Date-(or fig)nuts-and-seeds bars

A couple years ago I made a post about homemade chocolate bars.

I also make date-nuts-and-seeds bars. Dates and/or figs and some dried cranberries go in a blender with cacao and inulin. I may add some maple syrup to make the goop more sticky because it needs to be the binder for the nuts and seeds. I chop the nuts coarsely, usually walnuts, almonds, almonds, and pistachios. Whatever I have. I also add chia, pumpkin, and sunflower seeds. I mix and knead all this stuff until everything is incorporated into a firm ball. I sprinkle a cutting board or work surface with almond flour and flatten the dough ball while shaping it into a rectangle. I get a rectangle that is about 9x6x1 inch. I sprinkle almond flour on top of the dough. I then cut my rectangle into 10 individual pieces. I then take each individual piece and shape it a bit more while dipping the still-sticky sides of each piece into almond flour. The ten pieces go in a Ziploc bag and last me one to two weeks. This is a relatively low-carb (compared to a candy bar) food with lots of Omega 3s from nuts and seeds. It's ideal as a snack when my blood sugar drops during a hike, after run, or after dog-paddling. Most of the carbs are from dates and or figs, and both have been scientifically shown to have a stabilizing effect on blood sugar. One bar contains approximately one large date and 0.6 tsp maple syrup (which you can skip).

Ingredients:

1 cup dried dates and /or dried figs, also some dried cranberries
1 cup mixed nuts (chopped), ideally all fresh and raw (not roasted and unsalted)
12 cup seeds (I like chia, pumpkin, and sunflower seeds)
2 tablespoons inulin (prebiotic)
2 tablespoons cacao (not cocoa)
almond flour or any nut flour (finely ground nuts). If you use pistachio flour the bars will look green. You can also use chia seed flour.

If you want to make keto bars you can use nut butter as a binder rather than dates or figs and skip the maple syrup and the cranberries. You have to adjust the amount of the binder you are using. If you want to make protein bars, you can add egg white as a binder to the mixture and skip the dates and maple syrup but you will have to bake the bars for 20 minutes at 325°F

You can also make those bars look like this if you don't sprinkle them with almond flour.

Wow! They look delicious!

Is the 12 cups of seeds correct? Or is this a typo? It seems like that would be a huge recipe, if it is 12 cups. What nuts do you like to use?

Wow! They look delicious!

Is the 12 cups of seeds correct? Or is this a typo? It seems like that would be a huge recipe, if it is 12 cups. What nuts do you like to use?
1/2 a cup! 12 cups and it's for the birds. :ROFLMAO: Thanks for noticing and pointing out my mistake.

Looks very good! Although almond flour or almond milk can be tricky to use because of it's flavor it seems that by the time it's all added together it minimizes its impact. Just an FYI I use molasses anytime I want to thicken something up. But it doesn't take much and can be a bit tricky to work with if you don't want it too thick.

Thanks for sharing!

Looks very good! Although almond flour or almond milk can be tricky to use because of it's flavor it seems that by the time it's all added together it minimizes its impact. Just an FYI I use molasses anytime I want to thicken something up. But it doesn't take much and can be a bit tricky to work with if you don't want it too thick.

Thanks for sharing!
Endlessly adjustable. By adding more carbs you can make energy bars.

Back