Kashi Kills Their Line of Healthy Granola Bars

As funny as it sounds, If I need a snack and I'm away from home I find a grocery store and hit up the baby food aisle!
Many people look at me funny, but those pouches of organic fruits and veggies are just that, fruits and veggies!
No funky additives, no additional fillers, etc. Just plain organic fruits and veggies that have been pureed with a pinch of citric acid to preserve them.

They have all the fiber to keep away hunger, and natural sugars in their most simple forms!
To top it off, there's NO sugar crash! your body doesn't get the sugar right away as the fiber needs to be digested together.
As mentioned above, some unsalted almonds/cashiews etc would go great with them and have you satisfied for hours...especially when you keep hydrated with water.

To top it all off, you can have fun with what you choose.
When I'm at the office and I wanna snack I'll go with something like a veg and fruit mix.
An example would be Pear and Butternut squash. A little less natural sugars, and more fiber.
If I'm snowboarding a couple of my fave's are Blueberry and Banana (tastes naturally creamy!) or Apricot and Mango (soooo yummy!).

Sure, others tend to look at you weird, but I don't mind. If anything it's a great way to start a discussion with the cute blonde from the Marketing dept
wink.gif

coffee2.gif

I used to eat the big jars of Gerber banana food.

I'll stick to my caffeine and potassium snack to keep me buzzing like a bee for 12 hours.

Clif Bar is my choice. I trust them. I won't eat any product produced or marketed by one of the large producers. Most of them are not food.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

I don't really like the MET-Rx bar either because of all the calories it contains. Looks like 360 calories which is more than a snack and closer to a MEAL. Many health bars are around the 200 calorie mark. Carbs in the Met-rx are 50. Which again is the amount of carbs you should have in a full meal. Sugars are 25 grams. A small packet of sugar contains 4 grams of sugar so that bar has what is equal to 6 packets of sugar in it. No thanks.

That's why they call the Met-Rx one I posted a Meal Replacement Bar !!
laugh.gif

maybe its my metabolism but they have been working great for me. As I'd said, I eat one of them and one of the kashi bars after my workout which I am able to complete on my lunch hour. Then chow the bars in the office w/ lots of water. I've gone from a high of 226lbs (6'02") at the end of my 12 week long accident recovery process to right at 210 while losing some belly, hip, and lower back fat and regaining all my muscle mass and then some. Breakfast is three boiled eggs, oatmeal plain nothing on it (Quaker natural unflavored), and a fresh pineapple spear followed by One-a-Day Men's over 50 multi vite/mineral, Magnesium malate 100% rda tablet, and was doing L-Arginine and B6 combo but ran out and now using up a bottle of ginko biloba extract. Have the ginko around due to my retina problems left eye last year, supposedly helps with retina health. Powers me through my morning, leaves enough reserve to power through my workout. Then it's the Met-Rx Big 100 bar and a Kashi bar with the water and that recovers me and holds me until supper which is conventional.

Larabars are Awesome. They have so many flavors, and many of them have only 4 ingredients. Pumpkin pie, Gingerbread, and Snickerdoodle are available now. Bluberry Muffin, Banana Bread, Key Lime pie...........I have eaten 20 in a day a few times.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Wrong bar Alfred. I was very clear in my post that it was the Big 100 MRP bar. Here is the one I was referring to:

Based on this thread and information therein, I went and got two of these today and consumed one during the course of the workday. It is phenomenal.

There are in fact two versions, that one that is pictured, and the other mentioned that has Soy Protein Isolate as the first ingredient. Packaging seems to differ slightly. This is an absolutely stellar bar, I was not hungry after consuming the first MRB I purchased. Would recommend.

Good choice. Just be sure to drink at least 16 oz's of water with it, they are a very concentrated bar.

The problem I always see with "healthy" type bars,protein bars,granola,etc,is that they're filled with as much sugar as a candy bar. Seems that would be really bad for you.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
The problem I always see with "healthy" type bars,protein bars,granola,etc,is that they're filled with as much sugar as a candy bar. Seems that would be really bad for you.

Yep.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

Yep.

Depends. A Quest bar has 1 gram of sugar in it.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Was it any better before?
I find an apple is a handy portable snack, and if I want some protein I bring some almonds or a pepperoni stick.

Exactly. Eat real food, not "bars".

My snacks are fruit, nuts, cheese etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Was it any better before?
I find an apple is a handy portable snack, and if I want some protein I bring some almonds or a pepperoni stick.

Exactly. Eat real food, not "bars".

My snacks are fruit, nuts, cheese etc.

This is exactly what I do. I slice up apples,bananas,and strawberries,put them in baggies,and eat those every morning as my work snack. I tried a few "health" bars one time years ago and they gave me a crazy bad stomach ache.

Wrong bar Alfred. I was very clear in my post that it was the Big 100 MRP bar. Here is the one I was referring to:

That box reminds me of,

Water is for toilets; Brawndo is for drinking! and plants. They need electrolytes too!

Don't knock the Met-Rx Big 100 MRP bar (pictured) until you've tried them. By substituting one of these for a reg lunch I've taken off fat, not put it on. It completely quells hunger from lunchtime to just before supper, and has the most diverse protein profile of any bar or shake I've seen lately.

Don't knock the Met-Rx Big 100 MRP bar (pictured) until you've tried them. By substituting one of these for a reg lunch I've taken off fat, not put it on. It completely quells hunger from lunchtime to just before supper, and has the most diverse protein profile of any bar or shake I've seen lately.

Yeah, I maybe went a bit too far there... Do whatever works for you.

Back