Obesity and exercise

Probably body fat percentage is a more accurate measure of whether you have a weight problem or not. Most football players are probably overweight due to the BMI charts, but probably have an acceptable body fat percentage although a few positions, having extra weight is helpful.

No, I was given meds for my depression that made me fat and lethargic. Luckily, the boat stairwell is there and I choose to take it over the elevator. I’ve also been spending more time on the deckplates than my office job now requires. I’ve lost 5# recently and hope that trend continues. Unfortunately, the Providence Guy (street vendor) makes amazing sausage, egg, hash and cheddar wrap, so…not helping

Last edited:
exercise is great BUT its tough for anyone really overweight + weak to get started. exercising in water-pool is a good starter + easier on the joints!! MOST of all the diet needs to be fixed, not go on a diet but eat REAL foods, not processed junk!! lots of opinions + ways to cut the weight BUT insulin control is key!! carbs jack insulin a fat storage hormone + make you hungrier, fats are the opposite, again depending on your beliefs saturated fat is good fat, it satisfies + keeps you feeling full longer!! NOTHING but water, coffee, or tea between 3 meals, 2 is even better as longer without stimulating insulin allows fat burning. my favorite Dr Sten Ekburg has lots of good info + knows "how the body works" more than typical MD's trained to make $$$$$ dispensing pills!!! good luck as only the person that has the issue can FIX it!!

See if he will talk to his doctor about that band thing. My fat nephew is an absolute disgrace and could use 5 of those bands but he likes stuffing his pie hole too much. No kidding this fat body likes to eat a family size pizza for a late night snack, exercise is feet from floor to couch, that's it.
A famliy sized pizza lasts me a week. Lol

I look at obesity more like an addiction
First like many have said YOU have to want to change. That is the first step, then you have to understand that you will slip, it happens, what you do after is what is important. Any addiction, whether its food, drugs, alcohol, or whatever you must first admit you have a problem. I smoked since I was 16, I didn't quit for real until 2015. Was it hard, heck yea, did I relapse heck yes, did I continue my program? Absolutely. I finally am smoke free and I'm glad I did it. You and only you can decide to change, nobody can make you, what they can do is support youand help you. Like the old saying " You can lead a horse..."

I have bad days too, where i'II snack after 7PM and my OMAD goes out the window. I have put on over 10 pounds recently and need to get back into a groove. I find it's cyclical, but for the most part I'm fairly disciplined and get the results when I'm on my game. I'm still 40 pounds lighter than just a few years ago.

Your family member needs to quit eating processed foods.

The sad reality is that a good percentage of Americans that have been in the USA for multiple generations eat like garbage.

If you look at what foreign born people from overseas place in their shopping cart, it's not the junk most Americans eat.

My parents are from Poland and I grew up with a health nut Mom and my wife is also a heath freak. Everyone in my family is tall & skinny.
I'm 6'2-3/4 and never weighed over 165 in my life.

its ok to round up just say 6'3' :ROFLMAO:
also what is your age?
I weighed 124 at 20
was under 160 until well into my 30's

Anyone have experience with therapy for obesity? I have a family member who is turning 50, hypertensive, and essentially let themselves go over the past decade (Out of convenience). I'm really struggling watching this happen and yet because I have a no-BS approach to staying physically fit my personality doesn't lend itself towards providing suggestions.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has any success stories using therapy. Perhaps I can guide them to getting help. I've been to too many funerals as of late.
You mean like Hypnosis? I've had a co worker that was hypnotized to stop smoking....

Number one, this person has to get concerned. If he is not then there is not much you can do.

If he is concerned the next step is to see his doctor. Weight gain can be caused by medical issues. Find that out.

Then comes a lifestyle change. Less calories. Watch what you eat. Eat in moderation. No more junk food. Drink lots of water. Exercise.

He may find out that the healthy lifestyle will have positive effects on his blood pressure as well as his weight.

When I examined my life, I found I really didn't walk anywhere. I walk around the house, I push my lawn mower but that's it. The grocery store was the closest place I went and it was a mile away so I drove.

I changed just that. Found my old back pack and walked to the grocery store. It seemed to get the blood flowing or something. Like my body consumed more calories all day. Lost 20 lbs and felt younger. You're not as likely to buy junk food when you have to carry it home.

Try little changes. Nobody can make huge changes and stick to it.

I’ve been a runner/cyclist/mountain biker for years, and I enjoy the boost I get from it.

A side benefit is being healthy, physically fit, and I always have good blood work numbers.

Just this month, I picked up inline skating again after about 30 years (skated some and played street hockey in our neighborhood as a kid). What a workout! My hamstrings are killing me after doing about 3 hrs of skating in the last couple of days!

For me, it’s a lifestyle. My recreation is running, riding, or skating. I don’t get anything out of sitting around the house.

I also don’t have an office job. Im in aircraft maintenance, and that involves a lot of walking around from hangar to hangar.

I eat pretty much what I want. I did give up soda, for the most part, this year. I was drinking 2 per day - usually a Coke Zero at lunch, and a full sugar ginger ale for dinner. For the last few months, I’m only drinking a couple of sodas per week - I allow myself a ginger ale at dinner 2-3x per week.

I also don’t drink alcohol, at all. I know a lot of guys who put on a lot of weight through all the beer they drink. It’s pretty obvious with the huge stomach.

I have a close family member who, for years, was obese. And, for years, I tried to talk with them about their weight, their diet, their lack of exercise, to no avail. They even had a severe bout with diverticulitis about 4 years ago that was largely the result of their poor diet and excess. Had to have an operation to remove 12” of their colon, and almost ended up with a colostomy. Thankfully, they didn’t, and made a full recovery. Recently, they decided to do something about their weight problem. Started exercising, dieting, etc. I’m very thankful, as this person‘s lifestyle was going to cut their life short. They’ve now lost >100 lbs.

