Gedney-house-and-car-1964.jpg

giphy.gif

What is your octopus's point?

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: eljefino

giphy.gif

It's pointing out how dangerous that wooden ramp is.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Originally Posted By: motorguy222
I am a Kentuckian, born and raised here. Drugs and obesity are a NATIONAL problem not a Kentucky problem. Some of the biggest drug users live in big cities and have higher incomes, it effects ALL levels. Obesity is national, not a Kentucky problem, go to any mall etc. no matter where you live, it is THERE.

Some of the hardest working people you will ever meet are in Kentucky.
+1 on that!

Common sense in those days was far more common too.

While I enjoyed the classic B&W photos, I could have done without the condescending author's comments. Country people are not all backward & stupid. And yeah, they grew most of what they ate. Soda water didn't come in 3L jugs: You drank it out of a single glass bottle you bought for five cents at the grocery store or gas station.

Finally, neither of my grandmothers would waste a shotgun shell on a chicken. They'd grab it by the neck and wring it off without thinking twice about it. Eggs were served for breakfast and the hens for dinner! The double-barrel breech-loader was used on the varmits trying to get in the chicken coup. I still have that gun.

Geesh.....what an idiot.

I noticed the condescending commentary too. Sign of the times, some are fair game, others are not.

car51 Motorguy: have you had a soda named Ale8One? I enjoyed a few of those when i was there [/quote said:
Yes, Ale 8 One is quite good, they have Cherry now but I haven't tried it yet, it should be good as well.

Originally Posted By: Kira

Notice the absence of any facts like how long any of the cars were there or if any vehicle was ever moved along. Also, NO MENTION of income (a good way to buy car parts) etc.

Well and how do we know that this wasn't some self-sustaining occupation, where they were paid by neighbors... the proverbial "I know a guy"?

How long would they put up with a photographer taking pictures of the same thing for a month? What did they think of him?

My neighbor up the road bought a vacant (for 10 years) property for 18 cents on the dollar and has a yard full of cultch he fixes. First winter they were there they only had a fireplace for heat and sent the kids to bed wearing snow pants to stay warm. The heat came back when an "uncle" lived there rent-free and replaced all the stolen copper pipes with PEX. Bartered his handy-man skills for a roof over his head. This stuff still goes on-- if we don't see it, we aren't looking.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: eljefino

giphy.gif

It's pointing out how dangerous that wooden ramp is.

OK, how dangerous is it?

If it doesn't have at least 8 supports, an octopus isn't going to like it, and it probably has no experience with bamboo scaffolding to build up its confidence.

I can't tell from that photograph how robust it is, or indeed if its wooden. I imagine they've used it a few times before though, so unless it rots from ground contact they're probably reasonably confident its OK.

Today it seems to be a lower income/poverty issue.

I just spent a weekend in Charlevoix MI, a resort town and didn't run across many overweight or obese people.

Seems that folks with money, in my decidedly unofficial and unscientific sample space are less likely to become obese.

But I do agree it's not just a southern issue. One can find obese people everywhere.

There are pockets and populations where it is less likely. But I think it's more related to income and education than it is a region.

Originally Posted By: motorguy222
I am a Kentuckian, born and raised here. Drugs and obesity are a NATIONAL problem not a Kentucky problem. Some of the biggest drug users live in big cities and have higher incomes, it effects ALL levels. Obesity is national, not a Kentucky problem, go to any mall etc. no matter where you live, it is THERE.

Some of the hardest working people you will ever meet are in Kentucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back