $40

Concern about the recession and its impact on energy demand drive prices lower.
By Catherine Clifford and Kenneth Musante, CNNMoney.com staff writers
Last Updated: February 2, 2009: 3:34 PM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Oil prices fell Monday as investors remained concerned about a deepening recession and its impact on global demand for energy.

Light, sweet crude for March delivery settled down $1.60 at $40.08 a barrel. Prices had fallen as low as $39.83 during the session.

Crude oil prices have fallen more than $100 a barrel since the summer months, when oil topped $147 a barrel, as the weakening economy dragged down demand for energy.

"The economy is slowing more than expected, and we might see further decline in demand for fuel," said Antoine Halff, deputy head of research with trading firm Newedge USA.

In reports out Monday, the government said December personal spending declined 1% and spending on construction fell for the third straight month, while a private sector report showed the manufacturing sector in contraction for the 12th straight month in January.

Later this week, the government is expected to report that the unemployment rate rose to 7.5% in January. Last Friday, another government report showed that GDP fell at an annual rate of 3.8% in the fiscal fourth quarter.

The market is going to keep worrying about the economy and falling demand "for the foreseeable future," said Halff.

Strike worries recede: Also easing oil prices was the postponement of a possible oil strike by U.S. oil workers seeking a new labor contract.

Royal Dutch Shell (RDS) and the United Steelworkers union, which represents oil refinery workers, agreed to rolling 24-hour contract extensions. The two groups were negotiating a labor agreement that was originally scheduled to expire Sunday.

"In this market, it's crazy for unions to go on strike," said Halff. A lot of refiners are running in the red and would be happy to shut down, he explained.

Gas prices rise: Gasoline prices meanwhile rose 1.3 cents overnight to a national average of $1.88 a gallon, according to a daily survey of gas station credit card swipes from motorist group AAA.

Gas prices - which had fallen by more than half from the record highs set last July - have been on the rise in recent weeks, despite crude futures stabilizing just above $40 a barrel.

Production cuts have been the primary reason, according to Bob van der Valk, pricing analyst with fuel management company 4Refuel Inc. He said one California refinery closed because the low prices caused it to lose money on each gallon of gas.

van der Valk also said plants were retooling to begin producing summer-grade gasoline.

the high prices of engine oil makes most of us extend our oil change intervals i extended mine from 4000 miles to 6000 miles with no problems at all and good uoa's
Prices went up on oil and i save more now in the long run i was always a pennzoil guy i now use conoco phillips with fantastic uoa's and the oil is a lot less expensive and semi synthetic to boot!

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Did my oil change last night; the 5 quart bottle of Valvoline Maxlife was $16.50 at Wal-Mart. Four months ago when I did the last oil change that same bottle was $10.78. After leaving Wal-Mart, I dashed into AutoZone real quick to see how much money I saved. Of course they don't have 5 quart bottles there, but their price for single quarts Maxlife is $4.99 now.
shocked2.gif

Pennzoil Platinum went from 6.59 to 8.09 a quart at Advance in less then 2 months.

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
shocked2.gif

Pennzoil Platinum went from 6.59 to 8.09 a quart at Advance in less then 2 months.

At Wal-mart its 4.01 a quart but 23.00 for the 5 quart jug.

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr

That would determine one place that I *wouldn't* be buying my oil... not when it is $4.60 a quart at W*M.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Quaker State conventional is down from $12 to $10.50, and there are a few other price reductions here and there.
Yep, saw that at WM today and snagged 2 jugs, 5w20 and 5w30. Good supply in all grades, mine had Jan09 date code.

I can't even remember the last time I used QS, but at only 50 cents more a jug than ST, I couldn't resist.
banana2.gif

Based on WM pricing, it seems that some of the synthetics may be going up, while dino is holding or going down.(ST,QS,HavDS)

I stopped at WM today & saw that the QS was $10.50 for the 5qt jug & I'm thinking about running it in my wife's QX4, since it's due for an oil change anyway. I don't think that I've ever used QS, I wish that it would have been Pennzoil for $10.50.

Originally Posted By: heathenbrewing
I kinda questioned my sanity when I stocked up on 36+ bottles of synthetic 5w30 (about 12 qts. of QS 5w30 syn the rest is PP) when I could get it between $0.99 and $1.99/qt. (after mail in rebate of course)...I blamed BITOG for turning me into a hoarder....not any more.

Thanks BITOG!!

george1zh8.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back