So, like others have said, it requires the individual to want to change. Unfortunately change is very hard, and once someone has lived a certain lifestyle for years, that momentum is hard to turn around. But many, many people have done it!

Getting your family member into therapy of some sort might help, if they’ll go. How do you propose to do that? I can’t imagine asking the particular family member I mentioned above to “go to therapy” about their weight. That would not have gone over well at all.

I don’t think anyone can really help anyone else to lose weight. Yes, they may through extreme commitment together lose weight, but it’s not sustainable.

It takes tremendous commitment and most people just don’t have it. I have battled weight gains/loses my whole life, buts it’s my battle and my battle alone. I’ll gain 30 pounds from September to January and lose that 30 from February to May/early June. I overeat. I’ll work out six days a week but I eat...I’ll relax eat/stress eat/boredom eat/fun eat/holiday eat/Halloween candy eat/Easter bunny eat/after workout eat. Anything and everything. And on the weekends I’ll drink maybe 6-9 drinks total. But I workout a TON. Mountain bike two hours a day (4-7 days a week) and lift 3 days a week. And without the exercise I’ll also easily do 10,000 steps a day at my job. But I have an eating problem, I know that for sure. And it’s not good.

You’re not going to help anyone permanently change their life and become a healthy eater/workout person. Not happening. Believe me I’ve tried to help people, it NEVER WORKS.

People have to want to change.
This is true. When I dropped from around 275# to 215-220# people all cheered, but most said they could never do that.

It takes making some sustainable changes. Folks can do drastic things for a short time, but as far as making life style changes, that's harder.

Part of it is 50 years of conditioning to overcome.

Someone has to want to do it. No one can want it for them.

Exercise can only go so far. Which is easier, eat 1000 calories worth of food or exercise off 1000 calories?

It takes most folks more than an hour to REALLY burn 1000 calories exercising. Not the 1000 calories displayed on the treadmill or bike at the gym, but an honest 1000 calories.

You can eat that in the time it takes to eat 2-4 donuts or slices of pizza or similar, so far faster.

The biggest lever one has in their weight loss journey is their fork.

I do suggest a scale, but not one for weighing the person. I suggest a food scale. Weigh calorie dense foods and exercise portion control.

I.E. if you want to have ice cream, weigh out a real single serving of ice cream. Not what is depicted on the package, which is probably 2+ servings, but the weight in grams of a serving as described by the nutrition info.

Eat it, enjoy it, log it, and move on.

I eat anything I want, but I don't eat as much as I did before.

I also knew I'd be having pizza last night, so I skipped lunch, making room in my calorie budget for three slices of pizza.

Had I not known, I'd probably have had 1-2 slices.

Anyway, the bottom line is the best "exercise" is fork putdowns and table pushbacks.

Most folks are bad at estimating portions, so a food scale is advised. Using measuring cups and so on isn't accurate enough for calorie dense foods like dairy, meats, sauces, peanut butter, etc.

Last edited:
A gym I used to go to had a sign that said something along the lines of that weight loss is 25% hard work, 75% diet. Something like that. Makes sense.

Exercise, if one has or makes the time, is important for so much more than burning calories. I’m not that old but I’m starting the see the necessity more oriented towards range of motion, flexibility. core strength, etc. But it doesn’t get a real fat reduction.

Diet is the tougher part. I don’t know about most, but I get pretty strong cravings, and I like sweets. I don’t drink soda or sugary drinks/juices. I don’t take sugar in coffee or tea. But I do like savory foods and sweet foods, and it can make me very hungry. My wife tells me I also tend to snack when working long times and/or are bored. The challenge is eating to the hunger level. And not more.

But making time (easier said than done) and wanting to be active and careful, with food intake is really the key. How one makes themself mentally tough to do both is something that is unique per person I guess…

Finished my 4 year mechanical 40 years ago. Decided to take over the family plumbing business instead. My college roommate got a job in engineering. He ballooned from 160lb to over 300lbs. He sits all day, walks the dog when he gets home for exercise. 12 hour days and works Saturdays. My days are filled with physical activity but he makes a crap load more money than I. I am so glad I went the route I did or I'd be in his boat...obese with a boring job. Money is overrated.

Finished my 4 year mechanical 40 years ago. Decided to take over the family plumbing business instead. My college roommate got a job in engineering. He ballooned from 160lb to over 300lbs. He sits all day, walks the dog when he gets home for exercise. 12 hour days and works Saturdays. My days are filled with physical activity but he makes a crap load more money than I. I am so glad I went the route I did or I'd be in his boat...obese with a boring job. Money is overrated.
We have no idea what his diet is most people have some belief that somehow sitting is the issue.

We have no idea what his diet is most people have some belief that somehow sitting is the issue.
One needs muscle mass to atleast burn off some cals. He has no time for exercise and is soft. One cannot just eat salads and no-fun stuff all the time. Pluss he is not sexually active as his partner is out of order for years. When the sex stops usually the weight increases.

When I was young I just could not understand how people let themselves go. Now that I am old I do not judge anybody as I get it now.

Ahh..youth and the human condition...

Depression leads to many things going south, resulting in more depression, so it feeds on itself. Get fat then feel bad about it and eat.
This here is an addiction too. I mean there is good info, but then it becomes beyond looking for good info. It becomes using up time for no real reason. Last word on the tombstone “ he spent most of his time making comments on the internet.”

Back