Keeping a car at a vacation home in FL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by CincyDavid
...for long weekends once or twice a month.

Do nothing out of the ordinary.

Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
More thieves in Florida!

Neighbor retired down there, she was the only house on her block not broken into and things stolen.....

She moved back to Illinois.... one of the worst states to retire in!

You need a good caretaker, and I would make sure that car in that garage is immobilized.

Pull the ignition or fuel pump fuse ?

If a thief really wants it, they'll take it. You can't stop them.

If
You want to leave a property empty for a length of time then theft will be a problem.

Work full time until you can afford to retire full time then live there full time. An alarmed garage and an easily accessible semi-auto 12ga will keep all of your possessions safe.

My inlaws have a home in Naples and store 3 vehicles there from April til November in a garage without any issues. Battery tenders, Stabil in the tanks and that's it. We did have a tire come apart on the way to the airport that was maybe 7 or 8 years old but only had 15-20k on it as they don't drive far when there. The garage does have a dehumidifier and mini split AC that drains to the the exterior. Humidity is the real issue as mold can grow so make sure to leave the AC on in the house when you are away and maybe keep a dehumidifier or something in the garage. If you are truly down there every few weeks I don't think I'd do anything but put it on a battery tender.

I definitely see the appeal of retirement in Southwest Florida after all these overcast midwestern winter days.

Last edited:
I'm not worried about theft...especially not the car. It's insured. If it goes missing, so be it. Frankly, if someone stole the gas grill it would irritate me more. Our primary residence is alarmed, and the vacation home will be as well. There really won't be anything enticing enough to encourage thievery anyway, and it's in a subdivision with lots of nosy neighbors. This is our way of dipping our toes into Florida living. We both have the flexibility to work from home sometimes, and could transition into pretty much any living situation we choose. The bigger issue may be if and when we change our domicile to FL from OH...gotta look at the tax implications of that, and any potential effect on professional licenses we both hold.

The bigger issue may be if and when we change our domicile to FL from OH...gotta look at the tax implications of that, and any potential effect on professional licenses we both hold.

Moved here from Ohio myself. Yes, the car is going to cost you to register here, like $350, but the rest of the tax structure will make you wonder why you ever lived in Ohio! No state tax. Local tax about the same (school, etc). Professional license is something I have limited knowledge of. My Financial advisor is licensed both in OH and FL, not a big deal I figure.

In fact, I know a couple of people that worked from home, and made sure they were FL residents for 6 months or longer, changed their main residence to FL, but still would work in Ohio part time. No Ohio tax!

Another good suggestion I received here from berniedd was the use of a dessicant; It will help prevent mould.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back