Keep K&N or NOT ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost all my cars are carb lol but just from my experience they are better than just a paper one. What type of oil would a filter have in it is my question.
You're supposed to oil the air filter every once in a while. Typically people use too much and it gets on the MAF.

Never had that experience but that’s interesting. I usually replace them instead of cleaning them too. We see a number of filters that are K&N that come in none of them look majorly dirty as it was saying it is a short period of time for it to get dirty. I thought that they were paper just colored and covered with wire.

It's not something you'd "experience", this is simply test data using a standardized testing protocol. How dirty the filter looks really has no impact on its performance and is more tied to operating conditions and time in use. They are definitely not paper, but rather oiled cotton gauze.

A standard paper filter providers a greater deal of filtration at the cost of lower flow. However, OEM filters and airboxes are typically oversized for a given application to account for loading so flow will be more than sufficient at stock power levels. My factory airbox and filter are, for example, sized to feed 475HP, the one in the Trackhawk, 707HP, both using paper filters.

Continue to use K&Ns and see no reason on a normally driven/normal condition (not dust bowl) - my UOAs all look fine and my intake is clean inside. I'm sure I'm getting a little more dust in there and if that bothers you - easy...don't use them. My car will blow up from something else way before anything K&N-related happens (if that is even a thing/measurable).

I do agree with Overkill though, if you are just a DD type of person, they really aren't worth it vs. a simple drop-in set-and-forget paper filter. For me, it's part of a performance upgrade package of parts and for me, for sure worth the extra flow.

I can only recommend two panel filters (AEM Dryflow) & (AFE Dry) with an honourable mention Apexi Panel/Power Intake.
https://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/index.htmlbkbk this article got me hooked on dry filters

That doesn't delve into the efficiency performance aspect at all however.

Unless you have a race car with regular engine rebuilds or a performance built street car where you expect in time a rebuild, K&N air filters in normal automobiles under the guise of better performance is the biggest marketing scam that the public buys into.
You cant possibly do anything worse for your engine then put a oil reusable K&N air filter in it. It can never filter as good as a plain old OEM air filter.
To me, K&N filters = If you build it, people will buy it ;)

Last edited:
Thought you guys might enjoy this data.

it's a performance comparison between a oem oiled filter and a aftermarket that wasn't oiled

mime-attachment.GIF

"...if one is looking to maximize filtration and not flow." There, fixed it for you.
Which we know on a stock modern day OEM engine, changing filtration to a non OEM high air flow filter design will not help and quite possibly degrade engine performance and it will certainly increase engine wear which would also show up as more silicon in the oil and actually is a test result in UOAs, posted on this site.
https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/89/silicon-engine-oil

Which we know on a stock modern day OEM engine, changing filtration to a non OEM high air flow filter design will not help and quite possibly degrade engine performance and it will certainly increase engine wear which would also show up as more silicon in the oil and actually is a test result in UOAs, posted on this site.
https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/89/silicon-engine-oil
So my UOAs showing no increased silicon are meaningless (I believe I've posted them in this thread somewhere...)? Also, it may surprise you that there are those of us that like to modify our engines for more power where these small improvements can and do make a difference.

So my UOAs showing no increased silicon are meaningless (I believe I've posted them in this thread somewhere...)? Also, it may surprise you that there are those of us that like to modify our engines for more power where these small improvements can and do make a difference.
"modern day OEM engine" ;) (stock)
Differences on minor modifications are questionable at best without a dyno chart. I agree with the video above that "wemay" posted but it is not videos like that that have formed my opinion.
As far as what you experience with your UOAs are unique to your environment and engine, its just fact, just like an oil filter, the larger sand and dust particles that you let circulate around your engine, the more wear. Again, this is for the average consumer who wishes to get long life out of his/her engine and do what is best for it, much like most of BITOG forum.

Last edited:
"modern day OEM engine" ;) (stock)
Differences on minor modifications are questionable at best without a dyno chart. I agree with the video above that "wemay" posted but it is not videos like that that have formed my opinion.
As far as what you experience with your UOAs are unique to your environment and engine, its just fact, just like an oil filter, the larger sand and dust particles that you let circulate around your engine, the more wear. Again, this is for the average consumer who wishes to get long life out of his/her engine and do what is best for it, much like most of BITOG forum.
" I do agree with Overkill though, if you are just a DD type of person, they really aren't worth it vs. a simple drop-in set-and-forget paper filter. For me, it's part of a performance upgrade package of parts and for me, for sure worth the extra flow."

I thought I covered that clearly in my "position" on this topic.

On the UOAs - sure, they are specific to where I drive etc. but isn't that whole point? The "bad" UOAs are specific to those UOAs and doesn't actually tell you much beyond that filter and those conditions led to that result per your comment - it's possible that they would have looked crappy with a paper filter. Can't have it both ways. K&Ns do not always lead to filtration issues is really all there is to it but it's sure posted that way here.

If k&n flow better what is being sacrificed for more airflow? K&n antidote...

tacky oil to trap the dirt that a proper element with filter out.

If k&n flow better what is being sacrificed for more airflow? K&n antidote...

tacky oil to trap the dirt that a proper element with filter out.
100% you loose some filtration, I didn't think this was particularly controversial at this point. The question should always be - does that small decrease in filtration matter/have any impact? Maybe/maybe not. You get to decide! I love America!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back