Kia EV6 GT @ AutoX

The best way to break in a new car is to learn the capabilities, right?

I would normally run my C5 at the AutoX events I attend, but I just wanted to see what the GT could do at the limits, and how well it actually handled.

Overall I was pretty pleased. The most surprising part was how well it did on the slalom part of the course. Given the weight, I thought it would wallow through it like a whale, but it did well, and even responded under power by turning in on transitions. Also the straight line acceleration is tough to describe. I took a couple of friends for ride alongs, and they were blown away by the acceleration. They also got to ride with another friend of mine who drives a GR86 fully decked out for AutoX (tires, wheels, spacers, shocks, roll bars) and they both preferred to ride with me, even though the GR had a faster time - totally due to the feeling of acceleration.

The real limiting factor was the tires...ugh, they are terrible. I started with 42 PSI all around, which is over OEM suggestion (normal), and rolled the fronts over to the point of being within a half inch of the rim touching the ground. I ended up running 50 in the front, and staying at 42 in the rear...that gave the best balance, but still ate the fronts. She pushed really hard, and was tough to get to oversteer, even in GT mode which is supposed to disable the nannies, but clearly didn't. I did not try drift mode, as it would slow me down by not having the power to the front. I'm quite sure with competitive tires, this car could run some really good times.

I had a lot of questions about the battery, overheating, making it home, etc. This car can do a complete lap of the Nürburgring, so I was not worried. Over 8 runs I only used 9% of the battery. I never even heard an extra fan kick on...no concerns at all. I drove to the event, completed the event, and made it home with over 80% battery remaining when I got home.

I am the guy in the blue shirt standing next to my ride :)

1685018396409.jpg
1685018500504.jpeg

I would normally run my C5 at the AutoX events I attend, but I just wanted to see what the GT could do at the limits, and how well it actually handled.

Overall I was pretty pleased. The most surprising part was how well it did on the slalom part of the course. Given the weight, I thought it would wallow through it like a whale, but it did well, and even responded under power by turning in on transitions. Also the straight line acceleration is tough to describe. I took a couple of friends for ride alongs, and they were blown away by the acceleration. They also got to ride with another friend of mine who drives a GR86 fully decked out for AutoX (tires, wheels, spacers, shocks, roll bars) and they both preferred to ride with me, even though the GR had a faster time - totally due to the feeling of acceleration.

The real limiting factor was the tires...ugh, they are terrible. I started with 42 PSI all around, which is over OEM suggestion (normal), and rolled the fronts over to the point of being within a half inch of the rim touching the ground. I ended up running 50 in the front, and staying at 42 in the rear...that gave the best balance, but still ate the fronts. She pushed really hard, and was tough to get to oversteer, even in GT mode which is supposed to disable the nannies, but clearly didn't. I did not try drift mode, as it would slow me down by not having the power to the front. I'm quite sure with competitive tires, this car could run some really good times.

I had a lot of questions about the battery, overheating, making it home, etc. This car can do a complete lap of the Nürburgring, so I was not worried. Over 8 runs I only used 9% of the battery. I never even heard an extra fan kick on...no concerns at all. I drove to the event, completed the event, and made it home with over 80% battery remaining when I got home.

View attachment 157678View attachment 157679

Congratulations on pushing your new car to its limits at the AutoX event! It sounds like you had quite an exhilarating experience and were pleasantly surprised by its capabilities.

The way you approached breaking in your new car by exploring its capabilities is indeed a great way to get to know its true potential. Testing its handling, slalom performance, and straight-line acceleration can provide valuable insights into its overall performance characteristics.

It's interesting to hear that your car performed admirably during the slalom portion of the course, defying your initial expectations regarding its weight. The fact that it responded well under power during transitions is a testament to its agility and stability. And it's always satisfying when the acceleration leaves a lasting impression on both you and your friends.

Regarding the tires, it's a shame they didn't quite meet your expectations. Finding the optimal tire pressure balance is crucial for achieving the best performance. It seems you made some adjustments to alleviate the front-end rolling and improve overall balance. Investing in competitive tires could potentially unlock even better times and enhance the overall driving experience.

It's reassuring to know that your concerns about the battery, overheating, and range were unfounded. The fact that your car used only 9% of the battery over eight runs and still had ample charge remaining for your journey back home demonstrates its efficiency and reliability. It's always a relief when a car lives up to its claims.

Keep enjoying your new car, exploring its capabilities, and pushing it to new limits. AutoX events provide a fantastic platform for enthusiasts like you to fully appreciate the performance potential of their vehicles. Have fun and drive safe!

Great post. This some tasty content.

I love hearing at-the-limit impressions from actual owners. Keep posting as (if) you do more events. I'd be curious to see if any impressions change, and hear about any new ones that develop.

Good to try the car out anyway, needs some front camber I guess? Its impressive that the acceleration is so noticeable even when compared to autocross cars on good tires! There was a guy with a model 3 performance at ours years back, but it was during covid restrictions, so no ride alongs unfortunately...

A number of sporty EV's are downright epic at autocross. It is well known that the low battery position makes for a great feeling vehicle. Which is my #1 thing with regard to owning a vehicle, that is a responsive nature. It does not have to be the fastest (Miata is really fun) but it has to feel right. Add in some epic acceleration and what's not to love!!!

It's interesting that the styling makes it appear to be a hatchback when it's really larger than that. Well done KIA.

Yeah, it is...she is replacing my Buick Regal TourX. My bride works from home, and prefers to sit high, so she drives the truck we need for working around the house, and hauling our toys, while I have a ~50 mile round trip commute and drive the family hauler. The TourX was a great car, one of the top 5 I have owned out of...wow, more than I care to admit, but just lacked in performance, even after a tune. I do still drive the C5 to work on nice days. The Kia has just enough room to make my bride and son happy, can carry the grand kids, and the performance I was looking for in a boring DD.

Funny thing...I drove it home with the 50psi in the fronts, and 42 in the rear, and so far have decided to leave it that way. Much more responsive, and little change in ride quality.

I have psas4s on mine, and dont have the adhesion complaints people on oem rubber do. Hopefully mine will get squared away this next week at the dealer. That would be cool.

-Incessant rattling
-Steering wheel not fully centered
-Vibration at 80ish

The latter two seemed to manifest after the left rear shock was replaced and the tires rotated.

Overall, its fast and capable, but not up to my usual quality standards coming from brands like Mazda, Toyota, Acura, etc. Its becoming a bit of a maintenance queen thats really starting to show its age and miles. I toy with the idea of trading it for a MYP or something in the future.

I have psas4s on mine, and dont have the adhesion complaints people on oem rubber do. Hopefully mine will get squared away this next week at the dealer. That would be cool.

-Incessant rattling
-Vibration at 80ish

The latter two seemed to manifest after the left rear shock was replaced and the tires rotated.

Overall, its fast and capable, but not up to my usual quality standards coming from brands like Mazda, Toyota, Acura, etc. Its becoming a bit of a maintenance queen thats really starting to show its age and miles. I toy with the idea of trading it for a MYP or something in the future.
how many miles are on it?

Congratulations on pushing your new car to its limits at the AutoX event! It sounds like you had quite an exhilarating experience and were pleasantly surprised by its capabilities.

The way you approached breaking in your new car by exploring its capabilities is indeed a great way to get to know its true potential. Testing its handling, slalom performance, and straight-line acceleration can provide valuable insights into its overall performance characteristics.

It's interesting to hear that your car performed admirably during the slalom portion of the course, defying your initial expectations regarding its weight. The fact that it responded well under power during transitions is a testament to its agility and stability. And it's always satisfying when the acceleration leaves a lasting impression on both you and your friends.

Regarding the tires, it's a shame they didn't quite meet your expectations. Finding the optimal tire pressure balance is crucial for achieving the best performance. It seems you made some adjustments to alleviate the front-end rolling and improve overall balance. Investing in competitive tires could potentially unlock even better times and enhance the overall driving experience.

It's reassuring to know that your concerns about the battery, overheating, and range were unfounded. The fact that your car used only 9% of the battery over eight runs and still had ample charge remaining for your journey back home demonstrates its efficiency and reliability. It's always a relief when a car lives up to its claims.

Keep enjoying your new car, exploring its capabilities, and pushing it to new limits. AutoX events provide a fantastic platform for enthusiasts like you to fully appreciate the performance potential of their vehicles. Have fun and drive safe!

I can’t help but read this post and think it was written by AI.

View attachment 157678View attachment 157679

How did the times compare to your C5, if you can compare to what friends’ cars ran at this event? I ended up with a Model Y Performance but looked hard at the Kia too but our dealers here acted like the top line model was made of out of catalytic converters.

-Incessant rattling
-Vibration at 80ish

I think the steering wheel not being perfectly centered has to do with road camber, the width of the front tires, and the aggressiveness of the steering geometry. I first thought mine was not centered either, but finding a true level surface showed it was a product of those factors.

How did the times compare to your C5, if you can compare to what friends’ cars ran at this event? I ended up with a Model Y Performance but looked hard at the Kia too but our dealers here acted like the top line model was made of out of catalytic converters.

You can't compare time in AutoX, every single race you run is different. Even if you run at the same location, the course could be totally different.

I drove a model Y performance...I prefer the Kia...despite the great charging network, and support, I prefer the dynamics and performance of the Kia.

Back